• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 77
    Like Tree20Likes

    Thread: Before the Big Bang

    1. #1
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4025
      DJ Entries
      149
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    2. #2
      Banned
      Join Date
      May 2007
      LD Count
      Loads
      Gender
      Location
      Digital Forest.
      Posts
      6,864
      Likes
      385
      Holy crap, I fell out of my chair.

      Off to read the article nao...

    3. #3
      Member Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points

      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      2,503
      Likes
      217
      It's early to make any leaps for joy, but I think it'd be shocking if the big bang, as it is understood by most, is the be-all, end-all of existence. Just like neutonian mechanics, it's an "accurate enough" model to represent most useful calculations, but if you go beyond the model's operational range, you will likely find something different. I think Stephen Hawking has already presented a model of curved space/time where no discontinuities exist... That is, where things seem discontinuous in our space, they're actually smooth. It's been a very, very long time since I've read that, so I don't remember much about the details of that model.
      Oneironaut Zero likes this.

    4. #4
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,674
      Likes
      200
      Seems like there is at least one with a smigeon of common sense. Anyone with a brain could not possibly believe in the
      big bang idea.
      Dannon Oneironaut likes this.

    5. #5
      Haunted by entropy. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      sloth's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      LD Count
      20 years worth
      Gender
      Location
      Deep in the woods
      Posts
      2,131
      Likes
      584
      Quote Originally Posted by Philosopher8659 View Post
      Seems like there is at least one with a smigeon of common sense. Anyone with a brain could not possibly believe in the
      big bang idea.
      Incorrect.
      Anyone with a brain could possibly believe in the big bang idea, or the Hail Bop Comet idea, the Tooth Fairy.
      It is anyone without a brain that could not possibly believe in the Big Bang idea, or anything else.
      Last edited by sloth; 03-23-2011 at 07:45 PM.
      Dannon Oneironaut and Stubert like this.
      ---o--- my DCs say I'm dreamy.

    6. #6
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Right, of course; galaxies are all flying away from each other, but if you go back in time, they weren't any closer together. Derp.

      Most of the big picture of physics is incomplete. I don't pretend to understand the physics of Penrose's evidence, if it is indeed there, but this needs to be taken with a large grain of salt as there is a lot of evidence on the other side, too; the side that says the expansion of the universe is accelerating and so the universe will never shrink back and be born again.
      Oneironaut Zero and Ne-yo like this.

    7. #7
      Haunted by entropy. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      sloth's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      LD Count
      20 years worth
      Gender
      Location
      Deep in the woods
      Posts
      2,131
      Likes
      584
      I have been wondering if the big bang was simply the explosion of a superstring from an extra dimension.
      ---o--- my DCs say I'm dreamy.

    8. #8
      Terminally Out of Phase Descensus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2006
      Gender
      Posts
      2,246
      Likes
      831
      Quote Originally Posted by Philosopher8659 View Post
      Seems like there is at least one with a smigeon of common sense. Anyone with a brain could not possibly believe in the
      big bang idea.
      lol, wow.
      The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended. - Frédéric Bastiat
      I try to deny myself any illusions or delusions, and I think that this perhaps entitles me to try and deny the same to others, at least as long as they refuse to keep their fantasies to themselves. - Christopher Hitchens
      Formerly known as BLUELINE976

    9. #9
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4025
      DJ Entries
      149
      The counter-argument:
      No Evidence of Time Before Big Bang
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    10. #10
      Dionysian stormcrow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      LD Count
      About 1 a week
      Gender
      Location
      Cirith Ungol
      Posts
      895
      Likes
      482
      DJ Entries
      3
      Actually Penrose recently claimed that there was some activity before the big bang and it is probable that there have been many big bangs.

      Personally Ive always been a proponent of the idea that the universe didn't have an origin and is eternal. It is a really simple explanation that solves alot of problems in physics.

      Edit- Dammit Oneironaut! you beat me to it.

      Have Physicists Found Echoes From Before the Big Bang? | 80beats | Discover Magazine

      Penrose: WMAP Shows Evidence of
      Last edited by stormcrow; 03-24-2011 at 02:50 AM.

    11. #11
      "O" will suffice. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Gold Veteran First Class Populated Wall Tagger First Class 25000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal
      Oneironaut Zero's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2005
      LD Count
      20+ Years Worth
      Gender
      Location
      Central Florida
      Posts
      16,084
      Likes
      4025
      DJ Entries
      149
      Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
      Edit- Dammit Oneironaut! you beat me to it.
      Hehe.
      http://i.imgur.com/Ke7qCcF.jpg
      (Or see the very best of my journal entries @ dreamwalkerchronicles.blogspot)

    12. #12
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
      I have been wondering if the big bang was simply the explosion of a superstring from an extra dimension.
      I have been wondering if it was just matter spewing from a super-massive black hole.

      This stuff is always interesting. But it always comes back to, how did it start in the first place.

      Also, can someone show me these concentric circles? Instead of just saying they're there?

    13. #13
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
      Actually Penrose recently claimed that there was some activity before the big bang and it is probable that there have been many big bangs.

      Personally Ive always been a proponent of the idea that the universe didn't have an origin and is eternal. It is a really simple explanation that solves alot of problems in physics.
      By eternal you mean repeated Big Bangs?

      Which problems does this solve?
      tommo likes this.

    14. #14
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,674
      Likes
      200
      According to the math of the Big Bang, it is just another way of saying everything was created out of nothing. How different is that from saying God created everything from nothing? Or, more to the point, how different is a singularity from nothing?

      The linguistic fallacies of the whole theory should be obvious to a child, but it seems that grown and educated people can look at a contradiction and not even see it.

    15. #15
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      So you do think that despite the observed fact that galaxies are all moving away from one another, if we go back in time they were no closer together?

    16. #16
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,674
      Likes
      200
      Ever do any geometry? The fact that an equation in one section of a curve goes one way, don't mean it goes always.

      Many people would rather construct a myth, perpetuate a lie, than simply say, "I don't know." Religion and Science has a common meeting point in the mind of man. Yet in order to heal the mind, one must take that first step--and simply recognize our own ignorance, and say "I don't know." therefore, instead of constructing fantasies, I must learn.
      Last edited by Philosopher8659; 03-24-2011 at 11:53 AM.
      Dannon Oneironaut likes this.

    17. #17
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      They aren't fantasies. They are THEORIES. We can't just go off randomly trying to figure something out. We must decide first what is likely and then see if we can find evidence for and against it.

    18. #18
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      Quote Originally Posted by Philosopher8659 View Post
      Yet in order to heal the mind, one must take that first step--and simply recognize our own ignorance, and say "I don't know." therefore, instead of constructing fantasies, I must learn.
      That's the first smart thing I've ever heard you say. You should apply it.
      tommo likes this.
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    19. #19
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,674
      Likes
      200
      Quote Originally Posted by tommo View Post
      They aren't fantasies. They are THEORIES. We can't just go off randomly trying to figure something out. We must decide first what is likely and then see if we can find evidence for and against it.
      Actually, one needs to know the fundamentals of logic--grammar first. Seach the net, the foundation of the simple sentence is not yet known--or taught. How can one speak about anything with confidence when being ignorant of first principles?

      As far as Stoned goes, anyone loose a horny chiwawa?

    20. #20
      LD's this year: ~7 tommo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Gender
      Location
      Melbourne
      Posts
      9,202
      Likes
      4986
      DJ Entries
      7
      Quote Originally Posted by Philosopher8659 View Post
      Actually, one needs to know the fundamentals of logic--grammar first. Seach the net, the foundation of the simple sentence is not yet known--or taught. How can one speak about anything with confidence when being ignorant of first principles?
      Grammar has almost nothing to do with logic. And you didn't refute my argument at all.

    21. #21
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,674
      Likes
      200
      Grammar is a synonym for logic, or do you think that the manipulation of names is different from the manipulation of names? duh.

      Anyway, you illustrate why prophets are taught the way they are taught, to abstract the similie in multis, the one idea in the many examples. Without it, you call the same thing different, i.e. incapable of judgment.
      Last edited by Philosopher8659; 03-24-2011 at 12:55 PM.
      Dannon Oneironaut likes this.

    22. #22
      Rational Spiritualist DrunkenArse's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Da Aina
      Posts
      2,941
      Likes
      1091
      CAREFUL TOMMO! Warning about circle squarers Heed the warning!
      Previously PhilosopherStoned

    23. #23
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,674
      Likes
      200
      Quote Originally Posted by PhilosopherStoned View Post
      CAREFUL TOMMO! Warning about circle squarers Heed the warning!
      Dont worry Stone, I have two legs that can be ridden.

    24. #24
      Haunted by entropy. Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      sloth's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2006
      LD Count
      20 years worth
      Gender
      Location
      Deep in the woods
      Posts
      2,131
      Likes
      584
      Quote Originally Posted by Philosopher8659 View Post
      According to the math of the Big Bang, it is just another way of saying everything was created out of nothing. How different is that from saying God created everything from nothing? Or, more to the point, how different is a singularity from nothing?

      The linguistic fallacies of the whole theory should be obvious to a child, but it seems that grown and educated people can look at a contradiction and not even see it.
      Incorrect. The Big Bang Theory does not state anything about anything being created.
      ---o--- my DCs say I'm dreamy.

    25. #25
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      1,674
      Likes
      200
      And just what do you call a singularity?

      zero volume is just another way of saying does not exist.


      It does not matter if you put a creationist theory in a dress or in pants, from the foundation of any and every grammar system, one cannot predicate existence. That realization goes as far back as at least Plato.

      Every logic system, grammar system, starts with givens. Pulling them out of a hat, or out of singularities, is simply saying the non-given given--a foundation of sand.
      Last edited by Philosopher8659; 03-24-2011 at 02:38 PM.
      Dannon Oneironaut likes this.

    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. FFS!!! :bang:
      By flaterick94 in forum Attaining Lucidity
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 06-06-2010, 08:13 PM
    2. I don't want a relationship, I just want bang bang bang.
      By Jeff777 in forum Senseless Banter
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
    3. The big bang cannot be
      By Dewitback in forum Religion/Spirituality
      Replies: 90
      Last Post: 02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
    4. Replies: 20
      Last Post: 11-19-2007, 12:42 AM
    5. BANG.....BANG........SCIENTIFIC.
      By dreamboat in forum Introduction Zone
      Replies: 27
      Last Post: 06-02-2005, 12:45 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •