• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 13 of 13
    Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By JustinS
    • 1 Post By The Cusp

    Thread: Does flying in LD destabilize them?

    1. #1
      Reaility Surfer beachgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Marin County, CA
      Posts
      441
      Likes
      40

      Does flying in LD destabilize them?

      it seems that when i fly, there's a good chance my lucidity ends.

      is this just because i'm inexperienced with ld'ing (have flown maybe 20 times) and need to focus more on stabilization?

      at this point? or is there something about flying that is inherently destabilizing? Maybe i should try other things more, even though i love flying.

      thanks
      “I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time.” -

      Am I dreaming? Do a Reality Check. Is this is a dream?

    2. #2
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Vivid Dream Journal
      Hukif's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      LD Count
      6584
      Gender
      Location
      México
      Posts
      4,123
      Likes
      1148
      DJ Entries
      94
      Weird, do you fly high or low? Maybe you just aren't customed to one of the two and thats why it wakes you up.
      Creating a new persistent realm, claiming it and breaking the last seal I made back in the beggining of my journey are my goals right now

    3. #3
      Reaility Surfer beachgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Marin County, CA
      Posts
      441
      Likes
      40
      both... high, low, through buildings, hop from table top to table top... i like to swim, too! same sort of question.


      it just seems like when i do fly, i don't "focus" on the very intricate details that people say help keep you lucid. and that it does help when i focus on specifics, like details very close in.

      but i love to fly! and i don't want to come to any conclusions that it's going to be destabilizing, if it's unwarranted.

      appreciate your input, thanks!
      “I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time.” -

      Am I dreaming? Do a Reality Check. Is this is a dream?

    4. #4
      Believer
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      1000s
      Gender
      Location
      Land of Nod
      Posts
      160
      Likes
      28
      Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl View Post
      both... high, low, through buildings, hop from table top to table top... i like to swim, too! same sort of question.


      it just seems like when i do fly, i don't "focus" on the very intricate details that people say help keep you lucid. and that it does help when i focus on specifics, like details very close in.

      but i love to fly! and i don't want to come to any conclusions that it's going to be destabilizing, if it's unwarranted.

      appreciate your input, thanks!
      Perhaps you are getting to excited. I would make sure you stabilize the dream first. This happens to me during sex. I'm still working on remembering to stabilize first. i've never had any problems flying, but probably because sex to me is much more enjoyable. Maybe that and I've always flew since I was a kid. Anyway, that stabilization would be my guess. Getting excited about anything always wakes me up instantly.

    5. #5
      Time to SHOOSH Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Created Dream Journal
      shooshtime's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      LD Count
      305+
      Gender
      Location
      Orange County
      Posts
      97
      Likes
      23
      DJ Entries
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by kingofhypocrites View Post
      Perhaps you are getting to excited. I would make sure you stabilize the dream first. This happens to me during sex. I'm still working on remembering to stabilize first. i've never had any problems flying, but probably because sex to me is much more enjoyable. Maybe that and I've always flew since I was a kid. Anyway, that stabilization would be my guess. Getting excited about anything always wakes me up instantly.
      I think you are spot on with the excitement thing, my first LD I flew without any problems for a while and it was amazing. My second LD I tried flying right away but instantly woke up, I think the excitement of having my 2nd lucid and trying to fly was just too much. I think working on stabilization is the key to working on all your dream control goals.

    6. #6
      Reaility Surfer beachgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Marin County, CA
      Posts
      441
      Likes
      40
      i think in my case it feels like a universal thing of "not having details to focus on". i get kind of "swept away"...

      not so much exicted as that ... i lose focus.

      do i need to start focusing why flying? lucid dreams are so visual, and flying is more kinesthetic. maybe i just need to try to look around more? observe the clouds, slow things down...

      i'd hate to stop flying.
      “I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time.” -

      Am I dreaming? Do a Reality Check. Is this is a dream?

    7. #7
      Newbie louie54's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2004
      Gender
      Location
      San Diego
      Posts
      1,897
      Likes
      347
      According the the Dream Control tutorial, flying too high can destablize the dream, but if this also happens if you are flying low, maybe you are just losing focus?

    8. #8
      Diamonds And Rust Achievements:
      Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Darkmatters's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Center of the universe
      Posts
      6,952
      Likes
      5837
      DJ Entries
      172
      Maybe you could look at your hands while you're flying? I don't know though... guess that's not a great idea. Kinda hard to see where you're going, and an odd position to fly in. Maybe rub your hands together every now and then while flying, to help with stabilization?

      I'm just throwing out suggestions here.

    9. #9
      Believer
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      1000s
      Gender
      Location
      Land of Nod
      Posts
      160
      Likes
      28
      Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl View Post
      i think in my case it feels like a universal thing of "not having details to focus on". i get kind of "swept away"...

      not so much exicted as that ... i lose focus.

      do i need to start focusing why flying? lucid dreams are so visual, and flying is more kinesthetic. maybe i just need to try to look around more? observe the clouds, slow things down...

      i'd hate to stop flying.
      Maybe it's the speed at which you are flying. I always fly fairly slow. Perhaps this allows more visual stimulation as opposed to blur.

    10. #10
      Am I dreaming? JustinS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Gender
      Location
      Southern California
      Posts
      40
      Likes
      2
      I have had similar issues with flying. For the first 20 or so times, I had little or no problems with flying and maintaining lucidity. However, the more that I started to try and control the flight or the more that I thought about the fact that I was flying, the more frequently my lucidity ended.

      Not to go against the grain here, but my take on it is that it has little to do with how high, low, fast, or slow you fly. There really aren't any physical laws or governing rules with lucidity or flying. I think the trick of it all has more to do with expectations. If you read that flying lower will maintain your lucidity, then your expectations will most likely follow.

      I have had the greatest success with flying (and lucidity for that matter) when I simply relax and let go of trying to control the experience so much. It seems that this method allows my expectations and intentions to rise to the surface on their own. I suppose you could say that it is doing without thinking or willing. The idea would be to let the seed of the thought be the driving factor and not the actual though or statement that it would grow to become.

      Over thinking seems to be a stop sign for lucidity in my experiences.

      I hope that makes some sense. It is my theory for now anyway, and has helped me.
      beachgirl likes this.
      DILDs = 48
      WILDs = 0

    11. #11
      DreamSlinger The Cusp's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Ottawa, Ontario
      Posts
      4,878
      Likes
      644
      DJ Entries
      192
      Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl View Post
      it seems that when i fly, there's a good chance my lucidity ends.

      is this just because i'm inexperienced with ld'ing (have flown maybe 20 times) and need to focus more on stabilization?

      at this point? or is there something about flying that is inherently destabilizing? Maybe i should try other things more, even though i love flying.
      You say lucidity ends, so I'm assuming you don't wake up.

      Is there something about flying that is inherently destabilizing? No. Not if you do it right. There is ratio between height and speed that keeps things stable. For high altitude, fly fast. For low altitude, fly slow.

      The real problem with flight is that it's too big of a distraction, too much fun. I lose my lucidity almost every time I fly, which is annoying because I use flying to stabilize the dream once I get lucid. Personally, I have to stop myself from flying to do anything constructive in a lucid.

      Definitely try other things more. When you lose lucidity, it's because you go along with whatever is happening and start to believe it. You need that sense of separation, of things not being real to keep you lucid. Flying can overwhelm your senses so that you have no choice to go along with it.
      beachgirl likes this.

    12. #12
      Reaility Surfer beachgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Marin County, CA
      Posts
      441
      Likes
      40
      sometimes i wake up, sometimes i don't.
      but i think it's true, not to get too excited or believe this will end lucidity, which is why i posted the question. i don't want to believe this.

      i like the thought of maybe experimenting with doing other things instead of flying for a while, until i get to be a better lucid dreamer, and my lucids are more stabilized, i'll try other things... teleporting, for example, seems harmless enough! or walking through doors and portals.

      i think i may be flying before they are stable *enough*, since i'm a flying "hound".
      “I think we dream so we don't have to be apart so long. If we're in each other's dreams, we can be together all the time.” -

      Am I dreaming? Do a Reality Check. Is this is a dream?

    13. #13
      http://bit.ly/GoToCME Clyde Machine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      LD Count
      Above 31.
      Gender
      Location
      Midland, Michigan
      Posts
      1,396
      Likes
      160
      DJ Entries
      55
      Do you fly for a specific destination? I've read material on flying during lucid dreams that suggests that not only does high-flying endanger the life of your lucid dream, but also flying without imagining where you want to go.
      DV Dictionary. / Verious: a definition. /

      I'm not on DV much these days, but I'll try to toss a cool dream or two into my DJ.

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •