• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 56
    Like Tree25Likes

    Thread: Current events/news

    1. #1
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255

      Post Current events/news

      Here's a thread where we post current events/news not about conspiracy theories, anti gun laws and obamacare.

      First off i will post these current events/news:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIYV...LYZA4dmDt4Cd6A
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t5U...LYZA4dmDt4Cd6A

      http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/chile-e...ll-6-1.2594894
      Last edited by hathor28; 04-02-2014 at 02:46 PM.
      Universal Mind likes this.

    2. #2
      Banned
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,590
      Likes
      521
      Sandy Hook was a hax

    3. #3
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by cmind View Post
      Sandy Hook was a hax
      * hoax

      I agree.






      Here is a bonus:

      hathor28 likes this.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    4. #4
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Universal Mind likes this.

    5. #5
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      The Pacific and Nazca plates have been busy lately. A few mid-level earthquakes near L.A. a few weeks ago, the 8.2 off the coast of Chile yesterday, and now a 5.8 near Panama today. Good discussion topics for my geology class.

      Edit: 7.4 magnitude earthquake just happened off Chile (10:43 PM EDT).

      Edit 2: USGS upgraded it to a 7.8 magnitude earthquake, and places the epicenter on-land.
      Last edited by BLUELINE976; 04-03-2014 at 04:15 AM.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    6. #6
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Just heard about the after shock. Damn, LA got off easy. Must be all the Scientologism.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    7. #7
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Universal Mind likes this.

    8. #8
      Banned
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,590
      Likes
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE976 View Post
      The Pacific and Nazca plates have been busy lately. A few mid-level earthquakes near L.A. a few weeks ago, the 8.2 off the coast of Chile yesterday, and now a 5.8 near Panama today. Good discussion topics for my geology class.

      Edit: 7.4 magnitude earthquake just happened off Chile (10:43 PM EDT).

      Edit 2: USGS upgraded it to a 7.8 magnitude earthquake, and places the epicenter on-land.
      We need Snake Plissken.

    9. #9
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Last edited by hathor28; 04-04-2014 at 01:49 AM.

    10. #10
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Mozilla's CEO Brenden Eich resigned after OKCupid promoted a Mozilla boycott because the CEO donated 1,000 dollars to prop 8 in 2008. If you aren't aware, prop 8 was a California ballot to ban gay marriage.

      Mozilla CEO Resigns After Calif. Gay Marriage Ban Campaign Donation - ABC News
      ~Dreamer~ likes this.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    11. #11
      Banned
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,590
      Likes
      521
      Gay marriage people are hypocrites. They want gay marriage but they won't allow polygamy.

    12. #12
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      That's funny because one major argument against gay marriage is that it's a slippery slope and next people will push to marry their dogs. Like it's the gateway marriage, and here you are calling activists hypocrites for not trying to take a mile with an inch. By those standards, why aren't people that only support heterosexual marriage just as hypocritical?

      Legally speaking polygamy would be hard to do, the whole point of gay marriage is to give your same-sex significant other the right to de facto inherit your shit if you die without a will, or keep you plugged in (or pull it) if you go on life-support without a living will, or allow the joint adoption of a child so if the natural parent dies the spouse retains legal guardian status. It also comes down to things as simple as being allowed to visit your SO in the hospital, but that's not really where the dilemma is. The dilemma is that your spouse has precedence if you lack a will or living will, and if you're allowed multiple spouses it negates precedence and could cause legal debacles that don't help anybody. The battle between parents and spouses is bad enough regarding these issues but luckily in this country the spouse has precedence over the parents.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    13. #13
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Last edited by hathor28; 04-04-2014 at 05:54 PM.

    14. #14
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    15. #15
      Banned
      Join Date
      Dec 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      1,590
      Likes
      521
      Quote Originally Posted by Original Poster View Post
      By those standards, why aren't people that only support heterosexual marriage just as hypocritical?
      Nope. Hypocritical, but not as much. Traditional conservatism has been pretty consistent on what constitutes marriage for about 2000 years. They never argued to expand the definition to include some types but exclude others. It is only modern liberalism that seeks to both toss aside the traditional definition and at the same time exclude other definitions. This is a key distinction.

      And let's be honest here. The only reasons liberals hate polygamy are twofold: 1) mormons do it, and mormons are religious, and religion is bad, and 2) polygamy is usually 1 man to several women, which offends the feminists.

      Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if the government just got out of the marriage business entirely.
      Last edited by cmind; 04-04-2014 at 09:02 PM.

    16. #16
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Homosexual and polygamous marriage should both be legal. Heterosexual marriage should be illegal because it is not what the Flying Spaghetti Monster intended.
      OneUp and Treb like this.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    17. #17
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by cmind View Post
      Nope. Hypocritical, but not as much. Traditional conservatism has been pretty consistent on what constitutes marriage for about 2000 years. They never argued to expand the definition to include some types but exclude others. It is only modern liberalism that seeks to both toss aside the traditional definition and at the same time exclude other definitions. This is a key distinction.

      And let's be honest here. The only reasons liberals hate polygamy are twofold: 1) mormons do it, and mormons are religious, and religion is bad, and 2) polygamy is usually 1 man to several women, which offends the feminists.

      Of course, this wouldn't be a problem if the government just got out of the marriage business entirely.
      I didn't bother bringing this up, but a "gay marriage people" is defined by only one trait, they're in favor of gay marriage. You'd likely find more people in the anti-gay marriage side of the fence against polygamy than in the pro-gay marriage side, simply because the pro-gay marriage side includes libertarians like U.M.

      And you can't take the government out of marriage because it's not legally meaningless, as I've already explained it directly relates to inheritance, life-support rights and legal guardian status. You need a binding contract between people to grant each other de facto rights for those situations. That's all marriage is, a contract. Traditional marriage existed for a specific purpose regarding land and inheritance, and it still holds that purpose but there's no reason to disqualify this inheritance simply because the couple is same sex. In fact, by simply extending marriage law to same sex couples it simplifies the matter of legal guardian status and everything else and prevents a lot of head aches. Granting multiple people the same de facto rights would only increase the head aches.

      But none of that even comes close to the major point you've failed to address. You're essentially bitching at activists for refusing to take a mile with an inch, for not following through with the fallacy used to argue against them. You've still utterly failed to give a good reason why being pro gay marriage is more hypocritical, same sex couples have wanted to get married since as long as homosexuality has existed, their stance hasn't changed any more than anti-gay marriage. It's just that now you don't get lit on fire for promoting it.

      Seriously, your argument is essentially the same as calling civil rights activists hypocrites for not wanting to extend voting rights to chimpanzees just because they wanted to grant that right to women and minorities.
      Last edited by Original Poster; 04-05-2014 at 07:25 AM.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    18. #18
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      juroara and hathor28 like this.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    19. #19
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      I've been looking into this for a while, but it finally hit the Times last week: Why Only One Top Banker went to Jail for Financial Crisis

      Pretty much seals the coffin on American Democracy.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    20. #20
      Rebellious scientist Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Voldmer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      LD Count
      500
      Gender
      Location
      Denmark
      Posts
      605
      Likes
      603
      What is modern democracy but a dictatorship, with parts of the population electing a group of oligarchs, which in turn appoint the people in charge of running the dictatorship?
      So ... is this the real universe, or is it just a preliminary study?

    21. #21
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      This woman is facing 7 years for elbowing a cop. She claims he was sexually assaulting her.

      hathor28 likes this.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    22. #22
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    23. #23
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      So we're on the verge of over-turning Super PACs, the infrastructure is already in place for a mass exodus to google fiber if we can stop telecom lobbyists, John Oliver is putting massive pressure on the FCC to do the right thing, polls show despite NBC and CNN's best efforts to rig the public opinion, the majority of Americans side with Snowden.

      It's easy to get drained by all the negativity, to see the country as slipping into a GOP envisioned dystopia with the DNC acting as a buffer to suck up all the resentment. It's difficult to remember that plenty of democrats, and a republican or two, are still doing their honest best for the country, that even if the biggest news and cable companies are in cahoots to form a monopoly and control every aspect of public perception in America, the dissenters are never far off the beaten path and people just aren't buying into this bullshit anymore.

      Then of course, you hear this: Report: Honeybee Death Rate is Currently too High for Survival of the Species and remember that no matter what social justices we protect and tyrannies we stop, we're still completely fucked. Even Fox News has stopped bothering to deny global warming because at this point there's no more purpose in creating a wash, the ship is sinking no matter what. When Fox News drops a charade, it's never because the truth has proven irrefutable. Neither the company nor its audience has much concern over truth. It's because the charade has fulfilled its purpose. Whatever reason conservatives had for inhibiting the call to arms against global warming, they've likely succeeded.
      GavinGill and hathor28 like this.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    24. #24
      Member Achievements:
      Populated Wall Tagger First Class 3 years registered 1000 Hall Points
      TwoCrystalCups's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Posts
      1,899
      Likes
      1255
      Now for the plot twist! A freedom "known" fighter has emerged in Canada....go look at his facebook profile...it's all anti gov stuff and all pro-gun.

      Moncton shooting: Finding, arresting suspect 'top priority' - New Brunswick - CBC News
      This is all from someone who "had enough of gov" but i know media is going to say he is mentally deranged.

      Then more control for guns in Canada....like we haven't had enough already??...makes no sense.
      Moncton shooting: National Firearms Association blasts gun rules after deadly attack - Canada - CBC News

      Last edited by hathor28; 06-06-2014 at 01:48 AM.

    25. #25
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      <s><span class='glow_9ACD32'>DeletePlease</span></s>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      Posts
      2,685
      Likes
      2883
      DJ Entries
      12
      Quote Originally Posted by hathor28 View Post
      Now for the plot twist! A freedom "known" fighter has emerged in Canada....go look at his facebook profile...it's all anti gov stuff and all pro-gun.

      Moncton shooting: Finding, arresting suspect 'top priority' - New Brunswick - CBC News
      This is all from someone who "had enough of gov" but i know media is going to say he is mentally deranged.

      Then more control for guns in Canada....like we haven't had enough already??...makes no sense.
      Moncton shooting: National Firearms Association blasts gun rules after deadly attack - Canada - CBC News
      The guy is a nutjob.

      Being anti-gov is meaningless unless you have the intentions and the means to bring about genuine reform. This guy's just an armchair-revolutionary with no knowledge whatsoever about socio-political change and has done a great deal of damage to anyone who supports gun rights. This mental health issue is going to be sidetracked by knee-jerk reactions calling for more gun control (even though Canada does a fine job of it already), and pro-gun citizens are going to get caught in the same nonsense as the Americans have gotten themselves into. The only way to curb the damage done by this jackass is to remind people that mass shootings are a primarily a mental health issue.
      Last edited by GavinGill; 06-08-2014 at 05:09 AM.

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Good News And Bad News
      By Led in forum Senseless Banter
      Replies: 16
      Last Post: 01-10-2012, 10:35 PM
    2. Good News, Bad News!
      By Puffin in forum Senseless Banter
      Replies: 201
      Last Post: 03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
    3. Confusing Dream events for Life events?
      By ThePreserver in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 04-08-2010, 03:10 AM
    4. good news/bad news about my lucid attempts
      By DorjeDarby in forum Attaining Lucidity
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: 07-15-2009, 04:48 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •