Thread: Why You Fail at WILDs

He Who Needs a New Title TheOneirologist's Avatar
      LD Count
      86...?
      USA
      DJ Entries
      Aww, foiled again.

Lurker
      I've been trying to WILD and have had some success in the past couple days, one OBE after I just briefly (30 seconds) woke up in the middle of the night and groggily decided to try an induction, and then one last night after waking up at 4am and attempting 4-5 inductions (finally got it on the last one at around 8am!).

It seems I'm running into a some kind of barrier. I'm fairly good at relaxing down to a very deep state, where my body is completely still and very heavy but comfortable. I meditate often, so I usually focus on my breath and keep my mind devoid of thoughts. Now every induction I've tried and failed, I seem to reach a "turning point", where I feel a wave of tingling/vibration all throughout my body. My thoughts are also wandering a bit now, and the wave has a definite "sleepy" quality to it. I "feel" like this is the window into sleep paralysis, but I just CAN'T FALL ASLEEP!!

At this "turning point", I've tried quite a few different techniques. I've tried using a crazy thought tree as you've suggested, just being a "silent observer" of my thoughts, and also refocusing on my breathing. However, it seems like no matter what I do here, the electricity dies down, and I'm back to square one, being awake in my bed. At first I thought it was because I was getting too excited here, but after failing 15+ times, I feel like I'm calm, but still not getting anywhere.

Have you had any experience with this? Any suggestions for me?

Thanks!!
      Last edited by targetzone; 08-07-2010 at 09:29 PM.

The i's are invisible. Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      Is there any difference between the position you normally sleep in and the one you WILD in?

I find that it's nearly impossible for me to make it past that final stage unless I'm oriented in my typical sleeping position.

Also, I would suggest trying to "give in" to what's happening. Deferring your control of the situation to your body might be just what you need. It's hard to explain it in sufficiently understandable terms, but it's similar to the mindset of giving up on an attempt and simply letting yourself fall asleep.

Hope that helped.
      Last edited by Mzzkc; 08-08-2010 at 05:08 AM.
      Nighthog likes this.

Lurker
      Thanks!

I tried last night, and kept running into the same barrier. Electricity running over me, and as soon as I *realize* what's happening my wandering thoughts clear, and the vibrations fade... maybe it's because a mental block now. I'm going to try repeating a mantra while relaxing: "When I feel the vibrations, I will begin dreaming".

But while I failed at WILDing, I did learn that my preferred sleeping position while dreaming is on my side, but I've been trying to induce mainly by lying on my back. I will try again tonight by getting completely relaxed on my back, then rolling over to my side and falling asleep.

Hope it works!
      Last edited by targetzone; 08-08-2010 at 02:48 PM.

LD Count
      I think I failed a Wild because I got to hypnogogic imagery but then my heart rate when down or something that made me take short sudden breathes and I couldn't go further so I break the sleep paralysis

Member Achievements:
      Veteran First Class
      Mzzkc thanks for that post. I think it will help me out in my own WILD experiments.

I have had similar issues as the poster above. I've done that resting and just waiting and having that energy and heart beating stuff but then I 'wake up' and it fades away and I'm wide awake. I think what you told gave me the right idea on how to try it next time.
      Coolman likes this.

Canada
      Thanks for your post!

I didn't get to a WILD, only SP, but with knowing the knowledge that I should be simply going to sleep with an anchor rather than counting consciously (which kept me awake for hours before with no WILD) I got a hell of a lot further than I had done in the past.
      Still Tryin'

LD Count:
      DILD - 0
      WILD -0

LD Count
      UK
      DJ Entries
      I think you might be able to help me, recently I've been waking up in the middle of the night for no reason, maybe subconsciously in order to LD, i don't really know.

Well anyway after I wake up I can close my eyes and see the dream I was just having quite well, but I still feel conscious. Not lucid conscious, as I've DILDed before and that felt completely different. Its really strange, almost like two minds, my dream mind being hazy but nearly there and my awake mind being conscious. I think to myself, 'I'm awake' in my dream, but because I'm almost half and half don't become lucid.

Do you reckon if I keep doing this but spend more time on being, aware/thinking about lucidity/something else, I'll have a successful WILD?

By the way, your OP is really useful and I'll probably try it out tonight, thanks for the help.

Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by bengreenmusic View Post
      I think you might be able to help me, recently I've been waking up in the middle of the night for no reason, maybe subconsciously in order to LD, i don't really know.

Well anyway after I wake up I can close my eyes and see the dream I was just having quite well, but I still feel conscious. Not lucid conscious, as I've DILDed before and that felt completely different. Its really strange, almost like two minds, my dream mind being hazy but nearly there and my awake mind being conscious. I think to myself, 'I'm awake' in my dream, but because I'm almost half and half don't become lucid.

Do you reckon if I keep doing this but spend more time on being, aware/thinking about lucidity/something else, I'll have a successful WILD?

By the way, your OP is really useful and I'll probably try it out tonight, thanks for the help.
      If you wake up in the middle of the night, try to not open your eyes and do a DEILD.
      Still Tryin'

LD Count:
      DILD - 0
      WILD -0

LD Count
      86...?
      USA
      DJ Entries
      Last night I tried a WILD. I just listened to the sound of my breathing and ended up falling asleep normally. That night I had a DILD! This is a little off topic, but I've heard that it's actually common for failed WILDs to become DILDs. Just saying...

Member Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Vivid Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      150(ish)
      Århus, Denmark
      DJ Entries
      Thanks for this,

Had one WILD experience since reading this guide, and I am now back re-reading it as I have failed since.

The outline of what happened when I was succesful was that I had been haunted by recurring dreams that woke me up, reset and woke me up again within 1-2 minutes for some time. I recognised this and kept repeating to myself "just go to sleep" as I had these dreams, tossing, turning itching you name it. BAM I wake up and only realise SP while I was in the beginning of my lucid, the sensation of SP faded away after a few minutes of intense dream stabilisation.

Just want to support the whole, don't try to WILD with that description. In fact the mental repetition "just go to sleep" sort of became my serendipidous anchor to maintaining awarenes.

Gonna use your advice on retrospection, focus on what went right when it happend and try a more relaxed approach. My failures since have all been with me trying completely still, focusing on my breath, completely ignoring what happened when I succeeded. Have had 2 WILDs so far, both where I didn't recognise SP until I was in the dream, so I will really try not to give a crap about it and "just go to sleep".

Thanks a lot, will update when I am succesful!
      Mzzkc likes this.
      So fly with me, Theres a whole sky to see, I am taking your mind with me, into Lucidity, flying in unity could be normality, what you perceive to be is your reality – Dub FX

Lurker
      Well, I can't stop songs running through my head... And I think I've nearly WILDed before, but didn't know it. Why, you may ask? Well, I'd open my eyes and there would be portals to other freaking worlds staring back at me... or branching darkness reaching out to me... or HUGE ass spiders jumping at me.

But I'll start trying harder to resist my previous actions... which consisted of leaping out of bed.

Fais Ce Que Tu Voudras Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Mzzkc View Post
      Is there any difference between the position you normally sleep in and the one you WILD in?

I find that it's nearly impossible for me to make it past that final stage unless I'm oriented in my typical sleeping position.

Also, I would suggest trying to "give in" to what's happening. Deferring your control of the situation to your body might be just what you need. It's hard to explain it in sufficiently understandable terms, but it's similar to the mindset of giving up on an attempt and simply letting yourself fall asleep.

Hope that helped.
      This is what I was doing wrong. I'd lie on my back, feet apart, hands at my side. I could make it to Sleep Paralysis pretty fast, got some hypnogogic hallucinations, but then I'd either lose it are fall to sleep.

Other than this change, how do I fall asleep while maintaining that I am falling asleep. The process seems a lot like circular breathing in that I am actually breathing through my nose, while my cheek muscles push air out of my inflated mouth to maintain a constant air flow while I breathe. So in essence, I need to make the awareness second nature, while I focus on sleep, but I am unsure how to do this.

Thanks!

With a "C", baby. A "C".
      Bronx, NY
      This thread needs to stay on the front page. In my opinion, it's the best WILD tutorial since Billybobs.
      Mzzkc likes this.
      Lucid dreams, gotta love em.

Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Referrer Silver
      LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Elucive View Post
      This thread needs to stay on the front page. In my opinion, it's the best WILD tutorial since Billybobs.
      Wow. That's probably the biggest compliment you could've given me. XD

Honestly, I'm just glad this thread has been able to help people. I was worried it would fall on deaf ears when I wrote it.

With a "C", baby. A "C".
      Bronx, NY
      Lol, anything that has to do with how to WILD, is going to get a ton of hits. I'm very glad that this thread helps emphasize the fact that you need to fall asleep. Like seriously, too many people worry too much about SP, or looking out for this and that. Just pick an anchor, and put in the time and effort to work with it. I'm a firm believer that everyone has a personal unique anchor for them. So many threads are posted day after day, which questions that are answered in this very thread. This needs to be stickied.

LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Elucive View Post
      Lol, anything that has to do with how to WILD, is going to get a ton of hits. I'm very glad that this thread helps emphasize the fact that you need to fall asleep. Like seriously, too many people worry too much about SP, or looking out for this and that. Just pick an anchor, and put in the time and effort to work with it. I'm a firm believer that everyone has a personal unique anchor for them. So many threads are posted day after day, which questions that are answered in this very thread. This needs to be stickied.
      Maybe I should write up another thread with all the information I've shared throughout this post compiled into the OP. A comprehensive guide, if you will.

I think I'll do that after I get around to writing that archetype control guide.
      Last edited by Mzzkc; 08-29-2010 at 08:00 AM.

With a "C", baby. A "C".
      Bronx, NY
      Sounds good to me

LD Count
      ~30
      Kuala Lumpur
      PLEASE HELP!
      I've been trying to WILD forever now and never have any kind of success...
      I really,really need help,cause I can't find an experienced WILDer who can guide me...
      I seem to never get to SP...I either give up,or fall asleep...
      The the thing is...I usually attempt a WILD on my back,since attempting it on my sleeping position results me being 'too' comfortable and I simply fall asleep...
      When I lie on my back,One of two things happen...
      1.I lie there for 15 minutes with absolutely no result..or
      2.I get a painful feeling in my limbs from not moving for a long time...and well if I move my limbs,I usually give up or it results in me lying there for 15 minutes with no result...
      I really want to WILD,it seems like a great technique but I can't seem to get anywhere near SP...
      Appreciate any help provided...
      -Sam
      The idea is to remain in a constant state of departure while always arriving..

LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      =/

Did you even read the OP?

LD Count
      ~30
      Kuala Lumpur
      Hey...
      Yes,I did...what are you trying to say?
      -Sam

LD Count
      l҉ots
      DJ Entries
      I wrote that post because your questions show an ignorance to the topics that have been discussed in this thread. The OP itself states very clear that you shouldn't bother with SP, and the whole point of the thread was to emphasize falling asleep, which you don't seem to want to facilitate.

Please, do yourself a favor and read through all the responses I've given in this thread, and make sure you understand them before coming back to me. All your concerns have already been addressed, most of them in the OP. I very much detest repeating myself, so you'll understand my frustration.

LD Count
      ~30
      Kuala Lumpur
      Hey...
      I apologize for my ignorance,I understand your frustration and more importantly,understand the emphasis of the advice...
      The reason why I keep the thought of me going into sleep paralysis is because not doing so results in me losing consciousness and falling asleep...
      Falling asleep,for me,can be a fragile and a difficult thing...
      I will attempt a WILD on my normal sleeping position without the thought and anxiety of Sleep Paralysis...
      Thanks
      And a thousand apologies..
      -Sam

With a "C", baby. A "C".
      Bronx, NY
      If you go lights out that quickly, you should look for another anchor. I've been trying to use my air conditioner, but I keep failing. It's not that loud anyways so it's not like I'm going to suddenly realize I can't hear it anymore, lol. Maybe I should put a radio next to my bed and put on a noisy station.

Anyways, yeah, just do what you would normally do when you go to sleep. You gotta fall asleep to WILD

LD Count
      86...?
      USA
      DJ Entries
      When I try to WILD (keyword is try, I actually haven't succeeded yet), I listen to the sound of my breathing as an anchor. It may or may not work, it's just an idea.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast