• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Like Tree584Likes

Thread: Senses Initiated Lucid Dream (SSILD)

Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class 5000 Hall Points

Thumbs up Senses Initiated Lucid Dream (SSILD)

A little disclaimer: There are many similarities between SSILD and the other lucid dream induction methods such as WILD, MILD, etc. In fact, if you wish, you could label SSILD as a derivative of those methods, or you could simply write it off as an old method with a new name since the differences may be rather subtle. Also I'm not sure if this name has been taken, so if it was then please let me know so I can change it to something else.

Update! The steps for SSILD have been revised as of January 2013. Please check the SSILD blog for an entry that describes the latest way of executing the technique: 宇宙の铁: Senses Initiated Lucid Dream (SSILD) Official Tutorial

Background

While teaching lucid dreaming to novices I realize that many popular methods share a fundamental problem. That is, they all require too much finesse. For example, the typical WILD techniques require proper relaxation which by itself is a difficult subject. Another example is affirmation -- how do you do affirmation effectively? We all know that simply chanting mantras will not do the trick. Same goes for visualization, breathing, and the list just goes on and on.

We need a method that is as effective as it is idiot-proof, hence the creation of the SSILD technique. A large group of people, mainly novices, participated in testing the new method, and within months we received many hundreds of reports of success. And unlike some techniques that only work for the first couple of times, SSILD users report consistent result from regular usage. Many even learned to induce LDs and OBEs on daily basis.

Theory

We do not know why exactly SSILD works. One user pointed out that the method shares some resemblance with the self-hypnosis method introduced by Betty Erickson, wife of the late Dr. Milton H. Erickson. Another theory is that by repeated stimulation of the various senses in a trance-like state, we incubate our mind and body into the right condition suited for entering a DILD, WILD, or OBE.

Regardless the theory, it is utterly crucial to keep in mind that SSILD is not strictly a WILD technique. While many users report successful LD/OBE induction from the waking state, this method is equally effective at inducing DILDs. In fact, I strongly suggest users treat it solely as a DILD technique in order to use it in the most effective manner.

Step-by-step

1. The best time to practice is after 4 or 5 hours of sleep. You could also combine the practice with WBTB for maximum effect but it is not required. DO NOT do this at the start of your sleep -- it will NOT work! The only exception is afternoon naps since you enter directly into REM.

2. Repeat the following procedures 4 or 5 times. DO NOT attempt too many repetitions even if you don't feel anything. Remember you are not doing a WILD. You are simply setting things up for OBEs and LDs to occur at later point. If you repeat too many times you may risk losing sleep thus destroys the purpose.

2a) With your eyes closed, stare at the darkness behind your eyelids for 15-20 seconds. Try to pick up any colors, lights, or images, but do not strain your eye muscle. If you see nothing but darkness, that's fine. Again, we are not striving to induce dreams from the waked state, so do NOT force it. It is perfectly fine to not feel anything.

2b) Listen to the noises in your ears for 15-20 seconds. Chances are you will hear some light humming and buzzing sound. See if you can hear it more clearly. If you don't hear anything that's okay.

2c) Notice any strange body sensations such as heaviness, tingling, and movements. Pay attention particularly to the head, hands, fingers, abdomen, feet, and toes. Again, it is perfectly fine if you don't feel anything strange.

The above steps should be performed in a relaxed manner, slowly, lazily, and without any rational thoughts. The 15-20 seconds duration is for your reference only, so do NOT count in your head! Chances are, after a couple of repetitions you will begin to feel sleepy, to the point your mind may drift away and forget to continue the exercise. Congratulations, this is exactly the effect we are after! When this happens just pull your mind back a bit and resume from where you drifted away. If you lost count of the repetitions then simply do a new set. It won't hurt.

3. Find the most comfortable position and try to fall asleep as quickly as possible! The quicker you fall asleep the more likely you will succeed later in your dreams!

What's going to happen

Several things may happen through this exercise:

1. After you fall asleep, you may suddenly wake up with a strange sensation. You will feel wide awake, and your body weightless. At this point just do a reality check and roll out from your bed to begin an OBE.

2. You wake up with vibrations and other strange sensations. Hung onto these sensations will lead you into an OBE.

3. You suddenly become lucid in your dreams with no apparent reasons, or you may begin to suspect you are dreaming.

4. You have a False Awakening. Unlike the first experience, you may feel awake but still drowsy. FAs will occur frequently with SSILD, therefore you should get used to it and become good at identifying them.

5. A WILD or direct OBE. Phase entrance may occur during the repetition, with your mind still awake. When this happens, many of the sensations become amplified. You should stop doing any further exercises, and begin focusing on the sensations until you successfully enter the phase.

6. If all else fail you can try the following technique as a last resort. Upon waking up again, which you eventually will after step 3, try relax your head and allow it to sink into the pillow. If done correctly you will generate vibrations and enter an OBE from a fully waked state. This works because SSILD has prepared your body and mind to enter a phase easily. In fact if you increase the number of repetitions you may be able to do this even before you fall asleep from step 3!

About me

My personal research and practice on lucid dreaming dates back in early 90s. Throughout the years I've recorded thousands of LDs and OBEs. Two years ago I joined a lucid dreaming forum in China, and since then have become one of their prominent writers and trainers. The forum quickly grew to over 60,000 active members. This provided me with an excellent test bed for new ideas. Together we developed and refined the SSILD method more than 8 months ago. Today it is being actively practiced and improved upon by thousands of people.

Common causes for loss of sleep

Being unable to fall asleep easily after the cycles is a common problem encountered by inexperienced users of the SSILD technique, there are several possible causes:

1. False Awakening. No I'm not kidding. What you are experiencing could well be an FA and this is very common after doing SSILD. You basically just lay there trying to fall asleep while you are already asleep. One way to work around this is to do additional repetitions when you find you are unable to sleep. Assuming you are in an FA, or sometimes a light trance, then the cycling technique will usually result in very apparent HIs, ringing sounds, vibrations, or other effects. When the effects occur you can simple do an RA, and then roll out of the bed to begin an OBE.

2. You are focusing too much on producing the effects/sensations while doing the reps. Remember, WILD and OBE are by products of SSILD. They should not be sought after. When you do the cycles, do NOT expect anything will happen. You should focus on losing focus. That's the right way to do SSILD.

3. Rational thoughts entering the mind while doing the cycles. It's fine to let your mind drift to other things, but you should NEVER analyize what you are doing! Oh, do NOT count either. You don't want precision!

4. Deliberately trying to relax. Remember, SSILD is very much a self hypnosis tool, so you should rely on that to put you into sleep. Don't mix in any relaxation techniques befor or after! And certainly do not attempt to stay relaxed during the repetitions. You just get comfortable, and leave the relaxation part to the technique.

5. Interruption. This is the single biggest killer. If you are repeatedly interrupted, whether by sudden noises, discomforts, or others, you should seize doing the exercise and go to sleep right away. You can always do it again later, so do not force it.
      Last edited by CanisLucidus; 04-04-2013 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Added link to updated steps

DJ Entries
      You make reference to a 'phase' experience. I only know of one other well known practitioner that uses this term, Mr. Michael Raduga, and I believe he coined the term. Is your method an extension of his discoveries please?

Please click on the links below, more techniques under investigation to come soon...

Flailing chicken barnacle Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Earth
      DJ Entries
      Hm..

This is very interesting, and I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. I can see how you don't understand how it works, though. There doesn't appear to be any direct connection to dreaming at all!

Very odd. I think I'll try it sometime.
      Alex is greatest. He <i>is</i> the Master Flan.

DJ Entries
      Ive read over this again carefully and your instructions are very similar to Michael Raduga's, 'Indirect Techniques' from his book, 'School of Out of Body Travel'.

Please click on the links below, more techniques under investigation to come soon...

DJ Entries
      I do this naturally. It's interesting that some people seem to need a guide, for what is instinctual in others.

Salud Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Not a contest
      Somewhere In Time
      What's the average success rate on this technique?

Member Achievements:

Not really... Robert Monroe, Frank Kepple, and many people also used that term long ago... and I happen to like the term in addition to lack of better terms
      Last edited by CosmicIron; 03-29-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by mcwillis View Post
      Ive read over this again carefully and your instructions are very similar to Michael Raduga's, 'Indirect Techniques' from his book, 'School of Out of Body Travel'.
      This is an excerpt of my answer to a user in another forum. For those of you who are not familiar with Michael Raduga's work I'm providing a simple explanation here: Michael is a lead OBE expert and author of several popular related books. His method, which he calls "indirect technique", is very similar to SSILD in the way it also uses the concept of "cycling". To use his technique effectively one needs to develop the habit that upon awakening one should immediately remain completely still and attempt phase entrance using his cycling technique. Unlike SSILD, his technique includes a wide range of actions which you can cycle through in an a la carte fashion, such as squeezing the brain, wiggling the fingers, etc. Michael's technique, once mastered, can be very effective. His book offers a lot of insight, and I highly recommend it.

The SSILD method was initially based on my own customized WILD routine, which given years of practice has enabled me to WILD at will. It was almost identical to Michael's technique plus a few extras. In the beginning we simply wanted to create a streamlined version of this WILD routine, but several revisions later we came to a very important realization -- it simply works better if we DON'T treat it as a WILD technique!

Before I get ahead of myself, lets look at Michael's method first. You were correct that the hardest part of that method is remembering to stay completely still upon awakening. In fact, if you finally manage to do this you hardly need any technique at all. Another problem is the method being very demanding on the proper mind/body condition at the time of the execution. Given the right condition, it is not impossible to have a successful WILD within minutes, even seconds! However, when the condition is not met, for example, when you are rather wide awake, the method will unlikely do you any good. You can try wiggle your fingers without using muscle but that will feel genuinely fake. You then move on to stare behind your eyelids but you will see nothing but blackness. You then try squeezing your brain but that simply feel weird... Let's face it, how are you supposed to squeeze your brain? Of course, all of these become very easy and real when you are in the phase or are on the edge of a phase, but the exercise itself is not really designed to move you toward the phase. In fact, the amount of concentration demanded by the exercise will often leave you wide awake!

Now let's look at SSILD. Like Michael's technique, if you use SSILD when you are in the proper mind/body condition, the cycling procedures will very likely result in rapidS entry into the phase. However, since it is not a WILD technique, we don't care so much about producing immediate effect! Being able to WILD is a bonus, not a must. Thus, we do the cycling routines regardless of whether they cause any sensations to occur. Here we see a fundamental difference between the two methods -- where Michael's method requires focus, SSILD requires un-focus. With SSILD it is fair to say that the only thing you should focus on is how to quickly lose focus. You want to cycle tShrough the senses in the laziest manner. You want to lose count. You want to forget where you are. You want to drag this on and on... Essentially you just want to fall asleep so much you give up on doing the exercise, which is perfect.

SSILD then works its magic after you fall asleep. You may suddenly wake up again, due to the motion caused by the cycling, and instead of awakening into reality you end up going into a phase because SSILD has already prepared your mind and body into the proper condition. If you combine SSILD with WBTB, then your chance of becoming aware within your dreams is greatly increased because the routine somehow is pretty good at messaging that little bit of awareness into your dreams...
      Last edited by CosmicIron; 03-29-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by Indeed View Post
      Hm..

This is very interesting, and I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. I can see how you don't understand how it works, though. There doesn't appear to be any direct connection to dreaming at all!

Very odd. I think I'll try it sometime.
      LOL yeah we don't really know why it works... We can only guess. After seeing the self-hypnosis technique from Betty Erickson, which bears a lot resemblance with SSILD, I began suspect it has something to do with self hypnosis.
      ArjuBalor likes this.

Member Achievements:

I don't have an accurate statistic but based on the reports we'ver gathered, the success rate is at least 50% if not higher. One thing we do know is that once you get a hang of this it produces consistent results. On the Chinese forum I worked with a smaller group of people, approximately 50, very closely, interacting with them on a daily basis. Five of them learnt to be able to succeed on a daily basis. They were complete amateurs with no prior experience with lucid dreaming. The average time for them to achieve this consistent result is about two months. Aside from these five people, all other members have experienced success, mostly within the first week, and they can average at least one or two LD/OBEs per week. The technique was first released on that forum in August last year. To date we have collected hundreds of detailed report on success.
      Micael, StephL and BinauralBeats like this.

Salud Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Not a contest
      Somewhere In Time
      This sounds really interesting. So, I get up with an alarm after around 5 hours of sleep, cycle through the senses and try to fall asleep, is that about it?

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by rynkrt3 View Post
      This sounds really interesting. So, I get up with an alarm after around 5 hours of sleep, cycle through the senses and try to fall asleep, is that about it?
      Yes that's all. You might want to stay awake for 5-10 minutes after the alarm. If you do the cycles correctly you should have no problem falling asleep because they are hypnosis methods that can help put you into a trance. However if you find it hard to fall asleep aftward then you may not be doing the technqiues correctly. I just modified the original post to include the common causes for loss of sleep. Please make sure you read them. Good luck!
      BinauralBeats likes this.

LD Count
      eight
      DJ Entries
      This seems interesting. I think I'll try ,,

DJ Entries
      Firstly, in my second post, post #4, I should have said, 'Direct Techniques' as they are vastly different in the way that they are executed compared to the 'Indirect' ones.

Secondly I have another comment:

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicIron View Post
      1. The best time to practice is after 4 or 5 hours of sleep. You could also combine the practice with WBTB for maximum effect but it is not required.
      I don't want to come across as being critical or pedantic but this is WBTB by definition and the instructions could be confusing to some.

This is an excellent guide because the experimental results have proven its worth. It contradicts Michael Raduga's instructions for performing these techniques prior to WBTB sleep. I am far too busy to use WBTB but when I do have a morning off I will follow your instructions exactly to see how eficacious the method is.

I would also highly recommend anyone who wants to use this to record prompts with 15 second intervals and practice the method. It is very surprising how hard it is to judge how long 15 seconds really is. I am sure this practice will really help with actually performing the method. Just throwing in my two pence
      StephL and BinauralBeats like this.

DJ Entries
      Waking up and laying completely still, that's called a DEILD, and it takes no special skills. No need to overcomplicate things.

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
      Waking up and laying completely still, that's called a DEILD, and it takes no special skills. No need to overcomplicate things.
      I see what you are saying. However, the instructions were originally vague to me, perhaps Im just a little stupid or slow. I know what a DEILD is and I wasn't overcomplicating things, just pointing out an observation I had made in the instructions, that's all.

LD Count
      Over the rainbow.
      DJ Entries
      So, there is a way that this technique could help you to WILD?
      But it's not exactly a WILD technique?
      So to achieve a WILD with this tech, do you just keep doing the repetitions over again?
      I'm kind of unsure.
      Follow your dreams.

DILD - 50 | DEILD - 3 | WILD - 1 | MILD - 1

Previous Goal: Air bend
      Main Goal: Find my Dream Guide

Spoiler for Goals:

DJ Entries
      I see what you are saying. However, the instructions were originally vague to me, perhaps Im just a little stupid or slow. I know what a DEILD is and I wasn't overcomplicating things, just pointing out an observation I had made in the instructions, that's all.
      I was replying to the OP not you. I don't think you mentioned anything about DEILDing.

DJ Entries
      However, when the condition is not met, for example, when you are rather wide awake, the method will unlikely do you any good.
      Mr. Raduga says that this is a common misconception that people have that being too awake is going to reduce ones chances. From years of seminar research and results the level of 'wakefulness' that one has is irrelevant to a successful phase entrance.

You can try wiggle your fingers without using muscle but that will feel genuinely fake. You then move on to stare behind your eyelids but you will see nothing but blackness. You then try squeezing your brain but that simply feel weird... Let's face it, how are you supposed to squeeze your brain? Of course, all of these become very easy and real when you are in the phase or are on the edge of a phase, but the exercise itself is not really designed to move you toward the phase. In fact, the amount of concentration demanded by the exercise will often leave you wide awake!
      The most recent research of Mr. Raduga is that phantom wiggling, swimming technique, rotation and imaging rubbing hands in front of one's face are the most effective indirect techniques. We often are in the 'phase' state immediately upon waking. I have many times awoken, keeping completely still, and immediately just left my physical body by getting up like I would do with my physical body. If this doesn't happen then 'Indirect Techniques' are then necessary to move one towards the phase state.
      BinauralBeats likes this.

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by nina View Post
      I was replying to the OP not you. I don't think you mentioned anything about DEILDing.

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
      So, there is a way that this technique could help you to WILD?
      But it's not exactly a WILD technique?
      So to achieve a WILD with this tech, do you just keep doing the repetitions over again?
      I'm kind of unsure.
      When you practice the instructions you may enter a lucid dream or an OBE before going back to sleep or you may enter a lucid dream or OBE when you have gone back to sleep. It is a WILD though many would argue that this is a DEILD method, another form of WILD. As CosmicIron says repeat the procedure 4 or 5 times.

EDIT: Sorry for multi-posting, its late and Im tired.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      A very interesting method.
      As you said, it doesn't hurt to try, so I think I'll do that =)
      However, i'm a bit insecure about OBE. Although I understand the concept, it's still feel a bit weird. I never had one so maybe that's why I feel a bit unconfortable to imagine me having an OBE.
      mcwillis likes this.
      Lucidity's Competition's Three Tasks:

Spoiler for 1. Become Lucid
      2. Teleport
      3. Dream Guide Encounter]
      :

DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by MysticalSophie View Post
      A very interesting method.
      As you said, it doesn't hurt to try, so I think I'll do that =)
      However, i'm a bit insecure about OBE. Although I understand the concept, it's still feel a bit weird. I never had one so maybe that's why I feel a bit unconfortable to imagine me having an OBE.
      As I pointed out earlier getting up out of my body seems just as normal as getting up out of my bed in my physical body

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      I see...
      Well, now that I have read more about OBE I'm seriously thinking that a old LD of mine could be something similar to an OBE.
      It was after some hours of sleep, I woke up from my bed, and I was in my house (I could visit any part of the house just like in real life.) I could fly, but it was more like swimming on the air. However, I didn't feel any spiritual sensation or something, so maybe it was more a realistic LD. x)
      Lucidity's Competition's Three Tasks:

Spoiler for 1. Become Lucid
      2. Teleport
      3. Dream Guide Encounter]
      :

DJ Entries
      Mr. Raduga says that this is a common misconception that people have that being too awake is going to reduce ones chances. From years of seminar research and results the level of 'wakefulness' that one has is irrelevant to a successful phase entrance.
      I'm not familiar with this particular terminology or what is meant by "phase entrance", I'm assuming it's just a transitional stage of WILD? However I definitely to not believe that it is a misconception that it is more difficult to induce a WILD when one is more awake. Wakefulness is definitely not irrelevant. On the contrary, a successful WILD involves a pretty narrow margin of awareness in that you should not be too awake or too sleepy during the transition if you are to succeed. But I may be misunderstanding your point, if so, please clarify.

Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast