• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    Results 76 to 100 of 413
    Like Tree1Likes

    Thread: The Law Of Attraction

    1. #76
      Invading the Ivory Tower Swank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melb, Aus
      Posts
      231
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Lucid Seeker View Post
      I just hate the way that this piece of New Age crap tries to use science to make it look more credible, it angers me so much. It angers me even more when people fall for it. The Secret feeds on your emotions and thats how it looks more credible, it says that you can have anything you want and thats where people get dragged in. I really would love to meet face to face with who ever wrote the book "The Secret".
      The authors of the book & movie 'The Secret' were not exactly the first to come up with this concept - as such it is not some 'new age crap'. As stated in both the book and the movie however, the theology of practical use of the law of attraction dates back thousands of years. I myself, after seeing the secret, decided to do some research on it's credibility (seeing as I was frustrated that their technique didnt work for me).

      I've read about 6 books on this type of theory, the majority of them by Esther Hicks, who channels the words of 'Abraham', a non-physical entity. The books written by her are older and far more in-depth than the secret, and I've found that the techniques and general principles she describes make a lot more sense and yes, I've tried them myself, and I for one can say that they do work. It's all a matter of what you believe is possible and for most, it's an idea that sounds way too easy to work.

      I leave your own judgement to you but I can safely say if you read the abraham channellings (www.abraham-hicks.com) you might think differently. I'm quite happy for most people to think its all absolute bullshit, all the more for me

      By the way this is by no means a personal attack, just a statement that Ive read into it and have decided there is plenty of merit to it all.

      TFC

    2. #77
      ex-redhat ClouD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      4,760
      Likes
      129
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Seismosaur View Post
      Unfortunatley, this law doesn't account for other people's thoughts. Therefore it contradicts itself .
      Unless, we are all one.

      In less "complicated" terms, if we are all "linked" subconsciously (at the least).
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

    3. #78
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Quote Originally Posted by cloudWalker View Post
      Unless, we are all one.

      In less "complicated" terms, if we are all "linked" subconsciously (at the least).
      But then there goes free will .

    4. #79
      ex-redhat ClouD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      4,760
      Likes
      129
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Seismosaur View Post
      But then there goes free will .
      At least the illusion of it anyway...
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

    5. #80
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Quote Originally Posted by cloudWalker View Post
      At least the illusion of it anyway...
      Mabey.

    6. #81
      Invading the Ivory Tower Swank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melb, Aus
      Posts
      231
      Likes
      1
      A book I once read likened human to human consciousness similar to the air inside a house: There's the air in the living room, the air in the kitchen, different air in the bedroom and bathroom etc, so its different, but the same because its all joined together as well.

      More on topic, the law of attraction works closely with how you feel about the things you are concentrating on attracting: if for example you really want to say go out with someone of the opposite sex, and they end up choosing someone else, a) you will feel good about it because you know seeing as you are attracting someone like that you will find someone like that, and b) you WILL end up finding someone even better.

      In my experiments with this attraction crap, I focused on getting a new car, I focused on the one I wanted, the price, kms etc, I saw lots that were just a bit above the price or with things i didnt want. One day I decided to change my focus from a particular car to just one that I felt really good in. A week later I bought an even better model than that one I was wanting, at the price and kms that I asked for. Sounds silly but I dont care, I drive a Honda Integra now

    7. #82
      Member illusions's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Gender
      Location
      United Kingdom
      Posts
      89
      Likes
      0
      Great Posts, Final Cut, and Excellent points!
      I love the air analogy. And Congratulations on your new car!

      I also manifested a car - when I didn't have the money to buy one! I didn't mind what kind of car it was, as long as it was "new" - meaning new-feeling.
      I didn't mind if it was second hand, just not old, like all my previous cars.

      I'd always had trouble with cars - old, breaking down... and I'd never had the money or the opportunity to have a nice car. Earlier this year I was in a position where I had no car at all (my last one had conked out), and I was catching buses and walking - which I didn't mind doing except that it was taking up so much time! And I was catching 4 buses a day to take and fetch my son from school (which is on the opposite side of the city to where we live).

      One day I took the opportunity while I was walking, to imagine I was driving a car - one that felt new to me. One that was in beautiful condition, and felt abundant. I felt and "saw" in my mind, the gear lever, the steering wheel, the indicator, and so on. I did that a few times - not that much.

      In April, I got an old second hand car off ebay - which I was happy with. It wasn't what I'd imagined, but it was Very reliable. I had no major problems with it.

      Then, out of the blue, in about July, a relative offered to buy a car for my partner and me! We hadn't mentioned anything to them about wanting a car, and the subject hadn't come up before - we don't see them very often as they live quite far away, but they just decided she should have a new car. And they insisted it be a really good car. Second hand, but in "new" condition. We went round looking and test driving, and I now drive a Beautiful silver VW Bora, which I love. It feeeels even better than I'd imagined those times while walking It's absolutely gorgeous, in imacculate condition, and I feel great driving it.

      There's a lot more that I've manifested - specific things, (including my ideal partner) but this is long enough already lol

      Love and Light and Magic xxx

    8. #83
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      0
      Last edited by Mystic7; 10-23-2007 at 07:13 AM.

    9. #84
      ex-redhat ClouD's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      4,760
      Likes
      129
      DJ Entries
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Seismosaur View Post
      Mabey.
      And in the disillusionment, again, there is the greater illusion.

      "Maybe", describes it perfectly.
      You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light.

    10. #85
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      Yesterday I tried using the secret...I wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich so I meditated and put it out there to the universe and a few hours later I got hungry and looked in my fridge and found the jelly, I looked in my cabinet and found the peanut butter and then I went out and bought some bread. The secret DOES work
      Things are not as they seem

    11. #86
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut_Jeff777 View Post
      Yesterday I tried using the secret...I wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwhich so I meditated and put it out there to the universe and a few hours later I got hungry and looked in my fridge and found the jelly, I looked in my cabinet and found the peanut butter and then I went out and bought some bread. The secret DOES work

    12. #87
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      0

    13. #88
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Jul 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      8
      Likes
      0
      Here's a rant I wrote about The Secret and The Law of Attraction a while ago. I'll repost it here:




      You may have heard of “The Secret”, a fairly recent film promoting ‘The Law of Attraction’. Here is a quote from the official website:

      One spring day towards the end of 2004, Rhonda Byrne discovered a secret - the secret laws and principles of the universe… It seemed to Rhonda that almost no-one knew the things that she had discovered, even though the concepts could be found in almost every religion and field of human endeavour throughout history… And on that spring day in 2004, when a small, old book called The Science of Getting Rich was put into her hands, and Rhonda's whole life suddenly pulled into spectacular focus, she knew exactly what her mission was to become.”

      Now if you’re a normal, rational person, this quote should seem completely nonsensical to you. According to the above, Rhonda discovered “the secret laws and principles of the universe”, a feat perhaps only accomplished by ancient sages and saints such as Jesus Christ or Siddhartha Gautama. And what is she doing with this newfound knowledge? Making shitty self-help films.

      It occurred to Rhonda that “almost no-one knew the things that she had discovered”. However, it seems that her sudden revelation happened due to this ‘ancient text’, The Science of Getting Rich. Theoretically, anyone who read this book would suddenly understand the mystical secrets of the universe. However, it would seem that Rhonda was the only one. Why? I submit that this is because she is a pompous asshat who has rearranged basic life concepts and classic ‘bitchy eletist schoolgirl tactics’ into a terrifyingly cinematic production that is solely for the purpose of making lots of cash.

      The website divulges almost no information about “The Secret”, so I decided to look it up on the almighty Wikipedia. Once a given person buys “The Secret”, it is revealed to be complete bullshit. Obviously, this is why the website tells you nothing but vague and hollow promises. This is what I have called the ‘bitchy eletist schoolgirl tactics’, because all the people behind “The Secret” are doing is making false claims about their secret club for money.

      The main idea of “The Secret” is the ‘Law of Attraction’. My bullshit detector is already going off, because we know that such a terrible film certainly cannot be based on a real scientific ‘Law’. But let’s continue anyhow. The Law of Attraction states “you get what you think about; your thoughts determine your experience." On a basic level, this is very well known. If you think “I’m going to try my best to win this baseball game”, you are more likely to succeed than if you think “Oh man, I suck at baseball, I’ll never win this game”. Duh. I don’t even need to go into more detail. You know this already. However, the idea that someone would make a film about this, and sell it to people, is apalling. The grotesque overexaggerations promoted in the film only make things worse. Some of the ideas asserted by the movie and the people on the community forums are absolutely ludicrous, no less ridiculous than ‘magic’. They take the basic principle of optimism and turn it into some kind of obnoxious magic ritual. “You want to win the lottery? Just sit there and stare at your ticket, thinking about how you’re destined to win, and bam! You win the lottery! It’s that simple!” Of course, the five-zillion people who didn’t win the lottery delude themselves into thinking this still works, while the one guy who does happento win the lottery is displayed as a prime example of “The Secret” in action. The whole idea is based on self-delusion and pathetic wishful thinking. Oh, you didn’t win the lottery? Your Ex-Husband didn’t get back together with you? But you got to sit in just the spot you wanted in Yoga class, because you thought positively about it! The Secret works! All hail The Secret!

      Of course, the creators of “The Secret” try to pass it off as a scientific principle. Their website and movie is full of bullshit references to Quantum Physics and such. Of course nobody understands Quantum Physics, so nobody’s going to complain. If Quantum Physics actually allows a person’s pathetic wishful thoughts to physically change the atomic structure of a lottery ticket, I will eat my hat.

      In conclusion, don’t bother buying this movie. If you’ve already subscribed to this Psuedo-Philosophy, please give me your address so I can kick you in the face.

    14. #89
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Quote Originally Posted by Kamickalo View Post
      Here's a rant I wrote about The Secret and The Law of Attraction a while ago. I'll repost it here:




      You may have heard of “The Secret”, a fairly recent film promoting ‘The Law of Attraction’. Here is a quote from the official website:

      One spring day towards the end of 2004, Rhonda Byrne discovered a secret - the secret laws and principles of the universe… It seemed to Rhonda that almost no-one knew the things that she had discovered, even though the concepts could be found in almost every religion and field of human endeavour throughout history… And on that spring day in 2004, when a small, old book called The Science of Getting Rich was put into her hands, and Rhonda's whole life suddenly pulled into spectacular focus, she knew exactly what her mission was to become.”

      Now if you’re a normal, rational person, this quote should seem completely nonsensical to you. According to the above, Rhonda discovered “the secret laws and principles of the universe”, a feat perhaps only accomplished by ancient sages and saints such as Jesus Christ or Siddhartha Gautama. And what is she doing with this newfound knowledge? Making shitty self-help films.

      It occurred to Rhonda that “almost no-one knew the things that she had discovered”. However, it seems that her sudden revelation happened due to this ‘ancient text’, The Science of Getting Rich. Theoretically, anyone who read this book would suddenly understand the mystical secrets of the universe. However, it would seem that Rhonda was the only one. Why? I submit that this is because she is a pompous asshat who has rearranged basic life concepts and classic ‘bitchy eletist schoolgirl tactics’ into a terrifyingly cinematic production that is solely for the purpose of making lots of cash.

      The website divulges almost no information about “The Secret”, so I decided to look it up on the almighty Wikipedia. Once a given person buys “The Secret”, it is revealed to be complete bullshit. Obviously, this is why the website tells you nothing but vague and hollow promises. This is what I have called the ‘bitchy eletist schoolgirl tactics’, because all the people behind “The Secret” are doing is making false claims about their secret club for money.

      The main idea of “The Secret” is the ‘Law of Attraction’. My bullshit detector is already going off, because we know that such a terrible film certainly cannot be based on a real scientific ‘Law’. But let’s continue anyhow. The Law of Attraction states “you get what you think about; your thoughts determine your experience." On a basic level, this is very well known. If you think “I’m going to try my best to win this baseball game”, you are more likely to succeed than if you think “Oh man, I suck at baseball, I’ll never win this game”. Duh. I don’t even need to go into more detail. You know this already. However, the idea that someone would make a film about this, and sell it to people, is apalling. The grotesque overexaggerations promoted in the film only make things worse. Some of the ideas asserted by the movie and the people on the community forums are absolutely ludicrous, no less ridiculous than ‘magic’. They take the basic principle of optimism and turn it into some kind of obnoxious magic ritual. “You want to win the lottery? Just sit there and stare at your ticket, thinking about how you’re destined to win, and bam! You win the lottery! It’s that simple!” Of course, the five-zillion people who didn’t win the lottery delude themselves into thinking this still works, while the one guy who does happento win the lottery is displayed as a prime example of “The Secret” in action. The whole idea is based on self-delusion and pathetic wishful thinking. Oh, you didn’t win the lottery? Your Ex-Husband didn’t get back together with you? But you got to sit in just the spot you wanted in Yoga class, because you thought positively about it! The Secret works! All hail The Secret!

      Of course, the creators of “The Secret” try to pass it off as a scientific principle. Their website and movie is full of bullshit references to Quantum Physics and such. Of course nobody understands Quantum Physics, so nobody’s going to complain. If Quantum Physics actually allows a person’s pathetic wishful thoughts to physically change the atomic structure of a lottery ticket, I will eat my hat.

      In conclusion, don’t bother buying this movie. If you’ve already subscribed to this Psuedo-Philosophy, please give me your address so I can kick you in the face.
      Nice rant.

    15. #90
      Banned
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      4,571
      Likes
      1070
      Quote Originally Posted by Kamickalo View Post
      lulz
      This post gets my seal of approval.

    16. #91
      Invading the Ivory Tower Swank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melb, Aus
      Posts
      231
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by Kamickalo View Post
      Here's a rant I wrote about The Secret and The Law of Attraction a while ago. I'll repost it here:

      In conclusion, don’t bother buying this movie. If you’ve already subscribed to this Psuedo-Philosophy, please give me your address so I can kick you in the face.
      I won't bother requoting the entire thing, you know what I'm referring to. Nor am I going to critically deconstruct the entire post.

      I think people are taking the this is bullshit stance because they have no idea how to use this law of attraction theory properly. Like I've said in my other post, it didnt work for me the first time, but when i read a few books on the subject not written by the author of the secret, it actually did make sense.

      My point: I find the movie interesting but very vague, yes. The concept being referred to though, is true and it does work, however not to the point of you will win everything and you will get this and that and whatever you want. It just doesnt work like that, trust me, and there is a reason for it. If you think the movie is complete bullshit, you have no idea of the history of spiritual thought.

      Illusions: Congratulations, I'd like to hear about other things you have manifested, always interested to see how it's worked for others. PM me for a chat

    17. #92
      Member really's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,676
      Likes
      54
      Quote Originally Posted by TheFinalCut View Post
      I think people are taking the this is bullshit stance because they have no idea how to use this law of attraction theory properly. Like I've said in my other post, it didnt work for me the first time, but when i read a few books on the subject not written by the author of the secret, it actually did make sense.

      My point: I find the movie interesting but very vague, yes. The concept being referred to though, is true and it does work, however not to the point of you will win everything and you will get this and that and whatever you want. It just doesnt work like that, trust me, and there is a reason for it. If you think the movie is complete bullshit, you have no idea of the history of spiritual thought.
      I agree.

      And far out Kamickalo! Do you really think that if everyone believed they would win the lottery at the same time they would? No, they wouldn't. Don't be dumb. That says something about the lottery, not 'The Secret'.

      Quote Originally Posted by Kamickalo View Post
      Of course, the creators of “The Secret” try to pass it off as a scientific principle. Their website and movie is full of bullshit references to Quantum Physics and such. Of course nobody understands Quantum Physics, so nobody’s going to complain. If Quantum Physics actually allows a person’s pathetic wishful thoughts to physically change the atomic structure of a lottery ticket, I will eat my hat.
      Do you know anything about Quantum Physics? I do. And I'm not complaining. Quantum particles are extremely small. You can't see what they're doing like that.

      Sure, the movie is vague and simple. But I guess if you experienced some of the ideas raised, you'd realize that movies such as these only show before-after shots, which might be too hard for some to imagine. Hence why many disagree, take 'The Chasers' for example. They don't know what they're doing in the first place.
      Last edited by really; 10-23-2007 at 06:39 AM.

    18. #93
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      Quote Originally Posted by Kamickalo View Post
      Here's a rant I wrote about The Secret and The Law of Attraction a while ago. I'll repost it here:




      You may have heard of “The Secret”, a fairly recent film promoting ‘The Law of Attraction’. Here is a quote from the official website:

      One spring day towards the end of 2004, Rhonda Byrne discovered a secret - the secret laws and principles of the universe… It seemed to Rhonda that almost no-one knew the things that she had discovered, even though the concepts could be found in almost every religion and field of human endeavour throughout history… And on that spring day in 2004, when a small, old book called The Science of Getting Rich was put into her hands, and Rhonda's whole life suddenly pulled into spectacular focus, she knew exactly what her mission was to become.”

      Now if you’re a normal, rational person, this quote should seem completely nonsensical to you. According to the above, Rhonda discovered “the secret laws and principles of the universe”, a feat perhaps only accomplished by ancient sages and saints such as Jesus Christ or Siddhartha Gautama. And what is she doing with this newfound knowledge? Making shitty self-help films.

      It occurred to Rhonda that “almost no-one knew the things that she had discovered”. However, it seems that her sudden revelation happened due to this ‘ancient text’, The Science of Getting Rich. Theoretically, anyone who read this book would suddenly understand the mystical secrets of the universe. However, it would seem that Rhonda was the only one. Why? I submit that this is because she is a pompous asshat who has rearranged basic life concepts and classic ‘bitchy eletist schoolgirl tactics’ into a terrifyingly cinematic production that is solely for the purpose of making lots of cash.

      The website divulges almost no information about “The Secret”, so I decided to look it up on the almighty Wikipedia. Once a given person buys “The Secret”, it is revealed to be complete bullshit. Obviously, this is why the website tells you nothing but vague and hollow promises. This is what I have called the ‘bitchy eletist schoolgirl tactics’, because all the people behind “The Secret” are doing is making false claims about their secret club for money.

      The main idea of “The Secret” is the ‘Law of Attraction’. My bullshit detector is already going off, because we know that such a terrible film certainly cannot be based on a real scientific ‘Law’. But let’s continue anyhow. The Law of Attraction states “you get what you think about; your thoughts determine your experience." On a basic level, this is very well known. If you think “I’m going to try my best to win this baseball game”, you are more likely to succeed than if you think “Oh man, I suck at baseball, I’ll never win this game”. Duh. I don’t even need to go into more detail. You know this already. However, the idea that someone would make a film about this, and sell it to people, is apalling. The grotesque overexaggerations promoted in the film only make things worse. Some of the ideas asserted by the movie and the people on the community forums are absolutely ludicrous, no less ridiculous than ‘magic’. They take the basic principle of optimism and turn it into some kind of obnoxious magic ritual. “You want to win the lottery? Just sit there and stare at your ticket, thinking about how you’re destined to win, and bam! You win the lottery! It’s that simple!” Of course, the five-zillion people who didn’t win the lottery delude themselves into thinking this still works, while the one guy who does happento win the lottery is displayed as a prime example of “The Secret” in action. The whole idea is based on self-delusion and pathetic wishful thinking. Oh, you didn’t win the lottery? Your Ex-Husband didn’t get back together with you? But you got to sit in just the spot you wanted in Yoga class, because you thought positively about it! The Secret works! All hail The Secret!

      Of course, the creators of “The Secret” try to pass it off as a scientific principle. Their website and movie is full of bullshit references to Quantum Physics and such. Of course nobody understands Quantum Physics, so nobody’s going to complain. If Quantum Physics actually allows a person’s pathetic wishful thoughts to physically change the atomic structure of a lottery ticket, I will eat my hat.

      In conclusion, don’t bother buying this movie. If you’ve already subscribed to this Psuedo-Philosophy, please give me your address so I can kick you in the face.
      Fool! How dare you speak out against the great goddess Rhonda Byrne. The secret never existed until she found it, and by doing so she released the secrets cosmic powers into the universe. The great goddess Rhonda Byrne won't look kindly upon such insolence as this. I will go and calm down now...before I use the secret to make a comet smash into your house.
      Last edited by Jeff777; 10-23-2007 at 08:45 AM.
      Things are not as they seem

    19. #94
      Member illusions's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Gender
      Location
      United Kingdom
      Posts
      89
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Oneironaut_Jeff777 View Post
      Fool! How dare you speak out against the great goddess Rhonda Byrne. The secret never existed until she found it, and by doing so she released the secrets cosmic powers into the universe. The great goddess Rhonda Byrne won't look kindly upon such insolence as this. I will go and calm down now...before I use the secret to make a comet smash into your house.
      Kamickalo:
      You may have heard of “The Secret”, a fairly recent film promoting ‘The Law of Attraction’. Here is a quote from the official website:

      “One spring day towards the end of 2004, Rhonda Byrne discovered a secret - the secret laws and principles of the universe… It seemed to Rhonda that almost no-one knew the things that she had discovered, even though the concepts could be found in almost every religion and field of human endeavour throughout history… And on that spring day in 2004, when a small, old book called The Science of Getting Rich was put into her hands, and Rhonda's whole life suddenly pulled into spectacular focus, she knew exactly what her mission was to become.”

      Now if you’re a normal, rational person, this quote should seem completely nonsensical to you. According to the above, Rhonda discovered “the secret laws and principles of the universe”, a feat perhaps only accomplished by ancient sages and saints such as Jesus Christ or Siddhartha Gautama. And what is she doing with this newfound knowledge? Making shitty self-help films.

      It occurred to Rhonda that “almost no-one knew the things that she had discovered”. However, it seems that her sudden revelation happened due to this ‘ancient text’, The Science of Getting Rich. Theoretically, anyone who read this book would suddenly understand the mystical secrets of the universe. However, it would seem that Rhonda was the only one. Why? I submit that this is because she is a pompous asshat who has rearranged basic life concepts and classic ‘bitchy eletist schoolgirl tactics’ into a terrifyingly cinematic production that is solely for the purpose of making lots of cash.

      The website divulges almost no information about “The Secret”, so I decided to look it up on the almighty Wikipedia. Once a given person buys “The Secret”, it is revealed to be complete bullshit. Obviously, this is why the website tells you nothing but vague and hollow promises. This is what I have called the ‘bitchy eletist schoolgirl tactics’, because all the people behind “The Secret” are doing is making false claims about their secret club for money.

      The main idea of “The Secret” is the ‘Law of Attraction’. My bullshit detector is already going off, because we know that such a terrible film certainly cannot be based on a real scientific ‘Law’. But let’s continue anyhow. The Law of Attraction states “you get what you think about; your thoughts determine your experience." On a basic level, this is very well known. If you think “I’m going to try my best to win this baseball game”, you are more likely to succeed than if you think “Oh man, I suck at baseball, I’ll never win this game”. Duh. I don’t even need to go into more detail. You know this already. However, the idea that someone would make a film about this, and sell it to people, is apalling. The grotesque overexaggerations promoted in the film only make things worse. Some of the ideas asserted by the movie and the people on the community forums are absolutely ludicrous, no less ridiculous than ‘magic’. They take the basic principle of optimism and turn it into some kind of obnoxious magic ritual. “You want to win the lottery? Just sit there and stare at your ticket, thinking about how you’re destined to win, and bam! You win the lottery! It’s that simple!” Of course, the five-zillion people who didn’t win the lottery delude themselves into thinking this still works, while the one guy who does happento win the lottery is displayed as a prime example of “The Secret” in action. The whole idea is based on self-delusion and pathetic wishful thinking. Oh, you didn’t win the lottery? Your Ex-Husband didn’t get back together with you? But you got to sit in just the spot you wanted in Yoga class, because you thought positively about it! The Secret works! All hail The Secret!

      Of course, the creators of “The Secret” try to pass it off as a scientific principle. Their website and movie is full of bullshit references to Quantum Physics and such. Of course nobody understands Quantum Physics, so nobody’s going to complain. If Quantum Physics actually allows a person’s pathetic wishful thoughts to physically change the atomic structure of a lottery ticket, I will eat my hat.

      In conclusion, don’t bother buying this movie. If you’ve already subscribed to this Psuedo-Philosophy, please give me your address so I can kick you in the face.
      Lol, Wow, Kamickalo and Jeff, you seem to have both been deeply affected by this
      I'm wondering what terrible thing has happened to you as a result of this movie, and how much you know about Rhonda Burns and the background to getting this movie out, that would make you so upset?

      I'm guessing others may have similar reactions to "Bowling for Columbine", "Sicko" and "An Inconvenient Truth" - I'm always interested to know: when someone isn't personally involved in these projects, and when there are sooooo many conflicting beliefs, ideas, theories, religions, opinions etc, what makes that person so emotional about that particular one. If I don't agree with a particular project/movie/book/religion etc. I just don't buy it/watch it/read it.

      But I certainly don't begrudge others a) watching/reading it; b) expressing their views in whatever medium they do, and c) making money out of their work/invention/discovery/project/product... as far as I'm concerned, it has nothing to do with me lol - if I don't agree with something, I don't have to buy it

    20. #95
      Member illusions's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Gender
      Location
      United Kingdom
      Posts
      89
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Mystic7 View Post
      Illusions. Maybe because when a movie is promoted so heavily that is fundamentally flawed that take advantage of gullible people's minds. It makes the world that much more difficult to live in?
      Hi Mystic

      Thanks for explaining that. I guess that must be the same reason people give for being so emotional about "Bowling for Columbine", "Sicko" and "An Inconvenient Truth"
      Interesting.....

      Of course... considering it "fundamentally flawed" would depend on each person's perspective .... Check out these excerpts from an interview with Charles K. Johnson.....

      ""The facts are simple," says Charles K. Johnson, president of the International Flat Earth Research Society. "The earth is flat." "

      ""You can't orbit a flat earth," says Mr. Johnson. "The Space Shuttle is a joke—and a very ludicrous joke."

      "His soft voice carries conviction, for Charles Johnson is on the level. He believes that the main purpose of the space program is to prop up a dying myth—the myth that the earth is a globe. "Nobody knows anything about the true shape of the world," he contends. "The known, inhabited world is flat. Just as a guess, I'd say that the dome of heaven is about 4,000 miles away, and the stars are about as far as San Francisco is from Boston." "

      ""The whole point of the Copernican theory is to get rid of Jesus by saying there is no up and no down," declares Johnson. "The spinning ball thing just makes the whole Bible a big joke."
      Not the Bible but Johnson's own common sense allowed him to see through the globe myth while he was still in grade school. He contends that sensible people all over the world, not just Bible believers, realize that the earth really is flat. "Wherever you find people with a great reservoir of common sense," he says, "they don't believe idiotic things such as the earth spinning around the sun. Reasonable, intelligent people have always recognized that the earth is flat." "
      The full interview is here: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm

      Love and Light and Choice xxx

    21. #96
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      0
      Illusions. Maybe because when a movie is promoted so heavily that is fundamentally flawed that take advantage of gullible people's minds. It makes the world that much more difficult to live in? Your also in the world you know there is not some gap between you and other people. If people are getting ripped off. Your not suppose to sit back and let it happen. but I know that you don't realize I'm just defending people's right to condemn this movie for what it is. A trap and distortion of reality. Which has gumby damaging effects in the lives of people who think the movie is exactly way to approach life and it's purpose.

      The law of attraction does not involve simply using the universe as a giant gum ball machine for whatever you want to manifest out of your imagination. It's a bit more than serving yourself. Life expands more than material self service.

      Also you think you know this great principle that other people don't know. But you will find your actually one of the least educated.

      And illusions. Your quote really pisses me off. You want to know why? Because you don't recognize what manipulation really is and your trying to demonstrate what you think is your knowledge with your absolute blindness about past examples.

      The only reason they promoted the earth flat theory was not because they didn't think it was a globe. But to convince people to not travel to Ireland. They didn't want them discovering the Irish Origins of civilization. You don't even know the extent of control and this DVD the "secret". Is a modern day spiritual version of your Earth Flat nonsense to manipulate people.
      Last edited by Mystic7; 10-23-2007 at 11:01 AM.

    22. #97
      Member illusions's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Gender
      Location
      United Kingdom
      Posts
      89
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Mystic7 View Post
      Illusions. Maybe because when a movie is promoted so heavily that is fundamentally flawed that take advantage of gullible people's minds. It makes the world that much more difficult to live in? Your also in the world you know there is not some gap between you and other people. If people are getting ripped off. Your not suppose to sit back and let it happen. but I know that you don't realize I'm just defending people's right to condemn this movie for what it is. A trap and distortion of reality. Which has gumby damaging effects in the lives of people who think the movie is exactly way to approach life and it's purpose.

      The law of attraction does not involve simply using the universe as a giant gum ball machine for whatever you want to manifest out of your imagination. It's a bit more than serving yourself. Life expands more than material self service.
      Hey Mystic

      Lol - you must have been editing your post while I was writing mine, so I'll answer the bit you added now

      I think that the most important thing I've learned in the last couple of years, is that just because I believe something is right, doesn't mean it IS

      I've realised that there are an extraordinary amount of people who feel they know what is "right" and "fair" and so on.... and they believe it is their duty to "protect" the "defensless, gullible masses", and "put the world right".... which is admirable, and very sweet of them..... until one realises that the people who have this compulsion don't necessarily even agree with each other

      So if you have a whole bunch of people determined that they know the "truth" and what is "right" and "wrong", and that they're going to enforce their oppinions and views on others to "protect" the "gullible".... and those self-appointed rescuers of mankind all have opposing views and opinions.... then it's um.... messy to say the least.... Religion anyone...?

      Love and Light and Choice xxx

    23. #98
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      0
      Like mark said. Your statements really do make me want to chainsaw my own face off. I never thought I would find myself agreeing with anything mark said. But this is the exception. You are arrogant.

      All these xxx, smiley face here and there. Love and light this and that. But it's obvious your a know it all that doesn't even read or consider what I just posted.
      Last edited by Mystic7; 10-23-2007 at 11:20 AM.

    24. #99
      Member illusions's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Gender
      Location
      United Kingdom
      Posts
      89
      Likes
      0
      Quote Originally Posted by Mystic7 View Post
      Like mark said. Your statements really do make me want to chainsaw my own face off. I never thought I would find myself agreeing with anything mark said. But this is the exception. You are arrogant.
      Heh heh, now you see, Mystic, I have absolutely no desire to change your mind I'm very comfortable with you believing what you believe. It's only when a person insists that they are right and that their view is the only truth, that they get upset the way you and Mark have.

      You get to believe whatever you choose - Enjoy!

      Love and Light and Freedom xxx

    25. #100
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      0
      Before you are able to accept my beliefs. You have to understand them first. I can understand yours because I can explain them back to you. You cannot understand mine as when you describe my beliefs I can guarantee they will not fit my description hence I know you do not comprehended.

      Clearly it is your desire to keep thinking you understand and accept my beliefs without bothering to notice you actually don't have a clue what I believe. The reason I try and explain to you is because it's unpleasant seeing my beliefs dumbed down through you....

      Basically you are testing my patience and that is my greatest weakness. Stupidity is the worst thing. That's why people get upset. Not because your smart. But because you insist on your blindness.

      *that's your belief* does not count for a response. Just an endless loop of dumbness.

    Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •