• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Like Tree56Likes

Thread: You have been waiting for this! Join the revolution

Ev
      Berryman, not only sleep cycle, but your very awareness of that very fact can probably be downgraded to an equation. It is probably a complex equation, but thanks to enganeering, it can be represented as a sum of sine/cosine waves of varying frequencies/periods. Kinda like an FM radio, it rides on top of a carrier signal, while the little change in frequency is amplified.

Is this what Steve Jobs wanted out of iPhone? This device is capable of understanding the very consciousness of the human being? I had grandiose projects for the lucid dream induction device, but to think that the iPhone4 has been built as a consciousness detection device? This is really the thing that may link the human civilization together. A connected device which reflects, records and responds to your very awareness. It can represent the image of any person holding the device and imitate it for any other person holding the same device. Any screenshot, taken on any iPhone 4 would look the same on any other iPhone.
      Last edited by Ev; 10-19-2011 at 05:20 AM.
      Dark_Merlin likes this.

Member Achievements:
      5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

Far above anything I can comprehend, really. I wish you the best of luck in continued development of this and the expansion of your project.

I'd love to see this become it's own device instead of one based on the iPhone, android, what have you; would be the Novadreamer 2.0

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/i997armband.html -- Would this armband be as suitable as the one you tailored for the iPhone? Don't get me wrong, if you produce an "oversized" case I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
      Last edited by berryman13; 10-19-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Ev
      There are a total of 5 variables that I want to test in detection algorithms. the #6 and #5 are 2 of them. I refer to them by their "code" names. There are 3 more that I simply cannot look at because the excel is *dying* trying to compute this.

Regarding the armband. It's sad, but that's also the only commercially available iPhone armband there is. It might be suited for sports, it will produce some sort of a waveform, but the most accuracy may be lost, because in my armband, the back of the phone has flat contact with the body through a thin layer of spandex.

As for the novadreamer, the iphone already is a novadreamer 2.0 It's the matrix 1.0

Melbourne
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Ev View Post
      Thanks for discussing the app! The iPhone version would be significantly more accurate. Here are the results from the alpha test. I dont believe something like that is possible from the mattress based android lucid dreaming app. Sorry for the confusing UI, I really intend to clean it up for the iPhone. And then upgrade the android app to match the quality. It's going to be really simple and mostly automated. The UI of the android beta is so complex, because there are so many customization options for the detection and playback. You really have to know your sleep cycles very well and know how the app would respond to that.

With iphone it would be:
      Calibrate the app in 1 minute
      Set 6 reminders
      Hit the play button.
      Sit back and enjoy. I do the heavy engineering and math automatically to understand when your REM is going to occur. I would know when it would occur 10-15 minutes before it would occur and would know with a very high degree of certainty within 30 seconds of dream onset. After that, the reminder would be played !

Back on topic:
      I found the sleep cycle wave! The top of the sine wave, after the spike on the red graph is when REM happens!

For the sake of me having to answer questions in one place, let's post them here:
      http://www.dreamviews.com/f44/you-ha...07/index2.html
      and start the lucid dreaming revolution!

This is 3 days of data, back to back, notice that the time changes from 7am to 12 am between days. There's a spike in activity before each sleep cycle. For my data, I can say with a high degree of certainty that I'm dreaming from the occurence of the red spike until the peak of the blue line.

Another attempt at sleep cycles:

I'm responding to the post from the other thread here.

AHHHHHHHHH
      THAT IS AWESOME MAN!

So you're bringing it out for iOS? Is the accelerometer more accurate in the iPhone or something?
      Fuck.... might have to get the iPhone 4S now

Nevertheless, great work, when do you reckon it will be done?

Also, the new Galaxy Nexus has an accelerometer and a gyroscope:
      http://ausdroid.net/2011/10/19/samsu...-galaxy-nexus/
      Last edited by tommo; 10-19-2011 at 10:39 AM.

That Wizard Guy <span class='glow_00868B'>Dark_Merlin</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      Australia
      DJ Entries
      I find myself telling more and more people around here this same thing but Ev,

You are a genius. If I have to buy an iPhone just so that I can use your app, I will. I would be willing to pay WAY more than $4 for something like this, too. The kind of things this app can achieve, I hope you become very, very successful because of it
      zoth00 likes this.
      Total Lds - 103
      Spoiler for Goals:

Melbourne
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Merlin View Post
      I find myself telling more and more people around here this same thing but Ev,

You are a genius. If I have to buy an iPhone just so that I can use your app, I will. I would be willing to pay WAY more than $4 for something like this, too. The kind of things this app can achieve, I hope you become very, very successful because of it
      I wholeheartedly concur.

And yes, I would pay a lot more than $4 lol
      And I think I am going to buy an iPhone just for this app as well.

Ev
      Thank you I should call apple right now and ask them if they want to help me finish the app just to sell more iPhones
      tommo and Dark_Merlin like this.

LD Count
      Hold up.. I just re-read, you say iphone 4, I have ipod touch, the latest one (before the 4s or whatever it is) im slightly confused lol is there difference? I only bought mine couple of weeks ago its the latest one but will it still work?

Ev
      I've taken a much more serious engineering approach to this today, and found 3 more detection algorithms.

One identifies awakenings. Nothing special here, this might be useful to correlate dream journal entries to the real time, if you don't date your entries. Potentially, this is great for dream journal kind of application. This would also help me time other algorithms better and avoid interrupting the user while the user is awake.

Detection algorithm 2 appears to be able to detect REM or the REM transition.
      It shows correct REM duration within the correct time frame and appears to be able to predict the next REM period. There are a few other intersting events that I found within the suspected period. This means you no longer have to guess or look at your graph and scratch your head asking "When will I dream?" It will actually know the onset of the transition phase, and will be able to predict the onset of the next transition phase!

Shadow,

I don't have an iPod touch, and don't even have the option to test for it in the simulator. Maybe it's the same as iPhone. I don't know. My deployment target is an iPhone4, and I know it runs on iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0.

Ev
      I present to you detection algorithm 2. Note the almost perfect alignment between the supposed biological clock (blue sine wave) and the sleep cycles #2,3 and 4

tommo likes this.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Tagger Second Class 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Lost in the World
      DJ Entries
      Ev, really....amazing.

I'm not the first one to say this but you should get some cash for bringing up clients, because you will be making apple earn LOADS of it since loads of people gonna buy iphone 4 just because of you
      tommo likes this.
      Quote Originally Posted by nito89 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by zoth00 View Post
      You have to face lucid dreams as cooking:
      Stick it in the microwave and hope for the best?
      MMR (Mental Map Recall)- A whole new way of Recalling and Journaling your dreams
      Trying out MILD? This is how you become skilled at it.

Melbourne
      DJ Entries
      What do you think the release date will be Ev?

Member Achievements:

Hope you can give android some of that lovin' ... being a student doesn't give me the money for an iPhone 4!

Melbourne
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by berryman13 View Post
      Hope you can give android some of that lovin' ... being a student doesn't give me the money for an iPhone 4!
      iPhone 4's have gone down in price since the 4S came out.
      I'm looking at this site for Australia now which sells unlocked phones pretty cheap.
      And they will definitely go down for Christmas.
      Also, as someone else said the iPod touch should work. $220 in Apple store is the cheapest.
      It's exactly the same but without a phone component.
      Last edited by tommo; 10-21-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Member Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by tommo View Post
      iPhone 4's have gone down in price since the 4S came out.
      I'm looking at this site for Australia now which sells unlocked phones pretty cheap.
      And they will definitely go down for Christmas.
      Also, as someone else said the iPod touch should work. $220 in Apple store is the cheapest.
      It's exactly the same but without a phone component.
      Well ya don't say...looks like I could get a touch 4G for $150 on craigslist. I might as well do that!

Still, android love would definitely broaden the potential profit of this app, also I'd assume it'd be easier to publish...I'd love to see his own proprietary device made *just* for doing this coming out, that'd be sweet.
      Last edited by berryman13; 10-21-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Ev
      I just ordered an iPod 4th generation on amazon. I was working with one before, and it indeed is very much like an iPhone without phone. It has a smaller form factor, and will require a different mount.

if you have an iPod, can you tell me if you can run this app? Bio2Real Time for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation) and iPad on the iTunes App Store it uses the same development settings as the lucid dreaming app.

As for the release date, I'm aiming at 11112011 or 11102011 in honor of the Android app

Member Achievements:

So I have 3 things to keep an eye on for 11/11/11 -- Elder Scrolls V and Saints Row 3.

Ev
      That's my concern, the release may be overwhelmed by other major titles, but if the app makes history, that would be a good date to remember

Melbourne
      DJ Entries
      And a big RC moment looking at the calendar

Wow, so really only about 3 weeks away?

YAY!!!! And right near my birthday too!

The First Lightbender Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Quote Originally Posted by Ev View Post
      As for the release date, I'm aiming at 11112011 or 11102011 in honor of the Android app
      Too cool!

Ev
      It's frigging 425 in the morning, and I'm mad at myself for having a bug in the app. The "cooldown timer" was set to 0, causing the app to go off indefinitely while in a dream. That would be a good smart alarm feature, but NOT conductive for lucid dreaming.
      The app works. Definitively.

I've seen what the "slow", sleep cycle 1 dream is like. It wasn't very much like a dream, but more like a very deep thought. The reminder fired 15 seconds after the dream onset. I've seen the very beginning of sleep cycle 2 dream onset. This is where the story in my head has enveloped me. The reminder got played after 30 seconds and just would not shut up! It got integrated into the content of my dream as a thought about my past job before becoming too powerful to completely wake me up and frustrate me enough to go and re-write some code.
      tommo likes this.

LD Count
      Texas
      DJ Entries
      This is awesome! Who cares if the app costs a few bucks? Give up a latte or a hamburger for Christ's sake! And the wristband is needed to make it work. Given that most everything else out there costs upwards of a couple hundred dollars, this is VERY affordable. And if it works, it will be well worth it!
      tommo likes this.

LD Count
      Ok so finally worked out that my ipod is infact 4th gen, lol hurray, anywho.. cant download bio2realtime at the moment (havnt updated to iOS 5 yet) is this one of your programs also?
      I thought you might say that about the wristband, seeing as its smaller than the iphone.. will you be making it to accomodate for this, or a whole other wristband, just for ipods?

ShadowBlade Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Gold 5000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      69 Teehee
      New Zealand
      DJ Entries
      WOW! This is absolutely amazing! If I had an iPhone I would buy this! Haha.
      I don't really understand though. Does the wristband have some sort of detector or what-not in it, which plugs into the iPhone and feeds it data?

Great work Ev!
      DILD's: 54 | WILD's: 1 | DEILD's: 6

Max LD's in one night: 4

"Life is 10% what happens to me 90% how I react to it." - John C. Maxwell

"We are often find uncertainty more unpleasant
      than unpleasant certainty - at least if we look, we know."

"Failing to act, for fear of the risk,
      is no different than a living death."

Ev
      I don't know about the ipod wristband yet. Once I get mine, I'll be able to test. it has a unique form factor- the curvy edges means that it may have a pretty snug fit. I did some testing at a local Walmart today, and found out that probably 98% of all "armbands" out there would not be very good for the purposes of lucid dreaming, because they are made for larger circumference biceps, and cannot even be locked in place at the wrist. Plus, the contact with the body is pretty bad. Too bad I already ordered one of these from amazon for 15 $ for testing. Maybe it can be altered.

Yes, Bio2Real Time is an "introduction" into the concept of sleep cycles and sleep phase. I will publish an update soon, as there are a couple serious bugs in the current version on the market.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast