• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12
    Results 276 to 296 of 296
    Like Tree59Likes

    Thread: Fear of death - A rational fear?

    1. #276
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2004
      Posts
      5,165
      Likes
      708
      Quote Originally Posted by Phion View Post
      I suppose I'd rather live a life without fear on a 'definite' timeline, than live with fear infinitely into the future on the backdrop of eternity.
      Why is that? Most people cope with the fear of death all the time, with little issues. The only times it really bothers most people is when others die and it reminds us of death but also we lose important people in our life. If everyone lived forever you wouldn't have that reminder and no heart break from losing you good friends and family. So even if that fear is there it is only minor.

      Also what is this all happy vs long? That is two separate issues, you can be happy and long lived.

    2. #277
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      348
      Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
      Why is that? Most people cope with the fear of death all the time, with little issues. The only times it really bothers most people is when others die and it reminds us of death but also we lose important people in our life. If everyone lived forever you wouldn't have that reminder and no heart break from losing you good friends and family. So even if that fear is there it is only minor.

      Also what is this all happy vs long? That is two separate issues, you can be happy and long lived.
      I'm not debating that, but the immortality of a mode of consciousness and my staying alive in physical form until the universe burns out are two separate ideas to address, sure. Feeling happy is as transient as feeling fear, although if I were aware, hypothetically speaking, about how the physical universe which I occupy was going to end and knew that I would be there to witness it does not necessitate any reason for me wanting to be there. So you're right, I can lead a self-fulfilled life void of fear and be plenty happy, but the world is not always that way. People die in freak accidents, wars, disease, etc., not all of which are predictable. So, basically, if I had a philosophical choice to be predominantly happy and content instead of fearful with the time my physical form is allotted, I would choose the former without hesitation every time.

    3. #278
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      I'm no longer talking about life as a whole.

      I'm talking about your favorite drinking cup. When a buddhist monk was asked why he was so attached to his drinking cup when he taught non-attachment, he replied, "Well I like the way the light refracts and forms rainbows on the glass, I like the way its shaped, and I know it's already broken"

      What is the next stage of your drinking cup, after now? Broken glass. In that sense, the drinking cup you love so much is already broken. (if you don't have a favorite drinking cup then replace this metaphor with something else)

      So what is the purpose of seeing something as its next possible change? It makes their current form more appreciable. It makes you less likely to take it for granted.

      In this sense if you live as a dead man, not actively pursuing death but at peace with your next (perhaps last) big change, surrendered to the fact that it could happen at any moment, even now, life becomes more savorable. Everything becomes truly a gift.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    4. #279
      Deuteragonist Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Wolfwood's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      LD Count
      >50, <150
      Gender
      Location
      Sussex
      Posts
      2,337
      Likes
      3339
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnis Dei View Post
      I'm no longer talking about life as a whole.

      I'm talking about your favorite drinking cup. When a buddhist monk was asked why he was so attached to his drinking cup when he taught non-attachment, he replied, "Well I like the way the light refracts and forms rainbows on the glass, I like the way its shaped, and I know it's already broken"

      What is the next stage of your drinking cup, after now? Broken glass. In that sense, the drinking cup you love so much is already broken. (if you don't have a favorite drinking cup then replace this metaphor with something else)

      So what is the purpose of seeing something as its next possible change? It makes their current form more appreciable. It makes you less likely to take it for granted.

      In this sense if you live as a dead man, not actively pursuing death but at peace with your next (perhaps last) big change, surrendered to the fact that it could happen at any moment, even now, life becomes more savorable. Everything becomes truly a gift.
      Metamorphosis - from a caterpillar to a butterfly, perhaps. No beautiful and free butterfly without the limited, grim caterpillar.

      Who looks outside, dreams;
      who looks inside, awakes.

      - Carl Jung

    5. #280
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2004
      Posts
      5,165
      Likes
      708
      That isn't really a choice you need to make though. You can say to yourself, "You know there is a good chance I may die some time, but I am going to try my best to live forever." You can have any of those view you listed or any other views you want. None of those effect the choice to live forever.

      What we are really talking about is something like, you are given a choice to take medicine and be healthy or die, and you pick die. That choice I don't understand at all. Nor do I understand the idea that you would prefer to have your family members die compared to having them live.

    6. #281
      Dreaming Shaman ZeraCook's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      LD Count
      21
      Gender
      Location
      Montana
      Posts
      796
      Likes
      813
      DJ Entries
      26
      Quote Originally Posted by Alric View Post
      That isn't really a choice you need to make though. You can say to yourself, "You know there is a good chance I may die some time, but I am going to try my best to live forever." You can have any of those view you listed or any other views you want. None of those effect the choice to live forever.

      What we are really talking about is something like, you are given a choice to take medicine and be healthy or die, and you pick die. That choice I don't understand at all. Nor do I understand the idea that you would prefer to have your family members die compared to having them live.
      No your making it sound like something accidental has happened to you, instead of Increasing your lifespan by a vast amount, like hundreds of years.


      " I couldn't stand her at first, But then I loved her so bad It Hurt "

    7. #282
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Aren't we all just looking for something to hold onto? Some dream of a better life, the life we imagine we'll have once we get all the stuff we want to have it. Some dream... some refuge to sink our teeth into. Some piece of warmth to guide us. If we surrender, we of course do not stop seeking the warmth. It is our nature. And we follow our nature. But of course, we won't always have that refuge. It's place is temporary, and soon we will embark on a journey into the unknown. But we don't have to fight the unknown when it comes. We don't have to cope with it by labeling what it is and depositing it away as another known thing. We can surrender to it. And that's all you're doing. You're not stating you would not take medicine to keep you healthier. Of course you would, it is your nature to be healthy. You don't have the smash the glass because of course all things are made to be broken and therefore let's just smash them up now and save ourselves the trouble of losing it.

      When you see something you want but you know it won't really make you happy, you don't have to shun away the amazing feeling you get from wanting that thing. You don't have to remove every refuge and go off into the woods now and have a spirit journey just because those things cause anguish. The things are not the problem. And being alive is not the problem. And thinking a human life is very special and valuable, that's not the problem either. The problem is the attitude, and having a bad attitude won't kill you. When a worm caught in shit says its perfectly fine being in shit, it has all it needs... there's nothing wrong with that. And how could it possibly know the sunshine rests just outside? But I'm telling you, it's there. If you surrender to it, you can have peace right now. And be willing to die right now. Not because life is worthless, and because it's worthless there's no reason to do it. Not because of that, but because it's so much easier to be alive when you're not adding on this extra weight.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    8. #283
      I am become fish pear Abra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Location
      Doncha Know, Murka
      Posts
      3,816
      Likes
      540
      DJ Entries
      17
      It seems like the discussion here is whether it is wrong or right for everyone to die, or to be immortal.

      Why shouldn't time of death be a personal choice?
      Abraxas

      Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

    9. #284
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      348
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      Why shouldn't time of death be a personal choice?
      You do have a choice.

    10. #285
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      It seems like the discussion here is whether it is wrong or right for everyone to die, or to be immortal.

      Why shouldn't time of death be a personal choice?
      The same reason you can't choose when you'll lose your favorite backpack. Life is uncertain.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    11. #286
      I am become fish pear Abra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Location
      Doncha Know, Murka
      Posts
      3,816
      Likes
      540
      DJ Entries
      17
      Just because we currently can't choose our time of death (as well as choosing to extend it as long as we wish), doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to.

      And that choice should be personal.
      Abraxas

      Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

    12. #287
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Uncertainty is the only law. Nothing ever works out 100% as you expect it. We don't even know for certain if the sun will rise tomorrow. You can either embrace the uncertainty or not.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    13. #288
      Member Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class

      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      708
      Likes
      348
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      And that choice should be personal.
      There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy. All the rest – whether or not the world has three dimensions, whether the mind has nine or twelve categories – comes afterwards. These are games; one must first answer [the questions of suicide].
      The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus
      Wolfwood likes this.

    14. #289
      Member
      Join Date
      May 2012
      Gender
      Posts
      229
      Likes
      19
      Till the point where your house is on fire and your heart is racing as you need to find an exit it is.
      Till the point which you are hungry for days and you need to find something to eat it is.
      Past that point and you can observe the simple thing.
      Womens full of plastic surguries in order to stay pretty
      people who suppress themselves when the hearing about earthquakes or disasters,
      people on depression and apathy.
      And that happens because of the human effort to try and brake the limitations of time,avoiding the thought of the inevitable,
      the fact that as part of nature everybody owns a death.
      And that point is Only pure HYSTERIA.
      ZeraCook likes this.

    15. #290
      Deuteragonist Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Wolfwood's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      LD Count
      >50, <150
      Gender
      Location
      Sussex
      Posts
      2,337
      Likes
      3339
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      Just because we currently can't choose our time of death (as well as choosing to extend it as long as we wish), doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to.

      And that choice should be personal.
      I do believe we should be able to choose when to die. That is, of course, if we are to make it to the specified date without any freak accidents etc. To say we must live no matter what is, to me, equal to saying you must die no matter what - there should be choice.

      Who looks outside, dreams;
      who looks inside, awakes.

      - Carl Jung

    16. #291
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      You do have choice, and I'm content with the amount of choice I have. I choose to live longer, so I choose to each my vegetables and exercise.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    17. #292
      Deuteragonist Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class
      Wolfwood's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2010
      LD Count
      >50, <150
      Gender
      Location
      Sussex
      Posts
      2,337
      Likes
      3339
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnis Dei View Post
      You do have choice, and I'm content with the amount of choice I have. I choose to live longer, so I choose to each my vegetables and exercise.
      That's not the same. Living longer by those means is then a highly uncertain epiphenomenon of intending to live healthily. And there's only so far that can go.

      I'm assuming we're referring to a clear-cut choice here. If you wish to die, sooner....it would not imply that you smoke and eat unhealthily for years in hope (too much uncertainty - ergo, less choice). It would imply that you put a gun to your head and do it. Choosing to live longer then would necessitate a clear, certain option like the gun. Say, taking a pill that would extend your life by 75yrs on average (all other things being equal) by dilation of the aging process. So two years = one year. (Obviously this is disregarding freak accidents/disease etc).

      Would you take the pill?
      Last edited by Wolfwood; 06-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.
      Phion likes this.

      Who looks outside, dreams;
      who looks inside, awakes.

      - Carl Jung

    18. #293
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Good question. It's rumored many ancient societies lived as long as 150 before they chose to wander off and die by doing a particular meditation which would shut down their organs. I don't see anything particularly wrong with living to 150 but I have an inert reaction against kicking the pebble down the road. I wouldn't pursue death, but I wouldn't pursue life, either. I mean I honestly do see life as rolling a boulder up a hill. When its time to buckle under the boulder's weight, it's time. That doesn't mean I think life is just a work-camp of suffering. I believe that on a very specific level, but in large I think life is a very enoyable experience. And I know from experience I hate leaving the party. The party is so much fun... you rarely see me leave before it's over. But eventually it's over, and it's time to move on. I fear if I took the pill once, and I assume it kept my body comfortably livable as well, I would want to take it again and again and again. But eventually, it's time to just move on.
      ZeraCook likes this.

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    19. #294
      I am become fish pear Abra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Location
      Doncha Know, Murka
      Posts
      3,816
      Likes
      540
      DJ Entries
      17
      Quote Originally Posted by Omnis Dei View Post
      I fear if I took the pill once, and I assume it kept my body comfortably livable as well, I would want to take it again and again and again. But eventually, it's time to just move on.
      I'd be a fucking pill addict. I'd live to see Andromeda collide with the Milky Way, treat myself to glorious evenings under a grand blossoming of cosmos, I would live among its progression. I would watch and familiarize myself with a plethora of species, I'd watch them evolve. Perhaps I would aid in the domestication or advance of a few which I admire. I would travel the earth and simulations of past earths; I'd be the babelfish, I'd be a walking library. Voracious, I would travel to distant stars and exchange information about the development of earth at a valuable price: equivalent information on their own planet. I would keep in contact with all of my friends.

      That's what I'd do.
      Abraxas

      Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

    20. #295
      Dreaming Shaman ZeraCook's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2012
      LD Count
      21
      Gender
      Location
      Montana
      Posts
      796
      Likes
      813
      DJ Entries
      26
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      I'd be a fucking pill addict. I'd live to see Andromeda collide with the Milky Way, treat myself to glorious evenings under a grand blossoming of cosmos, I would live among its progression. I would watch and familiarize myself with a plethora of species, I'd watch them evolve. Perhaps I would aid in the domestication or advance of a few which I admire. I would travel the earth and simulations of past earths; I'd be the babelfish, I'd be a walking library. Voracious, I would travel to distant stars and exchange information about the development of earth at a valuable price: equivalent information on their own planet.
      .
      I would do all these If I and I alone were allowed to. I wouldn't find it as interesting if everyone became walking libraries.

      Maybe that makes me greedy, which I normally am not as a person, but It would take out the fun for me if everyone was doing it.


      " I couldn't stand her at first, But then I loved her so bad It Hurt "

    21. #296
      D.V. Editor-in-Chief Original Poster's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      LD Count
      Lucid Now
      Gender
      Location
      3D
      Posts
      8,263
      Likes
      4135
      DJ Entries
      11
      Quote Originally Posted by Abra View Post
      I'd be a fucking pill addict. I'd live to see Andromeda collide with the Milky Way, treat myself to glorious evenings under a grand blossoming of cosmos, I would live among its progression. I would watch and familiarize myself with a plethora of species, I'd watch them evolve. Perhaps I would aid in the domestication or advance of a few which I admire. I would travel the earth and simulations of past earths; I'd be the babelfish, I'd be a walking library. Voracious, I would travel to distant stars and exchange information about the development of earth at a valuable price: equivalent information on their own planet. I would keep in contact with all of my friends.

      That's what I'd do.
      I find it interesting that you utilize the word addict while talking about something related to choice

      Everything works out in the end, sometimes even badly.


    Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

    Similar Threads

    1. Fear of death...GONE!!!!!
      By wer in forum Beyond Dreaming
      Replies: 48
      Last Post: 08-18-2014, 09:02 AM
    2. A Fear of Death
      By sleepingto-dream in forum Nightmares and Recurring Dreams
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 12-05-2010, 04:52 AM
    3. Can FEAR be a dream sign???? Many of my dreams are about fear
      By giogoMoget2 in forum Dream Signs and Recall
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: 11-26-2010, 04:05 AM
    4. Lucidity and Fear of Death
      By Aidrocsid in forum Lucid Experiences
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: 01-27-2010, 01:08 AM
    5. Fear Of Death
      By becomingagodo in forum Philosophy
      Replies: 47
      Last Post: 01-30-2007, 10:25 AM

    Tags for this Thread

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •