• 2 Post By Zoth
    • 1 Post By Sageous
    • 3 Post By Ctharlhie
    • 1 Post By dutchraptor
    • 2 Post By Ekyu
    • 6 Post By RareCola
    • 1 Post By IchimaruTaichou
    • 1 Post By melanieb

Thread: Travelling to the core of lucid dreaming OR why I worry when someone invents a new technique.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Tagger Second Class 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Lost in the World
      DJ Entries

Travelling to the core of lucid dreaming OR why I worry when someone invents a new technique.

Introduction

Learning lucid dreaming seems easy. There's not a huge deal of "beginners" information, regards of what you need to attain lucidity, and you can easily find people with no "idea" of lucid dreaming was back then, and still had a nice success with it. It's the example of the so called "naturals" (not my word, don't judge me lol), that have been lucid dreaming since they were very young.

According to google keyword analysis, we can see that there was a time during the last 8 years that the expression "lucid dream" suffered a huge spike, as seen below:

Now, many of you probably guessed why that peek in 2010. That reason is the blockbuster movie Inception.

Although the search "intensity" of these words may have gone down, we now may assume (don't ask me for sources I don't have ) that in the past years, there's been a increase not only of the lucid dreaming community, but also in the past 2 decades (deriving from work from peopel like Paul Tholey, or LaBerge just to mention two of them), of the scientific studies that approach this theme in the subject of psychology. this not only led to the creation of new associations, groups, videos, forums, etc etc, but also to the increase popularity of existing said above terms (one case may be dreamviews, I don't know your statistics).

So, you might think, great right: more people, more research, more exchange of experiences, more learning!

And I agree with you on most of those, except one thing: more learning.

I think we here all agree that is the quality of information and not so much the quantity of information that matters. This post has no intention of criticizing creativity, new techniques, or people that simply comes with new ideas to lucid dreaming. But, this post comes with a reflection.

Part 1: The giant method vs technique misconception or what many people don't know about DILD and WILD

What is the difference between method and technique?

Method is the general or specific way in which an activity is conducted, while techniques are the various methods and processes developed through knowledge, skill, and experience.
      Example:
      There is a method for changing a light bulb : the switch is turned off, the old one comes out and the new one goes in.
      There are many techniques for handling a hot bulb, and for avoiding damage to the new bulb you're putting in.

Now let's apply this to lucid dreaming, and you, as a reader, will now hopefully see the kind of problem I'm talking over here:

So, in first, let's use what is considered by many the "bible" of lucid dreaming:

Now, I don't know exactly how many people readed this book (if you haven't, expect a ban soon ), but to those that did, and use(d) it as a guideline to lucid dreaming - because let's face it, it's indeed a pretty good book - there's pretty a nice few expressions that are included in LaBerges explanation of the lucid dream phenomena that are totally wrecked. Yes, I'm refering to DILD and WILD.

Now, what's begin to spice things up and see one quite nice example (I need to show examples, not to flame people, which will not be tolerated in any comment, but so you can see how you can easily mistake yourself and other people):

So, as you can see (it's enough if you watch till 1:15), there's already a misconception made (some quotes now):

" DILD is (...) when your dream tells you you are dreaming"
      "the dream is telling you"
      " (DILD) is very similar to reality check induced lucid dreaming (RECAILD)..."
      " RECAILD, is where when you get dream signs, and then do reality checks to those"

Now, let's review why this kind of information is wrong (and remember, this is an example!)

-Your dream does not tell you anything. Dreams are product of your sub conscience, they work on very different ways (in the sense they work towards a reality formed by emotions, and expectations, and memories) and they don't really add elements to indicate that you might be dreaming. You do that (more explained later if you still didn't get it".

- DILD is not similar to RCILD, because RCILD is not a method of inducing lucid dreams. It's a technique used to confirm wether you are dreaming or not. So, why call it a kind of lucid dream?

- RECILD is... As above, RCILD is a expression some person invented, which shows the misconception about technique and method.

What's the problem here?

As LaBerge points, out (Page 60, Chapter 4, line 17-20):

"Experiences in
      which people consciously enter dreaming sleep are re-ferred to as wake-initiated lucid dreams (WILDs), in
      contrast to dream-initiated lucid dreams (DILDs), in which people become lucid after having fallen asleep unconsciously."

So, okay, we got it! There are only 2 methods of inducing lucid dreams!

- DILD, when you become lucid inside of the dream
      - WILD, when you enter in the dream already conscious

Now, if you read Dreamviews tutorial, you can see that the information posted goes along this one. But MANY people still think for example that DILD is a technique for lucid dreams, and, like you can see in that guy's videos ahead, tell you tips to DILD which are do reality checks and improve dream recall (??)

This might sound a bit obvious to you, but if you still got the "difference between method and technique" explanation in your mind (okay, go scroll up ), you realize that:

- MILD, EILD, tholey's method, dream signs, etc etc are simply techniques to obtain DILDs.
      - WILD is a method to induce lucid dreams and a technique (because below)
      - DEILD is a technique
      - Things like FILD, SILD, are merely variations of the WILD technique.

Part 2: Going to the core of lucid dreaming

I am not qualified to give you the scientifical wording, much less to tell you all about lucid dreaming, but I'll put it into a short text what we KNOW (based on scientific sources):

Everyone can lucid dream.
      v
      Indicators or factors that might influence you lucid dreaming frequency rate:
      v
      Positive influences: good pattern of sleep, goal oriented habits, good diet, practice, happiness levels
      Negative influences: bad pattern of sleep/lack of sleep, lack of practice, ingestion of alcoholic drinks or use of drugs that result on a inferior time of REM sleep, stress levels.
      v
      Methods: DILD or WILD

DILD: based on (techniques that are based on):

- Prospective memory
      - Retrospective memory
      - Pattern Recognition
      - Other memory techniques (like association)
      - Critical thinking

Now, from what you can read, it seems (from our part) all about memory. Well, it is. I've seen many people saying "The more you stick to a technique like MILD, the more chances it will work. You just need to give it time". This is incorrect. It's not the technique, it's all about memory. And specifically prospective memory.

Prospective memory is one of the pillars of lucid dreaming. And it doesn't take too much research to get that: it's all over the place! If not, let's see:

- Famous MILD. LaBerge mentions prospective memory in the same page(s) he mentions MILD. He even gives you prospective memory exercises in his book. Why? Because he knows MILD is only a technique that relies heavily on prospective memory.

- Tholey's method (or critical state testing technique) that many people split into concepts like "ask yourself if you're dreaming many times per day" require prospective memory. It's simple: you either push it by habits, or you develop prospective memory to ask this in your sleep. Either way, you end up using prospective memory

- Any action you plan to do in the future requires prospective memory. It's called the memory of the future for some reason. The interesting part is that, although prospective memory shares traits with some other memories (like the counter-part, retrospective memory), is much more powerful for lucid dreaming because the way it works (I would gladly explain exactly what's so good about prospective memory, but it's not the purpose of this article, I'll make a new topic on it if it justifies, people want me to)

(Now, before you say "it's not all about memory! It's putting your will into the thing as well", let's be honest: that is irrelevant to say, because that's a requirement of pretty much ANYTHING you want in life.)

WILD

Anytime you enter conscious in a dream, you've achieved a WILD. Simple, that's it, that's the method. Now about the technique:

- LaBerge, in it's book, refers to WILD (Chapter 4, right in the beginning):

(...)This (idea of falling asleep consciously) involves retaining con-sciousness while wakefulness is lost and allows direct
      entry into the lucid dream state without any loss of re-flective consciousness. The basic idea has many varia-tions.
      While falling asleep, you can focus on hypnagogic (sleep onset) imagery, deliberate visualizations, your breath or
      heartbeat, the sensations in your body, your sense of self, and so on
      (...)

As you can see, once again, we (as global community of lucid dreamers) create often misconceptions: we might perceive certain techniques as "revolutionary techniques" when they're mere variations of a technique, and all we did to make it work, was make use of self-fulfilling prophecy, or even placebo.

About WILD, I also recommend everyone to take a read at this excellent article, written by Mzzkc, named Sleep paralysis Demystified. In my own judgement, it simply is one of those threads that support my view of lucid dreaming: let's go by facts and information, not just by "reports".

Conclusion: More techniques= bad thing?

My point is not that these techniques shouldn't deserve their categorization as techniques, but that we need to be more cautious to see why something is working or not with us. We should not define the put the emphasis in the "technique" we should put it on the person, and on the work they do. As a friend of my (hopefully you're reading this ^^) said once:

"it's all about achieving a lucid dream: we shouldn't care how, As long we achieve it" (not exact quote, but you get the idea)

If a lucid dream is not working for someone, sure, give him another technique to try. Sure, tell him to do something differently. But please, if you want to help that person to achieve a lucid dream, teach him the important of basics, and repetition, and memory. That's all he needs, because in reality, those aspect form the true core of lucid dreaming.

Hope you enjoyed reading this article as much as I did writing it. Thank you for your time, and please, remember to encourage new techniques if they seem worth it, because one way of explaining a WILD against another, simply by using different words, might be the difference between achieving a lucid or not. But remember, remember the core of lucid dreaming and it's true pillars, because want it or not, this is how we all edify our ability and chance of reaching lucidity.
      Last edited by zoth00; 09-02-2012 at 03:02 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by nito89 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by zoth00 View Post
      You have to face lucid dreams as cooking:
      Stick it in the microwave and hope for the best?
      MMR (Mental Map Recall)- A whole new way of Recalling and Journaling your dreams
      Trying out MILD? This is how you become skilled at it.

My reaction to this thread:

HARRISANDERSON likes this.

Banned
      LD Count
      Counts fingers
      Austin
      DJ Entries
      If a lucid dream is not working for someone, sure, give him another technique to try. Sure, tell him to do something differently. But please, if you want to help that person to achieve a lucid dream, teach him the important of basics, and repetition, and memory. That's all he needs, because in reality, those aspect form the true core of lucid dreaming
      We teach this and remind people there are no rules.

Drop by the Introduction Zone or the Intro Class in the DVA sometime.
      Ekyu likes this.

high mileage oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now
      Zoth00:

As one of those guys who was doing this years before all these techniques were invented (definitely NOT a natural, BTW), who has had many thousands of LD's, and who has spoken directly to LaBerge on several occasions, let me say just this:

Everything you've written above is correct, true, and ought to be heeded by newbies and veterans alike. Let's see, though, if that happens!

Thanks for making the effort, and let's hope people pay attention...
      Spyguy, RareCola, zoth00 and 2 others like this.

Melting Rainbows Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      I'm really glad that this is starting to be realised more, and thank you for this thread. I too often get worried by the multiple "new technique" threads that get posted daily that people are forgetting the basic fundamentals that are DILD and WILD.
      zoth00 and Sageous like this.
      Check out my DreamViews Podcast with OpheliaBlue!

The best reason for having dreams is that in dreams no reasons are necessary.

No sailor controls the sea. Only a foolish sailor would say such a thing. Similarly, no lucid dreamer controls the dream.
      Like a sailor on the sea, we lucid dreamers direct our perceptual awareness within the larger state of dreaming.

Waterbender Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV
      LD Count
      Not enough
      Ba Sing Se
      DJ Entries
      Thank you for this.

:bravo:
      zoth00 likes this.

Maybe it's a dream and if I scream, it will burst at the seams.

sigpic by kraom

Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King Populated Wall Referrer Silver 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now
      ^^ Now if we can just get people to actually read your post, Zoth00...

Maybe you should change it's title to "New SP Secrets Revealed!" ?
      Sivason and IchimaruTaichou like this.

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      DJ Entries
      Haha that video is from Giz Edwards, I love his videos he's hilarious.
      DILD: 9 | MILD: - | DEILD: - | WILD: 2
      OBE: 3 | AP: -

I can see you sleep through your bedroom window. You're killing yourself with lucid dreaming.

Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Crashyy View Post
      Haha that video is from Giz Edwards, I love his videos he's hilarious.
      He's entertaining, but he spreads a lot of mis-information about lucid dreaming.
      Ctharlhie likes this.

No sailor controls the sea. Only a foolish sailor would say such a thing. Similarly, no lucid dreamer controls the dream.
      Like a sailor on the sea, we lucid dreamers direct our perceptual awareness within the larger state of dreaming.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Tagger Second Class 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Lost in the World
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Sageous View Post
      ^^ Now if we can just get people to actually read your post, Zoth00...
      Maybe you should change it's title to "New SP Secrets Revealed!" ?
      *informs sageous that zoth is mostly unaware of detecting sarcasm in sentences, like the one he wrote above, so if he's not being sarcastic/making a joke, he needs to let zoth know *

Think you and other people might become pleased by the fact that I indeed took the discussion about sleep paralysis to multiple lucid dream fellows and communities, and linked Mzzkc's topic, so people can visit DV and read this very interesting piece of information. In some of those small communities or for many people, WILD is now a much more simple method of lucid dreams induction It's especially pleasant when a person can use the person's own words in their report about a specific "Sp event" or hallucination to clarify them. They become much less concerned about "step-to-step" points of view, and more adept of "this is the basics, now I shall try it and figure it out in my own way".
      Mzzkc and Sageous like this.
      Quote Originally Posted by nito89 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by zoth00 View Post
      You have to face lucid dreams as cooking:
      Stick it in the microwave and hope for the best?
      MMR (Mental Map Recall)- A whole new way of Recalling and Journaling your dreams
      Trying out MILD? This is how you become skilled at it.

LD Count
      40 + Yrs' Worth
      Here & Now
      ^^ Definite sarcasm intended, Zoth!

Nice to know also that Mzzkc is getting the attention he deserves ... So long as that wasn't sarcasm too!
      zoth00 likes this.

Lucid Elder God Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      non-Euclidean
      DJ Entries
      This is probably one of the most important posts on the whole of Dreamviews, congrats on seeing through all the bullshit, Zoth. Unfortunately, this is something everyone has to realise for themselves. And most don't. In the mean time people like Giz Edwards (my favourite of his being 'MILD isn't a technique, it's something to make your DILD more powerful, like an upgrade to your sword in an RPG'.... yeah.) and Nicholas Newport will continue to spread harmful and unscientific misinformation that harms the long term lucid dreaming development of anyone exposed to it who doesn't know better.

Still, this thread gives me hope.
      zoth00, Sageous and RareCola like this.
      My Lucid Dreaming Articles/Tutorials:
      Mindfulness - An Alternative Approach to ADA
      Intent in Lucid Dreaming; Break that Dry-Spell, Escape the Technique Rut

Always, no sometimes think it's me,
      But you know I know when it's a dream
      I think I know I mean a yes
      But it's all wrong
      That is I think I disagree

-John Lennon

Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Tranquility
      DJ Entries
      Most of the bullshit is spread through youtube and tumblr. I think that most people who visit DV eventually realize this themselves.
      Ekyu likes this.

InSaNiTy Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Behind you
      DJ Entries
      I think most members already know about this. It's great advice to the new people here though, but i think the admins on this forum are already spreading this as mutch as they can. But it's nice to see it in more detail!

Random note: You should put this on podcast!
      Last edited by Ekyu; 09-03-2012 at 12:41 PM.
      zoth00 and melanieb like this.

All successful people men and women are big dreamers. They imagine what their future could be, ideal in every respect, and then they work every day toward their distant vision, that goal or purpose.

It's best to have failure happen early in life. It wakes up the Phoenix bird in you so you rise from the ashes.

LD Count
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      Ohey, Giz Edwards actually posted a response to this thread. Props to him for making it!

LD Count
      New Zealand
      DJ Entries
      Very insightful for those not in the know, thanks Zoth (:
      zoth00 likes this.
      They say dreaming is dead, no one does it anymore. It's not dead it's just that it's been forgotten, removed from our language. Nobody teaches it so nobody knows it exists. The dreamer is banished to obscurity. Well, I'm trying to change all that, and I hope you are too[/FONT][/COLOR]

Banned
      LD Count
      Counts fingers
      Austin
      DJ Entries
      Giz Edwards actually joined the site recently. http://www.dreamviews.com/f20/about-...p-site-136504/

It's good to see a lot of positive attention here.
      IchimaruTaichou likes this.