• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
    Results 301 to 325 of 484
    1. #301
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      No, that wouldn't ever happen, because you're summing to n to infinity which is infinity.

    2. #302
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      No, that wouldn't ever happen, because you're summing to n to infinity which is infinity.
      Please elaborate.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    3. #303
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      There are an infinite amount of steps. If the runner stops for n seconds (n>0) each step, he will never catch the tortoise.

    4. #304
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      There are an infinite amount of steps. If the runner stops for n seconds (n>0) each step, he will never catch the tortoise.
      But there are the same infinite steps in the first scenario also. They just don't stop after each step.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    5. #305
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Yes but the time decreases each step which is what solves the paradox. Here the time stays the same.

    6. #306
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      Yes but the time decreases each step which is what solves the paradox. Here the time stays the same.
      So if the stopping time got shorter and shorter every time, it would work? With eternity, there is no limit on time.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    7. #307
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      It depends. If the time was 1 then 1/2 then 1/3 then 1/4 then 1/5 etcetera, no it wouldn't. If the time is 1 then 1/2 then 1/4 then 1/8 then 1/16 (as is the case in Zeno's paradox) then it would.

    8. #308
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    9. #309
      Truth Seeker <span class='glow_9400D3'>LucidDreamGod</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Gender
      Location
      US
      Posts
      2,257
      Likes
      43
      DJ Entries
      4
      I thought of something that might be a real example, you know how your weight increases exponentialy as you reach the speed of light, well it is said that you'd have to way infinite pounds to catch up with light. But light somehow goes that fast.



      I wanna be the very best
      Like no one ever was
      To lucid dream is my real test
      To control them is my cause


    10. #310
      When the ink runs out... Kushna Mufeed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,548
      Likes
      3
      When you say weight, do you mean a force or do you mean mass?

      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff777 View Post
      I am not sorry or empathetic whatsoever for saying that I believe the world would be much better off without people like you in it. Have a great fucking day.
      [broken link removed]The Dynamics of Segrival[/URL]
      Discuss Segrival here
      See my other [broken link removed]

    11. #311
      Truth Seeker <span class='glow_9400D3'>LucidDreamGod</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Gender
      Location
      US
      Posts
      2,257
      Likes
      43
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by Kushna Mufeed View Post
      When you say weight, do you mean a force or do you mean mass?
      Mass



      I wanna be the very best
      Like no one ever was
      To lucid dream is my real test
      To control them is my cause


    12. #312
      When the ink runs out... Kushna Mufeed's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,548
      Likes
      3
      Then that makes no sense. How can mass increase when you increase speed? You can't create matter.

      Pounds is not a measure of mass, it's a measure of force.

      Quote Originally Posted by Jeff777 View Post
      I am not sorry or empathetic whatsoever for saying that I believe the world would be much better off without people like you in it. Have a great fucking day.
      [broken link removed]The Dynamics of Segrival[/URL]
      Discuss Segrival here
      See my other [broken link removed]

    13. #313
      Truth Seeker <span class='glow_9400D3'>LucidDreamGod</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Gender
      Location
      US
      Posts
      2,257
      Likes
      43
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by Kushna Mufeed View Post
      Then that makes no sense. How can mass increase when you increase speed? You can't create matter.

      Pounds is not a measure of mass, it's a measure of force.
      No, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)

      http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/phy99186.htm, curiously it says you would need no mass to catch up to the speed of light, though it does state it increases.



      I wanna be the very best
      Like no one ever was
      To lucid dream is my real test
      To control them is my cause


    14. #314
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      If you have mass, then your mass will multiply until it reaches infinity at the speed of light. According to the kinetic energy equation, 1/2mv^2, this would require infinite energy, which is impossible.

      The only way to do it is if you have no mass. This means that multiplying your mass has no effect, and 1/2mv^2 does not go to infinity.

    15. #315
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      2,119
      Likes
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      If you have mass, then your mass will multiply until it reaches infinity at the speed of light. According to the kinetic energy equation, 1/2mv^2, this would require infinite energy, which is impossible.

      The only way to do it is if you have no mass. This means that multiplying your mass has no effect, and 1/2mv^2 does not go to infinity.
      It's not mass that increases. Einstein may have used the word mass, but that was a mistranslation. Modern physicists understand that it's momentum, not mass, that approaches infinity, and only from the perspective of an outside observer, of course.

      The real fundamental reason you can't hit the speed of light is that no matter how fast you're going, the speed of light is the same. If you're going 0.9c and you turn on your headlights, you will still see light going out at 1c with respect to you. So you can never catch up because that makes no sense.

    16. #316
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Momentum? Is that not just a consequence of your mass increasing though? Because your velocity is bounded by c.

      Unless you are light, of course. Which is where LDG was having trouble.

    17. #317
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      2,119
      Likes
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      Momentum? Is that not just a consequence of your mass increasing though? Because your velocity is bounded by c.

      Unless you are light, of course. Which is where LDG was having trouble.
      Momentum is a fundamental physical quantity. It's not simply m*v. Take an advanced mechanics course, even classical mechanics, and you'll see this. But mass is invariant.

    18. #318
      Look away wendylove's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Secret forum
      Posts
      1,064
      Likes
      1
      Momentum is a fundamental physical quantity. It's not simply m*v. Take an advanced mechanics course, even classical mechanics, and you'll see this. But mass is invariant.
      Thanks. I was under the impression that when a particle moves faster it mass increases.
      Xaqaria
      The planet Earth exhibits all of these properties and therefore can be considered alive and its own single organism by the scientific definition.
      7. Reproduction: The ability to produce new organisms.
      does the planet Earth reproduce, well no unless you count the moon.

    19. #319
      Truth Seeker <span class='glow_9400D3'>LucidDreamGod</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2004
      Gender
      Location
      US
      Posts
      2,257
      Likes
      43
      DJ Entries
      4
      Quote Originally Posted by wendylove View Post
      Thanks. I was under the impression that when a particle moves faster it mass increases.
      Me as well, your a pretty smart guy I must admit.



      I wanna be the very best
      Like no one ever was
      To lucid dream is my real test
      To control them is my cause


    20. #320
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      But momentum can be calculated by the product of mass and velocity?

      And hence you're saying that effectively at what we could call lightspeed, its velocity is infinite?

      I haven't studied SR yet so I genuinely don't know.

    21. #321
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      2,119
      Likes
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      But momentum can be calculated by the product of mass and velocity?
      No, it can't. That's a special case which only applies to large, slow moving objects not in the vicinity of a vector potential field.

      Quote Originally Posted by Xei View Post
      And hence you're saying that effectively at what we could call lightspeed, its velocity is infinite?

      I haven't studied SR yet so I genuinely don't know.
      There's an added factor in the SR correction. p = gamma_u*m*v, where gamma_u is the usual 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). Now it's valid for large, fast moving objects not in the vicinity of a vector potential field.

    22. #322
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Uhhh okay. I'll come back when I'm an undergrad.

      ...actually reading that properly it's not too bad. So neither its mass nor its velocity increases, but the new factor. Ok.

    23. #323
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Hmmm... somebody calculate e^pi - pi.


    24. #324
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Ontario
      Posts
      2,119
      Likes
      3
      20?

    25. #325
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      You dirty physicist.

    Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •