• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 51
    Like Tree20Likes

    Thread: Athiest vs religion? sorta

    1. #1
      Queen of insomnia marlie's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      342
      Likes
      4
      DJ Entries
      1

      Athiest vs religion? sorta

      Im always a teeny bit reluctant to post anything on the religion section, mostly because *some* users take a weird troll semi insulting stance on this topic... please note i say SOME not all.. and i would very much value any sensible answer to my unaccusing question... Also i apologise in advance if there is a thread on this already.. i put my hands up to not having checked all threads carefully.

      anyhooo without stating my religious/atheist stance..

      I was wondering if anyone could explain.. why Atheists have a title at all.. atheists from my understanding do not hate the idea of religion.. nor have any particular issue with others beliving.. simply do not belive themselfs so in some ways they are just non existent to religion. so why give "Atheism" a name.. if you dont belive.. you dont belive.. why has there ended up being a " non religious religion" called atheism.. sort of, why do complete unbelivers.. have any place in such as.. i dont know.. those stupid pieces of paper in your job applications " please state your religion..christan.. buddist.. pagen.. atheist.. why isnt the word athiest simply stated as "none" why is it regarded almost as if it is a religion. Now this isnt in any way shape or form me being anti-athiest.. or pro religion.. or vice versa.. i am genuinley interested if anyone can explain the reason behind this, because i honestly dont know... and pherhaps i am being completely idiotic.. but if you dont ask.. you dont find out.

      I am aware of my ridiculously bad spelling/grammer i havent slept for a couple of days, as many of you know i am a terrible insomniac ..so quoting every spelling mistake i made will not be regarded as a worthwhile post on this thread ty.
      Jesus of Suburbia likes this.


      My Dream Journal
      An erection doesnt count as personal growth.

    2. #2
      Member SkA_DaRk_Che's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      244
      Likes
      48
      Atheism is just a word which describes the lack of belief a god(s). It just describes a stance on relegion, it is not itself a relegion.

      A relegion is a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny
      Last edited by SkA_DaRk_Che; 01-29-2010 at 10:52 PM.
      Jesus of Suburbia likes this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Siиdяed View Post
      Talking about women and sex --> instant testoteroney arguments among pasty white internet shut-ins everywhere.

    3. #3
      Christian youssarian's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Independence, Kansas
      Posts
      441
      Likes
      41
      Well plus, there's a name for everything, no matter how abstract it is, if it's known of. And if it isn't yet, when they discover it, it will get named.
      Jesus of Suburbia likes this.
      Learn the art of lucid dreaming in a whole new way!
      LD Count: 37 (35 DILD, 2 DEILD)

      Hey Newbies! Did you read the main pages and the tutorials? It will help you immensely.

      Zenventive: art, health, philosophy
      You are dreaming!

    4. #4
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      The Weak and the Wounded
      Posts
      4,925
      Likes
      485
      Quote Originally Posted by Soros View Post
      relegion

      I hate to be a grammar nazi, but the name of the forum we're in should have given you a hint.


      In respect to the OP, Atheism is only such a common phrase because of it's significance at the moment. We're all A-afucktonofthings but those aren't common topics of debate.


      It's not really important, for me. Just saying what you think about an issue usually suffices. If someone asks me my religious beliefs I try to explain what I think, without using blanket terms which can easily be misread. An example of this is some people assume atheism is a claim that god does not exist certainly, rather than merely a lack of belief. Confusions like this, I do not enjoy.
      Jesus of Suburbia likes this.

    5. #5
      Member SkA_DaRk_Che's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Posts
      244
      Likes
      48
      Quote Originally Posted by Car˘usoul View Post
      I hate to be a grammar nazi, but the name of the forum we're in should have given you a hint.


      lol one measly misplaced letter....I can't get anything past you Car˘usoul, can't i now?
      Jesus of Suburbia likes this.
      Quote Originally Posted by Siиdяed View Post
      Talking about women and sex --> instant testoteroney arguments among pasty white internet shut-ins everywhere.

    6. #6
      Miss Sixy <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Gender
      Location
      Seiren
      Posts
      5,003
      Likes
      1408
      DJ Entries
      82
      Atheism is just a label, sort of like one might label that leafy chunk of plant matter in your fridge as "lettuce." It comes from the greek prefix "a-" meaning "without," and the root "theism," meaning religion. It literally translates to "without religion." That's...basically it. I'm an atheist...I only say that for two reasons: 1. it's shorter than saying, "I don't believe in God," and 2. it carries that sort of smug bastard connotation with it, which I kind of like.
      Jesus of Suburbia and marlie like this.

      Click the sig for my Dream Journal
      444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

    7. #7
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Location
      The Weak and the Wounded
      Posts
      4,925
      Likes
      485
      Quote Originally Posted by SkA_DaRk_Che View Post
      .I can't get anything past you Car˘usoul, can't i now?
      It is hard.
      Jesus of Suburbia likes this.

    8. #8
      Member Scatterbrain's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,729
      Likes
      90
      Quote Originally Posted by marlie View Post
      why isnt the word athiest simply stated as "none"
      That's what I usually answer when asked about my religion. I really don't like to use the word 'atheist', it sounds like some sort of religion or ideal, even though it isn't.
      marlie likes this.
      - Are you an idiot?
      - No sir, I'm a dreamer.

    9. #9
      Member Photolysis's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,270
      Likes
      316
      The reason why atheists have a title at all is because many people are religious, and because religion is generally considered important to many.

      Similarly, many people drink alcohol, which is why those who don't earn the title of teetotallers, instead of there being a name for people who consume alcohol.

    10. #10
      King of All Wild Things Tarsier's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      BC, Canada
      Posts
      573
      Likes
      62
      Atheists sometimes seem to treat their belief as more of a religion than some Christians do.. At least on here..

      They spend a lot of time trying to find reasons why other belief systems are wrong, because if they aren't wrong, it means bad things for them. It's like studying a holy book, but instead of taking advice/wisdom from a god they're taking it from scientists.
      Kiza likes this.
      LDs since joining DV:
      DILD:56
      WILD:2
      last LD: Wednesday, March 31, 2010

    11. #11
      Dead Roach Samuel Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Kiza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      945
      Likes
      16
      Gotta agree with Tarsier here. There are Atheists out there who have turned the lack of belief in God/gods into a crusade of sorts; the kind of atheists who find it admirable to destroy faith of all sorts. I wouldn't be surprised if soon that kind of atheist starts preaching door-to-door right alongside the Jehovah's Witnesses. We already have a Church of Atheism.
      Last edited by Kiza; 02-02-2010 at 01:04 PM.
      acatalephobic likes this.
      A turd with a bullet in it ain't exactly 5 O'Clock News Ray

    12. #12
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Yep, I strongly believe there's no floating man in the sky, how militant of me.

    13. #13
      Dead Roach Samuel Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Kiza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      945
      Likes
      16
      There are some atheists out there . . .
      Note that this was not directed at all atheists. I'm an agnostic atheist myself. I've just observed this trend of militant atheism around. There are some hardcore atheists who seek to convert others to their point of view with the same zeal as some Christians. It's a minority, as I believe it to be in Christianity, that does this, but it's the vocal minority.

      EDIT: Just realised I didn't even put "some" in my original post, but the point still holds true: I did assert in there that was not referring to all atheists.
      Last edited by Kiza; 02-02-2010 at 01:49 PM.
      A turd with a bullet in it ain't exactly 5 O'Clock News Ray

    14. #14
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5840
      DJ Entries
      172
      Kiza, I"d like to respond to your point. I've been guilty at times of posting atheist rants. But I only do it in response to religious rants posted by others. I used to feel like "to each their own" and "let sleeping dogs lie" etc, and not feel any need to respond when people post religious ideas.

      But after a while it became clear to me... if we (atheists) just sit back and turn the other cheek and let religious posts go up all over the place without posting an alternative viewpoint, then we're letting religious views dominate. Young people who haven't formed a viewpoint yet could see all these religious posts without any balancing alternatives, and just simply accept the populist religious viewpoint. It's not that I think that would be the worst thing that could happen... I have nothing against religion or religious people unless they're extremists or fundies... I just think it's important for voices to be heard on both sides.

    15. #15
      Member Scatterbrain's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,729
      Likes
      90
      Quote Originally Posted by Tarsier View Post
      It's like studying a holy book, but instead of taking advice/wisdom from a god they're taking it from scientists.
      Yes, it's exactly like that.

      Like those people that take medical advice from doctors instead of seeking a reiki guy.
      jarrhead likes this.
      - Are you an idiot?
      - No sir, I'm a dreamer.

    16. #16
      Retired Post Whore-73PPD jarrhead's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      82
      Gender
      Location
      Tijeras/Albuquerque
      Posts
      1,938
      Likes
      122
      DJ Entries
      24
      Quote Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
      Yes, it's exactly like that.

      Like those people that take medical advice from doctors instead of seeking a reiki guy.
      Pure ownage. Two perfect analogies.

    17. #17
      Miss Sixy <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Gender
      Location
      Seiren
      Posts
      5,003
      Likes
      1408
      DJ Entries
      82
      Nice difference between faith and science: science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of truth to preserve belief. If you could show to me that, say, there really is a floating man in the sky, I'll be happy beyond all reason, I'll spin on a dime. I'd be embarrassed as hell, but I'd run through the streets shouting, "Take physics and bin it! God is real!" As an atheist, I'm fully willing to shift my stance if enough evidence for a different argument comes to light. Interestingly enough, though, the amount of evidence available for such a divine being has refused to grow at all; in fact, the further along we go, the less likely it is seeming that any sort of higher power (at least in the Judeo-Christian sense) exists. I don't care if people study Christianity and believe it, but if they're going to spread it around and voice their opinions on the matter, I'm going to voice my opinions on the matter.

      Click the sig for my Dream Journal
      444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

    18. #18
      Member Scatterbrain's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,729
      Likes
      90
      Come on, plagiarism isn't cool.
      - Are you an idiot?
      - No sir, I'm a dreamer.

    19. #19
      Retired Post Whore-73PPD jarrhead's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      82
      Gender
      Location
      Tijeras/Albuquerque
      Posts
      1,938
      Likes
      122
      DJ Entries
      24
      Really Mario? At least quote it.

      Lots of that taken from Tim Minchin's 9-minute beat poem "Storm"

    20. #20
      King of All Wild Things Tarsier's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      BC, Canada
      Posts
      573
      Likes
      62
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      Kiza, I"d like to respond to your point. I've been guilty at times of posting atheist rants. But I only do it in response to religious rants posted by others. I used to feel like "to each their own" and "let sleeping dogs lie" etc, and not feel any need to respond when people post religious ideas.

      But after a while it became clear to me... if we (atheists) just sit back and turn the other cheek and let religious posts go up all over the place without posting an alternative viewpoint, then we're letting religious views dominate. Young people who haven't formed a viewpoint yet could see all these religious posts without any balancing alternatives, and just simply accept the populist religious viewpoint. It's not that I think that would be the worst thing that could happen... I have nothing against religion or religious people unless they're extremists or fundies... I just think it's important for voices to be heard on both sides.
      Trust me, there is no danger of kids in public schools becoming religious, except maybe in elementary school. It's looked down upon to believe in God, and all the teachers and students scoff at anyone who does.. at least where I am.. might be different over there in the US.

      But even so, what IS the danger? People find a purpose to their life and start living by a moral code, oh no! It's not like they're going to go on a crusade man.
      LDs since joining DV:
      DILD:56
      WILD:2
      last LD: Wednesday, March 31, 2010

    21. #21
      Retired Post Whore-73PPD jarrhead's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      82
      Gender
      Location
      Tijeras/Albuquerque
      Posts
      1,938
      Likes
      122
      DJ Entries
      24
      Quote Originally Posted by Tarsier View Post
      Trust me, there is no danger of kids in public schools becoming religious, except maybe in elementary school. It's looked down upon to believe in God, and all the teachers and students scoff at anyone who does.. at least where I am.. might be different over there in the US.

      But even so, what IS the danger? People find a purpose to their life and start living by a moral code, oh no! It's not like they're going to go on a crusade man.
      And that is why I believe religion is a positive thing AT THIS TIME PERIOD.

      It keeps people moral and does other good, though I don't believe in it.

    22. #22
      Dead Roach Samuel Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Kiza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      945
      Likes
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      Kiza, I"d like to respond to your point. I've been guilty at times of posting atheist rants. But I only do it in response to religious rants posted by others. I used to feel like "to each their own" and "let sleeping dogs lie" etc, and not feel any need to respond when people post religious ideas.

      But after a while it became clear to me... if we (atheists) just sit back and turn the other cheek and let religious posts go up all over the place without posting an alternative viewpoint, then we're letting religious views dominate. Young people who haven't formed a viewpoint yet could see all these religious posts without any balancing alternatives, and just simply accept the populist religious viewpoint. It's not that I think that would be the worst thing that could happen... I have nothing against religion or religious people unless they're extremists or fundies... I just think it's important for voices to be heard on both sides.
      I personally have no problem with that. Religious debate is fine by me, even if I do find it incredibly futile. I only object to those militants that actively seek to destroy Christian belief in God: they are the same as any other extremist. A man who attempts ardently to convert someone else to his way of thinking is just as bad as any others that do so, whether he is Christian or atheist or Buddhist or Hindu.
      A turd with a bullet in it ain't exactly 5 O'Clock News Ray

    23. #23
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Posts
      715
      Likes
      31
      A majority of the 'militant atheist rants' you see are people who care about scientific truth explaining to a believer why their understanding of evolution/the big bang/any other scientific theory you care to point to is either incomplete or flat out wrong, which is why they are drawing their false conclusion from it.

      It's just rather unfortunate that a lot of theists 'think' they understand what science can tell us about the big truths such as human and/or cosmological origins because they are projecting onto those theories the same doubts they ought to have about their own framework of the world.

      Also the idea of a constantly updating world view is quite scary to some people, who prefer their lives to be static and unchanging. "First it was Newtons Laws then it was Einstein with Relativity and now they're trying to find a QUANTUM gravity?! Science doesn't know what it's on about, it keeps changing the story, making it up as they go along!"

    24. #24
      Dead Roach Samuel Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      Kiza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      945
      Likes
      16
      Quote Originally Posted by Alextanium View Post
      A majority of the 'militant atheist rants' you see are people who care about scientific truth explaining to a believer why their understanding of evolution/the big bang/any other scientific theory you care to point to is either incomplete or flat out wrong, which is why they are drawing their false conclusion from it.
      Why do you assume that? A lot of the militant atheist rants I see are militant atheists actively seeking to destroy religious belief. Believe it or not, there are some religious believers out there who both believe in God and the scientific method. What's the difference between a non-believer trying to destroy a Christian belief in God, and a believer aggressively trying to convert an atheist into his way of thinking?
      A turd with a bullet in it ain't exactly 5 O'Clock News Ray

    25. #25
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5840
      DJ Entries
      172
      Quote Originally Posted by Tarsier View Post
      Trust me, there is no danger of kids in public schools becoming religious, except maybe in elementary school. It's looked down upon to believe in God, and all the teachers and students scoff at anyone who does.. at least where I am.. might be different over there in the US.

      But even so, what IS the danger? People find a purpose to their life and start living by a moral code, oh no! It's not like they're going to go on a crusade man.
      Start living by a moral code? So then you assume that atheists are immoral people. Purpose? I asked in another thread (or maybe it was thins one?)... what is this purpose that only christians apparently have? I make my own purpose in life. I give my life meaning through art and animation... to entertain people and grow as an artist and human being in the process. I ask once again, what is the purpose christians are always speaking of?

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •