• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    View Poll Results: Is it like mana?

    Voters
    11. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

      1 9.09%
    • No

      6 54.55%
    • Not sure

      4 36.36%
    Results 1 to 12 of 12
    Like Tree12Likes
    • 1 Post By Coatl
    • 1 Post By Hukif
    • 1 Post By Coatl
    • 2 Post By Sageous
    • 2 Post By dolphin
    • 1 Post By Hukif
    • 2 Post By goldenrose
    • 1 Post By Charles3
    • 1 Post By Coatl

    Thread: Is it like mana?

    1. #1
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered

      Join Date
      May 2017
      Posts
      27
      Likes
      24

      Is it like mana?

      Hello everyone, this is my first topic in this forum.

      Increasing the frequency of LD is something I strive for like 3 years, with very little progress. My LDs occur in somewhat regular intervals of 3 weeks or so. I wasn't yet able to induce two LDs in less than 5 days, and even if I force a WILD "prematurely", it is not very satisfying experience, with very limited control, literally forgettable one.

      So I have been thinking, there may be something like "dream mana pool" in our minds which allows lucid dreaming when reaching certain level. There may be something like a "minimum level" which allows you to force low-quality LD, and then something like "spontaneous level" which induces an LD even if you don't wish for it (like a nocturnal emission ). Lucid dreaming drains some mana which then starts slowly replenishing.

      In this model, the art of lucid dreaming is based (at least partially) on the ability to quickly replenish the dream mana, and also to increase the maximum dream mana, which I'd love to figure out how to train.

      Do you guys think that the mana model could correspond to your own experience with LD frequency and quality? Or is it just my subjectively rooted observation?
      Charles3 likes this.

    2. #2
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze
      Hukif's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      LD Count
      6584
      Gender
      Location
      México
      Posts
      4,122
      Likes
      1141
      DJ Entries
      89
      I don't think it is like mana. As soon as I found out what worked for me, I didn't have problems with having multiple lucids a night. It was mostly a problem of searching in the dark for something I didn't know about, what it looked like or how it felt at all.
      Charles3 likes this.
      Creating a new persistent realm, claiming it and breaking the last seal I made back in the beggining of my journey are my goals right now

    3. #3
      Member Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Charles3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      LD Count
      ~150
      Posts
      156
      Likes
      311
      DJ Entries
      153
      Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
      Hello everyone, this is my first topic in this forum.

      Increasing the frequency of LD is something I strive for like 3 years, with very little progress. My LDs occur in somewhat regular intervals of 3 weeks or so. I wasn't yet able to induce two LDs in less than 5 days, and even if I force a WILD "prematurely", it is not very satisfying experience, with very limited control, literally forgettable one.

      So I have been thinking, there may be something like "dream mana pool" in our minds which allows lucid dreaming when reaching certain level. There may be something like a "minimum level" which allows you to force low-quality LD, and then something like "spontaneous level" which induces an LD even if you don't wish for it (like a nocturnal emission ). Lucid dreaming drains some mana which then starts slowly replenishing.

      In this model, the art of lucid dreaming is based (at least partially) on the ability to quickly replenish the dream mana, and also to increase the maximum dream mana, which I'd love to figure out how to train.

      Do you guys think that the mana model could correspond to your own experience with LD frequency and quality? Or is it just my subjectively rooted observation?
      I think that could be a model to explain my experiences. Increasing max mana. I heard that using certain amounts of lucid energy will zap me to my body faster.

      If this were the case then what would the implications be?

      I think it would be the same as most people already do. Do the techniques, keep a DJ, lucid mindset, etc. And max mana will increase. Do you think the mana model would necesitate a different approach to LD?

    4. #4
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered

      Join Date
      May 2017
      Posts
      27
      Likes
      24
      You are probably right, things would be pretty much the same, but at least something would be different. I wouldn't try to induce a LD any soon after I had one, because I'd know that I haven't enough mana for it What if even trying to LD drains your energy? I could work with the fact that having another LD depends more on time than on changing a technique or a way of living/thinking.

      In fact, I wish it is not the case, because I still secretly hope for finding my personal dreaming medicine, my holy grail of dreaming, which allows for LDing without any energy loss, without waiting for the psychical replenishment, like Hukif indicated...

      Quote Originally Posted by Hukif
      As soon as I found out what worked for me, I didn't have problems with having multiple lucids a night
      And can you tell me briefly what worked for you?
      Charles3 likes this.

    5. #5
      high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Sageous's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      LD Count
      35+ Yrs' Worth
      Gender
      Location
      any quiet place
      Posts
      4,847
      Likes
      6779
      Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
      Do you guys think that the mana model could correspond to your own experience with LD frequency and quality? Or is it just my subjectively rooted observation?
      Nope. As far as high can tell, there is no "dream mana pool" of lucid energy that fills over time, and also gets depleted, by LDing.

      ...Unless you consider waking-life self-awareness as a sort of energy of consciousness, and as you accumulate that self-awareness with daytime work, you will more likely be lucid, even accidentally; so developing your sense of Self (aka, waking-life self-awareness), you are indeed filling a pool of energy, of sorts. But I don't think that's what you're talking about (especially because there would be no depletion with this model).
      Hukif and Charles3 like this.

    6. #6
      Member Achievements:
      Veteran Second Class 5000 Hall Points Tagger Second Class Vivid Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze
      dolphin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      Gender
      Location
      the Pacific Ocean
      Posts
      2,254
      Likes
      2980
      DJ Entries
      152
      Self-control is something related to lucidity that can be depleted, is replenished over time, and has a certain limited capacity. Self-control is the ability to consciously resist temptation. To see self-control in action, just try to meditate and keep the mind from wandering. It is tempting for the mind to wander and you will probably find that it is easy to keep the mind from wandering at first but becomes more difficult over time as self-control is depleted.

      Self-control is needed to create new habits to replace old habits because old habits are tempting to maintain. Non-lucidity and lucidity can be considered habits. The weaker the habit, the more self-control that is needed to maintain it. The stronger the habit, the less self-control that is needed to maintain it.

      Exercising self-control through use of it, like using a muscle, can increase its limited capacity over time.
      Hukif and Charles3 like this.

    7. #7
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze
      Hukif's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      LD Count
      6584
      Gender
      Location
      México
      Posts
      4,122
      Likes
      1141
      DJ Entries
      89
      Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
      And can you tell me briefly what worked for you?
      Sure tihng. What works for me is maintaining a self-awareness of my own weight or as I call it the Gravity RC, which is no more than the self awareness of the weight and workings of weight on my waking life body as to make my mind aware of when I'm awake vs when I'm asleep.
      Charles3 likes this.
      Creating a new persistent realm, claiming it and breaking the last seal I made back in the beggining of my journey are my goals right now

    8. #8
      Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class 1 year registered
      goldenrose's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2017
      LD Count
      13+
      Gender
      Location
      Pluto
      Posts
      5
      Likes
      7
      DJ Entries
      17
      I partially agree. It doesn't always apply, but it may be helpful for one to think of skill and control as a mana bar that can be expanded over time and "diminishes" less and less with practice.
      Charles3 and dolphin like this.

    9. #9
      Member Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Charles3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      LD Count
      ~150
      Posts
      156
      Likes
      311
      DJ Entries
      153
      Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
      You are probably right, things would be pretty much the same, but at least something would be different. I wouldn't try to induce a LD any soon after I had one, because I'd know that I haven't enough mana for it What if even trying to LD drains your energy? I could work with the fact that having another LD depends more on time than on changing a technique or a way of living/thinking.

      In fact, I wish it is not the case, because I still secretly hope for finding my personal dreaming medicine, my holy grail of dreaming, which allows for LDing without any energy loss, without waiting for the psychical replenishment, like Hukif indicated...
      Here is a short except from Andrew Holecek interview (dream yoga teacher) that I think relates to this (just watch a few mins until it changes subject)

      https://youtu.be/_x9-e4MmuhQ?t=1687

      Touching on how to conserve mental energy and how it could help with LD
      Coatl likes this.
      Here is what I am up to in the dream world!
      https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

    10. #10
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered

      Join Date
      May 2017
      Posts
      27
      Likes
      24
      If I understood the spoken English correctly, you wanted to point out the argument that concentrated mind (which could be trained by meditation) gets less distracted and thus less exhausted? Inspiring speech, although I am not convinced that it answers the question of lucid dreams depleting your mental energy.
      Charles3 likes this.

    11. #11
      Member Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Charles3's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      LD Count
      ~150
      Posts
      156
      Likes
      311
      DJ Entries
      153
      Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
      If I understood the spoken English correctly, you wanted to point out the argument that concentrated mind (which could be trained by meditation) gets less distracted and thus less exhausted? Inspiring speech, although I am not convinced that it answers the question of lucid dreams depleting your mental energy.
      No not all the answers but I think it makes sense.
      Here is what I am up to in the dream world!
      https://www.dreamviews.com/blogs/charles3/

    12. #12
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV
      snoop's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      LD Count
      300+
      Gender
      Location
      Indiana
      Posts
      1,709
      Likes
      1201
      Personally, I believe the way you conceptualize the process and act of LDing working is how it ultimately works. That said, that conceptualization and understanding of it you have is naturally going to evolve in subtle ways as time goes on, until when you look back your understanding has changed to such a degree that it only partially reflects the way you originally saw it.

      What I think is important is to try and conceptualize it purposefully in ways that maximize the potential frequency and quality of your LDs. This is ultimately a combination of an active and passive process that takes place during the evolution of your conceptualization of how LDing works over the course of time and your experiences. Don't necessarily try and force a way to conceptualize how the process personally works for you--just let it be natural. Right now you see it as a mana pool, it's a system that makes sense to you. It's one whose landscape you know how to navigate... or at the very least, it's a way for you to get started at navigating the landscape that is LDing. As time goes on and you gain experience, try and keep an open mind and view the insights you gain into becoming lucid optimistically so as to maximize the effectiveness of the system of how it all works that develops in your mind and your understanding of it.

      Truly I believe it's just a game of expectation and belief crossed with imagination and confidence. You are at the reigns of the horse, you can steer and guide where it goes. Yet, you are not the horse, the roads, or your surroundings. You have to adapt to the behavior of the horse and the physical makeup of the landscape and the roads available to you. Trying to force the horse through a moat or a deep chasm isn't going to work, yet that doesn't mean there isn't a bridge you can't find to cross. In other words, let go and don't try to control every aspect of what is happening by brute force, but observe and remain aware patiently and thoughtfully so that you may guide yourself in the direction that is best for you to go.

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •