• 1 Post By Playlaughdream
    • 1 Post By gab
    • 1 Post By realdealmagic

Thread: Best time for REM

Zix
      Lurker
      DJ Entries

Best time for REM

I was just wondering what is the normal time in the morning for one to enter REM sleep?
      Or is this different for each person?
      If it help i wake up at 6:30

Homo sapiens sapiens Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      4 or 5
      Rochester, NY
      DJ Entries
      REM usually starts around 4-6 hours after falling asleep.
      ERROR 404: SIGNATURE NOT FOUND

LD Count
      100 +/-
      Spain
      Quote Originally Posted by TimeDragon97 View Post
      REM usually starts around 4-6 hours after falling asleep.
      I donīt think so, REM hits every 90 minutes or so of NREM sleep and it lasts for about 10 min at first but it becomes longer as you complete more sleep cycles. Thatīs why it is better to try and LD after some hours of sleep, ussually 4-6
      Sensei likes this.

gab
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      We have REM at the end of each sleep cycle. Each sleep cycle is about 90 min long. When you first go to sleep, you get REM in about last 10 min of first sleep cycle. Each time it gets longer, as NREM gets shorter.

It's recommended to WILD after at least 4.5 hrs of sleep, because that's the end of the 3rd sleep cycle. By then REM is longer, so when you WILD, you don't have to go through a long NREM.

It's even better after a longer sleep. Let's say 7-8hrs of sleep, REM makes up most of the sleep cycle and NREM is very short. That's the best time to WILD, unless you have to get up early. Then, after 4.5 hrs will be good enough.

Another great time to LD is a early nap. After a whole night of sleep, if you take a nap, your body knows it's just a nap, because you had a good night sleep. So it will not go through NREM, but almost directly into REM.

LD Count
      100 +/-
      Spain
      Quote Originally Posted by gab View Post
      We have REM at the end of each sleep cycle. Each sleep cycle is about 90 min long. When you first go to sleep, you get REM in about last 10 min of first sleep cycle. Each time it gets longer, as NREM gets shorter.

It's recommended to WILD after at least 4.5 hrs of sleep, because that's the end of the 3rd sleep cycle. By then REM is longer, so when you WILD, you don't have to go through a long NREM.

It's even better after a longer sleep. Let's say 7-8hrs of sleep, REM makes up most of the sleep cycle and NREM is very short. That's the best time to WILD, unless you have to get up early. Then, after 4.5 hrs will be good enough.

Another great time to LD is a early nap. After a whole night of sleep, if you take a nap, your body knows it's just a nap, because you had a good night sleep. So it will not go through NREM, but almost directly into REM.
      Now that's an answer.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      1/week average
      Rio
      DJ Entries
      Another great time to LD is a early nap. After a whole night of sleep, if you take a nap, your body knows it's just a nap, because you had a good night sleep. So it will not go through NREM, but almost directly into REM.[/QUOTE]

Very well explained but whenever I tried to WILD during an afetrnoon nap I have to struggle to relax and it may take an hour or so, the only exception is when I am very very tired or with some sleep deprivation the previous nights so WILD can occur very fast otherwise Itīs not even worth to try.
      gab likes this.
      PLD

gab
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Playlaughdream View Post
      Very well explained but whenever I tried to WILD during an afetrnoon nap I have to struggle to relax and it may take an hour or so, the only exception is when I am very very tired or with some sleep deprivation the previous nights so WILD can occur very fast otherwise Itīs not even worth to try.
      Well, afternoon nap may work. Although for me, it doesn't work as well as a morning nap, within 1-3 hrs of waking up. If the afternoon nap is close to your normal bed time, not sure how our body distinguishes if it's still a nap, or a bed time.

The main thing, of course, is the ability to fall asleep. If I'm not tired, I lay down and I try to think of it as a special event. And I'm at peace with the idea, that I may not get a WILD, but I'm looking forward to any sensations or transitions I may have. It may take me an hour to fall asleep.

When I wake up in the morning with the intent to nap in 1-3 hours, I tell myself that. If you have the intent, you mind understands and will try not to switch into day mode. Keep thinking, "I'm going to bed soon, I'm not up for the day yet".

Also, it helps if yu get up few hours before your normal wake up time. Then stay up till you would normally getting up and then take a nap. Since you will be sleeping at the time when you are normally awake, your mind will notice that and will be more active, more awake. That's another reason why napping is a great time for lucids.

Off topic:
      I'm so glad you posted again. I was admiring your avatar and had an awesome, vivid and detailed dream flying over the ocean, with skies of very similar colors as your avi. Was trying to find it on DV, but couldn't. Wanted to thank you. So thank you

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      1/week average
      Rio
      DJ Entries
      I`m glad to hear that, actually I chose it because Itīs a recurrent dream with big ocean waves and vivid sky colors reflecting on it and the more vivid, the more likely to turn lucid. Thank you for your explanations and just another curiosity: I usually try WILD on my back (as your cat, actually in the yoga nidra posture) and I feel it works better, do you have anything to say about that ?
      gab likes this.
      PLD

gab
      LD Count
      306 events
      California Republic
      DJ Entries
      I also WILD on my back. I picked my sofa instead of my bed, because we are conditioned to sleep in bed. So we tend to "just fall asleep". Sofa is my special place, and just thinking about it makes me all tingly :] This is not to say that bed is not good for LDing. Whatever works the best.

I use a few pillows, so I'm in half-sitting position.

But, I have had WILD in my bed too, in every postion, except on my stomach.
      Playlaughdream likes this.

Banned
      Sunny Scotland
      Finding the best time for you to wake up during REM sleep will require some experimentation. As with everything else in lucid dreaming, everybody is different. You will find that other people have different times that they should wake up, but it is generally after every 90-minute sleep cycle
      Playlaughdream likes this.