• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 65
    Like Tree16Likes

    Thread: What happens if you woke up and knew everything?

    1. #1
      Member
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Gender
      Posts
      71
      Likes
      2

      What happens if you woke up and knew everything?

      What would happen to you if one morning, you woke up and knew everything? And I do mean every thought, idea, memory, language, person, dream, ability everything you could think about. Just everything about everything and everyone in existence, what would you do?

      And what would you believe your life be like if something like this happened to you?

    2. #2
      not so sure.. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      dajo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      LD Count
      ca 25
      Gender
      Location
      Phnom Penh
      Posts
      1,465
      Likes
      178
      what would you do?
      Enjoy the flashback

      And what would you believe your life be like if something like this happened to you?
      Do you mean if this was a constant state? Then I don't think
      it would be possible to function, let alone survive for very long.
      If I would go back to "normal", I don't think it would change
      really all that much, since it would not be possible to still know
      everything once back into everyday consciousness.

      I'd say I would start seeking inside myself and getting into meditation
      and all sorts of things, but I already do that anyway, so yea, no big changes.

    3. #3
      Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Motumz's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2009
      Gender
      Location
      Somewhere and Nowhere
      Posts
      589
      Likes
      26
      Trippy thought!
      https://i.ibb.co/307rNzk/motumz3.png

    4. #4
      Member Laughing Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2009
      Gender
      Posts
      836
      Likes
      70
      Quote Originally Posted by AccountableMasses View Post
      What would happen to you if one morning, you woke up and knew everything? And I do mean every thought, idea, memory, language, person, dream, ability everything you could think about. Just everything about everything and everyone in existence, what would you do?

      And what would you believe your life be like if something like this happened to you?
      I'd be pre-determined to be mad that the world is pre-determined.
      'What is war?...In a short sentence it may be summed up to be the combination and concentration of all the horrors, atrocities, crimes, and sufferings of which human nature on this globe is capable' - John Bright

    5. #5
      can haz dv Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Populated Wall Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points
      <span class='glow_FF1493'>Cacophony</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      LD Count
      [Statistic]
      Gender
      Location
      The cupboard under the stairs
      Posts
      902
      Likes
      150
      DJ Entries
      70
      I think only the person who knew everything would be able to answer this.

      "...and we want punks in the palace, 'cos punks got the loveliest dreams..." - A Silver Mt. Zion
      It was the best of times. It was the end of times.

    6. #6
      Eat,Sleep,Breathe MUSIC
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Deeply immersed in the present moment
      Posts
      1,450
      Likes
      137
      Go to the nearest store and play the lottery.
      <Link Removed> - My website/tumblelog

      “The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein

    7. #7
      Miss Sixy <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Gender
      Location
      Seiren
      Posts
      5,003
      Likes
      1408
      DJ Entries
      82
      I would go insane. Absolutely stark-raving mad. Stone cold fuck nuts. Lunacy cubed. The sheer intake of that kind of knowledge would probably annihilate any sense of reason, and my perception of reality would fall to shambles.

      If I managed to retain any strand of rational thought whatsoever, I would probably end up spending the rest of my life in therapy, trying to forget about all the evil and hatred out there.
      Foggy likes this.

      Click the sig for my Dream Journal
      444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

    8. #8
      Dreamah in ReHaB AirRick101's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Los Altos, CA
      Posts
      1,622
      Likes
      22
      pat myself on the back for being such a good student
      naturals are what we call people who did all the right things accidentally

    9. #9
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Pretty normal day for me.

    10. #10
      Banned
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      4,571
      Likes
      1070
      Well I reckon you wouldn't be human anymore. How can you say there would be "no big changes"? That's a bit silly.

    11. #11
      Be a man of Value. Jorge's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Pico Rivera
      Posts
      529
      Likes
      22
      I would build a ship to fly to outerspace with infinite amounts of fuel because I can turn anything into energy for whatever I needed and EXPLORE! Like Dora.

    12. #12
      Banned
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      Gender
      Posts
      4,571
      Likes
      1070
      But isn't the fun of exploration going to new places and seeing new things? What meaning would "explore" or "new" have to someone who knows everywhere and everything?

    13. #13
      Antagonist Invader's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2004
      Location
      Discordia
      Posts
      3,239
      Likes
      533
      I would no longer be myself.
      I cannot answer a question for someone else.

    14. #14
      I am become fish pear Abra's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2007
      Location
      Doncha Know, Murka
      Posts
      3,816
      Likes
      540
      DJ Entries
      17
      Quote Originally Posted by AccountableMasses View Post
      What would happen to you if one morning, you woke up and knew everything? And I do mean every thought, idea, memory, language, person, dream, ability everything you could think about. Just everything about everything and everyone in existence, what would you do?

      And what would you believe your life be like if something like this happened to you?

      I have no idea. I don't even know what "knowing everything" would usefully even mean. And neither does anyone else.
      Abraxas

      Quote Originally Posted by OldSparta
      I murdered someone, there was bloody everywhere. On the walls, on my hands. The air smelled metallic, like iron. My mouth... tasted metallic, like iron. The floor was metallic, probably iron

    15. #15
      Banned
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      LD Count
      im here for you
      Location
      australia
      Posts
      3,677
      Likes
      415
      I would start writing.

    16. #16
      Be a man of Value. Jorge's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Gender
      Location
      Pico Rivera
      Posts
      529
      Likes
      22
      ^^^

      The above comments made me realize I knew what I wanted to know! lol

      It's a strange thinking process when you don't actually know everything. However, no-Name's input is something I realize I would want to do. I would be the next jesus! lol Share the good news!

    17. #17
      not so sure.. Achievements:
      Made Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      dajo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      LD Count
      ca 25
      Gender
      Location
      Phnom Penh
      Posts
      1,465
      Likes
      178
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
      Well I reckon you wouldn't be human anymore. How can you say there would be "no big changes"? That's a bit silly.
      Well, you didn't read right. My point was that you could only momentarily
      even know 'everything', whatever that means, because you could not
      survive for very long. So basically you would be back to normal later
      and would just have the memory of knowing everything, and no more
      even the capacity to even comprehend what that meant at that time.

      It would change the life in subtle ways, but you would just not be able
      to recall, comprehend or even tell someone about what you have experienced.
      So basically, I don't think it would change even that much - in the sense
      of 'less than you'd think'. I don't think it's silly, but just an assumption.

    18. #18
      bleak... nerve's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2003
      LD Count
      a lot
      Gender
      Location
      inside you
      Posts
      5,229
      Likes
      100
      I've had this argument before and no one seems to get my answer...

      it isn't possible for all information to exist in a single point.

      let's say for the sake of argument, you woke up tomorrow and knew absolutely everything. the way I see it, you would (hypothetically, since this is completely impossible) essentially become something like a black hole, suck all of the universe into you, and then nothing would exist.

      do you get it or would you like me to elaborate?


      Ignorant bliss is an oxymoron; but so is miserable truth.

    19. #19
      Xei
      UnitedKingdom Xei is offline
      Banned
      Join Date
      Aug 2005
      Posts
      9,984
      Likes
      3082
      Your brain isn't a 'single point'. :l

      We know a finite number of things. Presumably there are only a finite number of other things to know, so it's just an extension of the same situation.

      Although my assertion there are only a finite number of facts is patently untrue. There are an uncountably infinite number of facts. Knowing all of the prime numbers is an infinite subset of this infinite set.

      However, such a thing seems trivial. Can we restrict 'facts' to interesting facts which are actually about understanding; for example, understanding what a prime number is, why there are infinitely many, how to find them, how they are distributed, etcetera. A better question would be 'what happens if you wake up and understand everything'.

      An interesting question though: is it actually possible for a conscious system to know everything? I tried reducing the problem down to an extremely simple universe where there simply exists only an algorithm capable of thinking. Can this algorithm understand itself, including how it thinks?

      I'll have to mull that potent question over. Perhaps Godel has something to do with it.

    20. #20
      Expert LDer Affirmation! DeeryTheDeer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2008
      Gender
      Posts
      1,556
      Likes
      1010
      I guess I would stop learning and start doing, unless all the knowledge in the universe revealed to me that I don't need to do anything or even live at all.
      DILDs: A Lot

    21. #21
      Banned
      Join Date
      Feb 2010
      Posts
      29
      Likes
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by AccountableMasses View Post
      What would happen to you if one morning, you woke up and knew everything? And I do mean every thought, idea, memory, language, person, dream, ability everything you could think about. Just everything about everything and everyone in existence, what would you do?

      And what would you believe your life be like if something like this happened to you?
      pretty sure i would first solve world hunger then initainate socialism in every country becuase with knowledge is power and with power is responzabiity so you gotta take on the responsebablity of this gift you have obatained in order do so in a direct manner one must be a polotician because they rule the country hopefully with mass amounts of knowlege and power you can rule all counties and have a 1 world gov where you can help everyone and everyone can be happy doing things they lvoe becuase its a socialist world and everything gets recycled nothing is wasted

    22. #22
      Miss Sixy <span class='glow_FFFFFF'>Maria92</span>'s Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      LD Count
      Mortal Mist
      Gender
      Location
      Seiren
      Posts
      5,003
      Likes
      1408
      DJ Entries
      82
      Quote Originally Posted by SupremeUltimateSuperMega View Post
      pretty sure i would first solve world hunger then initainate socialism in every country becuase with knowledge is power and with power is responzabiity so you gotta take on the responsebablity of this gift you have obatained in order do so in a direct manner one must be a polotician because they rule the country hopefully with mass amounts of knowlege and power you can rule all counties and have a 1 world gov where you can help everyone and everyone can be happy doing things they lvoe becuase its a socialist world and everything gets recycled nothing is wasted
      Holy Christ. What kind of post is this? Punctuation is your friend, mate.

      Well, given the fact that you know/understand everything, would it not be possible that there is an even more effective means of governing than socialism? If you're talking about bettering the world, I would use the bit of info that tells me how to singlehandedly stop global climate change and develop green technologies.

      But, I'm completely insane, so there goes my idea...

      Click the sig for my Dream Journal
      444 Dreams Recalled
      13 Lucid Dreams

    23. #23
      Xox
      USA Xox is offline
      Momentum Xox's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Gender
      Location
      cloudless climes
      Posts
      4,770
      Likes
      330
      DJ Entries
      13
      Probably commit suicide.

    24. #24
      Legend Jeff777's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      LD Count
      Over 9,000
      Gender
      Posts
      8,052
      Likes
      1511
      What would I do if I woke up with the knowledge of an omniscient god?

      I imagine I would be a lot like Dr. Manhattan from Watchmen. Gradually, I would start losing my touch with humanity whilst trying to use my knowledge to save it.
      Things are not as they seem

    25. #25
      Member Lucky27's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2004
      Gender
      Location
      Planet
      Posts
      388
      Likes
      2
      If I woke up one morning knowing everything? I think in order to know everything, I would have to be everything; therefore, "existing" everywhere and everywhen simultaneously. I'd probably be stretched so thin as to be undetectable by anything in this dimension.
      Last edited by Lucky27; 02-26-2010 at 11:19 AM.

    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •