• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 40
    Like Tree31Likes

    Thread: What Do You Dislike About the US?

    1. #1
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031

      What Do You Dislike About the US?

      This is a continuation of this closed thread, which was created less than two years ago: http://www.dreamviews.com/extended-d...-about-us.html
      Darkmatters likes this.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    2. #2
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      Country music.
      Universal Mind and Woodstock like this.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    3. #3
      Banned
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Posts
      898
      Likes
      825
      as i said...


      The piss poor educational system that precipitates the constant shitstorm of idiotic fuckups...
      Universal Mind and Woodstock like this.

    4. #4
      Member LucidSandman's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2012
      LD Count
      6 Experiences
      Gender
      Location
      Chicago
      Posts
      57
      Likes
      20
      DJ Entries
      2
      Society.
      too much [email protected]
      being educated on your political opinion makes you ignorant.
      The small things.
      Lucid Dream Count: 5
      [✔]Lucidity [✔]Stabilize []Speak to Subconscious [✔]Fly []Shape Shift
      [SIGPIC]Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream![/SIGPIC]

    5. #5
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      The Military Industrial Complex fools the people into supporting near constant, completely unnecessary warfare and it's outrageous to claim soldiers are not actually out there dying for our freedom but are in fact dying to give the government a reason to remove more and more freedom.

      The Prison Industrial Complex takes precedence over education, and marijuana was illegalized as a means of funding this complex.

      The Medical Industry has absolutely nothing to do with Supply and Demand nor is in anyway a free market system. It is government's single biggest lobby and the collusion is disgusting. Real cures are suppressed as it's single greatest desire is to make as many people sick for as long as possible and charge them amounts they have no say in. And yet for some reason people believe that it's free market based and think if we socialize it, it will be the end of America.

      The agricultural industry is colluded with the FDA so the FDA is designed essentially to make it impossible for a small farm to operate. Farming practices are abhorrently unsustainable and threatening the entire ecosphere by wiping out bees. The ultimate goal of Monsanto is to replace the ecosphere with one of their own design and control humanity by controlling their food supply. They are right out of a science fiction story and yet most people do not even know they exist.

      The culture is constantly being repetitively drugged by distractions. The entire news media is an instrument meant to fool people into thinking they're informed while ignoring or belittling the most importance current events. These people then blame the other political faction for controlling a biased media when in reality neither party controls the media, the people that own the parties own the media. And the same people own both parties. Not only are Americans hopelessly divided politically but most don't even care to think about politics and will leave the room if you bring it up. Most people are completely addicted to pop culture instead, and all of pop culture is designed to keep people from standing up for themselves, organizing or doing anything in real service to their country. Instead, the people considered serving their country are actually unknowingly helping destroy it.

      Edit: I completely forgot the corruption regarding the financial industry, which purposely collapses the economy and gets rewarded for it
      Last edited by Original Poster; 06-18-2013 at 07:09 AM.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    6. #6
      Dreamer Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      JoannaB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      LD Count
      2017:1, pre:13+
      Gender
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      3,024
      Likes
      2155
      DJ Entries
      449
      What I dislike about America is how many Americans choose to exercise their right to criticize and complain about our country.

      If all the people who hate the US moved elsewhere, our country would be a much happier place with fewer people just complaining about it.

      Plus the people who moved elsewhere might learn valuable lessons of how different other countries are, and how for example in most countries they could not just state that they hate their country.

      However, I have recently heard this joke: Proud American: "What I love about America is that I can complain about the US President without getting into trouble with the governement." A national of other country responds: "Our country has the same level of freedom. Here also you can complain about the US President without getting into any trouble with the government."
      sivason likes this.
      You may say I'm a dreamer.
      But I'm not the only one
      - John Lennon

    7. #7
      Banned
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      4,571
      Likes
      1070
      Sometimes they drink iced tea that isn't sweetened like what the hell????
      melanieb likes this.

    8. #8
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by BLUELINE976 View Post
      Country music.
      I gave that a like because it's a hilarious answer, but I love classic country.

      Quote Originally Posted by JoannaB View Post
      What I dislike about America is how many Americans choose to exercise their right to criticize and complain about our country.
      Isn't that a complaint about our country?

      There is a whole lot I like about the United States. It is my home, and I will always live here, unless I am certain that it is about to go into 100% government control. That could happen not too long from now. I posted this continuation thread because I want there to be more discussion about how the country can be improved. We have some serious issues that need to be fixed.

      Quote Originally Posted by ♥Mark View Post
      Sometimes they drink iced tea that isn't sweetened like what the hell????
      Yeah, I know. If it continues, I'm moving to North Korea.
      ♥Mark, Woodstock and JoannaB like this.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    9. #9
      Dreamer Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      JoannaB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      LD Count
      2017:1, pre:13+
      Gender
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      3,024
      Likes
      2155
      DJ Entries
      449
      If you wanted discussion of how this country can be improved, why didn't you rephrase your opening post and subject that way?

      I think this thread is likely to just attract complaints not solutions the way it is phrased now, and yes you are right that my complaint about too many people just complaining is also a complaint.

      Here is one suggested solution: every American should be required to live in another country for at least one semester as a requirement for completing high school, so that everyone could have something to compare the experience in this country to, and so that they learned a new perspective on things.
      You may say I'm a dreamer.
      But I'm not the only one
      - John Lennon

    10. #10
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by JoannaB View Post
      If you wanted discussion of how this country can be improved, why didn't you rephrase your opening post and subject that way?

      I think this thread is likely to just attract complaints not solutions the way it is phrased now
      It wouldn't be as entertaining. Also, problems have to be identified before solutions to them can be effectively discussed.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    11. #11
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by JoannaB View Post
      If you wanted discussion of how this country can be improved, why didn't you rephrase your opening post and subject that way?

      I think this thread is likely to just attract complaints not solutions the way it is phrased now, and yes you are right that my complaint about too many people just complaining is also a complaint.

      Here is one suggested solution: every American should be required to live in another country for at least one semester as a requirement for completing high school, so that everyone could have something to compare the experience in this country to, and so that they learned a new perspective on things.
      Didn't work for me. Living in Argentina only further opened my eyes to just how backwards my nation is.

      I'm listing my complaints the same way the Founding Fathers did when they signed the Declaration of Independence. I'm a patriot and it sickens me to see my country twisted into this mess, a democracy tricked into acting against itself, and a government of untouchable corruption, a fascist state. I love this country so much I'm willing to die for it, and if everyone with complaints about the US were to move out this country would be anything but a happier place. Who would defend justice, then? Awareness is not pessimism. Pessimism is complaining and thinking that nothing can be done. Oppositely I have the highest hopes for this country.
      Woodstock likes this.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    12. #12
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Quote Originally Posted by JoannaB View Post
      What I dislike about America is how many Americans choose to exercise their right to criticize and complain about our country.
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      Isn't that a complaint about our country?
      Quote Originally Posted by JoannaB View Post
      yes you are right that my complaint .... is also a complaint.
      Joanna, I think you missed the point. He wasn't just cleverly pointing out that it was a complaint, he was saying if so many people have a problem with America then that shows there's something wrong with America, not just with the people complaining.

      Most of the complaints here aren't just silly or frivolous, they're dead serious and many have chilling implications.

      Do you advocate staunchly supporting the government no matter what they do?
      Last edited by Darkmatters; 06-18-2013 at 06:55 PM.
      Universal Mind likes this.

    13. #13
      Dreamer Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      JoannaB's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      LD Count
      2017:1, pre:13+
      Gender
      Location
      Virginia
      Posts
      3,024
      Likes
      2155
      DJ Entries
      449
      No, I don't. However, I do think that currently there are too many people complaining, and not enough people actively working on solutions, and also not enough people appreciating how good we actually have it here. I used to complain about the US for the first two years after moving to the US as a teenager. Then I went back to Europe for vacation, and I realized how good life in the US actually is, and that complaining all the time was having a negative impact on my quality of life, and so I stopped complaining.
      You may say I'm a dreamer.
      But I'm not the only one
      - John Lennon

    14. #14
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      TiredPhil's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      492
      Likes
      300
      One of the worst things about the USA is the way most Americans can not, and will not, accept criticism.
      The pride you have in your country, blinds you to what is really happening on your doorstep.

      Both your media, and government use this as a method to control, and manipulate you all.

      A few seem to be aware of the truth, but "a few" is not enough to do anything about it.

    15. #15
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by TiredPhil View Post
      One of the worst things about the USA is the way most Americans can not, and will not, accept criticism.
      The pride you have in your country, blinds you to what is really happening on your doorstep.

      Both your media, and government use this as a method to control, and manipulate you all.

      A few seem to be aware of the truth, but "a few" is not enough to do anything about it.
      If you say it in the context of what the government does wrong or what too many Americans do, Americans will generally not be offended. When I see people on the internet making blanket statements about how Americans are fat, arrogant, and/or stupid, they lose me. There are ways to criticize the U.S. without insulting all of us.
      Darkmatters and Woodstock like this.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    16. #16
      Rebellious scientist Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Voldmer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      LD Count
      500
      Gender
      Location
      Denmark
      Posts
      605
      Likes
      603
      Dislike about the US? That it has gotten so large, that its leaders hold an enormous amount of power.

      In my small country of Denmark, politicians and power wielders are every bit as dumb, egotistical and self aggrandizing as their US counterparts. But they don't hold very much power, because Denmark has only 5.5 mil. people.

      I am genuinely worried about the level of power held by the american leaders; any unwise move by them can have catastrophic consequences.

      "Power corrupts", it was said a long time ago, and I see plenty of corruption around governments everywhere - not least in the US.

      I so hope everything turns out well, but as far as I can tell, we're moving in the wrong direction ...
      Universal Mind likes this.

    17. #17
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      TiredPhil's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      492
      Likes
      300
      Quote "Americans are fat, arrogant, and/or stupid." - This is a fact
      Many of my neighbours are also fat, arrogant, and/or stupid. - This is also a fact, but I live in the UK.
      Every country in the world has this type of person. Every street has this type of person.
      The quote you disagree with would have " All " at the beginniing of it.
      The quote you can not deny would have " Some " at the beginning of it.

      I can tell you for a fact that a large proportion of the world regard the USA as a great country to live in, or move to.

      Listening to fools jabber on is one thing, but taking their opinions seriously has to be even more foolish.


      I NEED HELP

    18. #18
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Quote Originally Posted by JoannaB View Post
      No, I don't. However, I do think that currently there are too many people complaining, and not enough people actively working on solutions

      But isn't open conversation about the problems the first step? First we have to admit there is a problem before that problem can be solved - especially if solving it depends on a majority of people realizing there is a problem.

      I think what maybe you don't understand is that what we're complaining about are things that used to be good in America but have gone considerably downhill. It's frightening to watch your own country become something that it used to stand as a symbol against. At one time America was much better at education, economy, government, business etc. - now it's a joke in all those regards and in fact is teetering on the brink of becoming a totalitarian police state. This is frightening and repugnant to those of us who love what America is supposed to stand for.

    19. #19
      Consciousness in the Void Universal Mind's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2004
      Gender
      Location
      The Eternal Paradox
      Posts
      12,853
      Likes
      1031
      Quote Originally Posted by TiredPhil View Post
      Quote "Americans are fat, arrogant, and/or stupid." - This is a fact
      Many of my neighbours are also fat, arrogant, and/or stupid. - This is also a fact, but I live in the UK.
      Every country in the world has this type of person. Every street has this type of person.
      The quote you disagree with would have " All " at the beginniing of it.
      The quote you can not deny would have " Some " at the beginning of it.

      I can tell you for a fact that a large proportion of the world regard the USA as a great country to live in, or move to.

      Listening to fools jabber on is one thing, but taking their opinions seriously has to be even more foolish.


      I NEED HELP
      When you leave out a word like "some" or "many," the implication is "all." If I say British people are terrorists, doesn't that suggest much more than that two British people are terrorists? If I think two British people are terrorists, shouldn't I make it clear that I am talking about some and not all?

      In formal logic, a statement is proven false by just one counterexample.
      Darkmatters likes this.
      Quote Originally Posted by really View Post
      God cannot destroy himself because He is Omnipotent.


    20. #20
      Rebellious scientist Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Voldmer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      LD Count
      500
      Gender
      Location
      Denmark
      Posts
      605
      Likes
      603
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      It's frightening to watch your own country become something that it used to stand as a symbol against. At one time America was much better at education, economy, government, business etc. - now it's a joke in all those regards and in fact is teetering on the brink of becoming a totalitarian police state. This is frightening and repugnant to those of us who love what America is supposed to stand for.
      I am very much of the observation, that the down hill motion is taking place in countries all over the world. The US is definitely not alone.
      TiredPhil likes this.

    21. #21
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      We're leading the world into Hell

    22. #22
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      TiredPhil's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      492
      Likes
      300
      Quote Originally Posted by Universal Mind View Post
      When you leave out a word like "some" or "many," the implication is "all." If I say British people are terrorists, doesn't that suggest much more than that two British people are terrorists? If I think two British people are terrorists, shouldn't I make it clear that I am talking about some and not all?

      In formal logic, a statement is proven false by just one counterexample.
      Are you suggesting the problem may be with the way the suggestion is worded.
      Or are you suggesting the problem may be with the way it is heard.
      Perhaps a little more thought before people put their thought down into words, and a little more thought when reading would help.

    23. #23
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Quote Originally Posted by TiredPhil View Post
      One of the worst things about the USA is the way most Americans can not, and will not, accept criticism...
      Oh the irony

    24. #24
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      TiredPhil's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2011
      Posts
      492
      Likes
      300
      Quote Originally Posted by Darkmatters View Post
      Oh the irony
      Ironic from whos perspective

    25. #25
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Dude - either way you're now guilty of exactly what you accuse Americans of. And even better - every denial from you is just further proof!
      Last edited by Darkmatters; 06-18-2013 at 09:33 PM.

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. What do you dislike about the US?
      By ooflendoodle in forum Extended Discussion
      Replies: 85
      Last Post: 06-18-2013, 02:41 AM
    2. everyone please dislike this
      By Qwer in forum Senseless Banter
      Replies: 23
      Last Post: 02-08-2013, 11:32 PM
    3. Like / dislike
      By Arra in forum Senseless Banter
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: 09-18-2011, 02:30 AM
    4. I Dislike...
      By Rissalecki in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 64
      Last Post: 12-07-2010, 03:56 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •