• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Inception totem

thinker...Dreamer...geek zeldafreak's Avatar
      LD Count
      DJ Entries

Lightbulb Inception totem

In the movie Inception the characters have "totems" that they use to see if their dreaming because that act differently in a dream

A top that never stops spinning or loaded dice are two of the totems in the movie

what would you have as a totem and how would it act in a dream? Do you think this could be a new form of reality checking?
      Lucid goals
      Fly [ ] Run very fast [ ] destroy death star [ ] hover board [ ] super powers [ ] become lucid and stay so for longer than 5 secounds [X]

Shhh... I'm dreaming. exdreamer's Avatar
      United Kingdom
      DJ Entries
      I haven't seen the movie yet, but what you describe just sounds like dream signs.

LD Count
      Totems only worked in the movie when they entered someone's else's dream.

Having a totem like the top defeats the purpose of knowing if you're awake or asleep in your own dreams because your subconscious will make the top fall even when you're sleeping.

Lucid Moments: 2 Lucid Dreams: 1

Lucid Goals: [X] Get my first LD [ ] Be a superhero [ ] Jump into a comic book [] Survive a Zombie Apocalypse

LD Count
      Illinois
      DJ Entries
      It works in the film because they are entering other peoples dreams. And other people won't understand how other totems work. It's a cool idea but I don't think it'd apply in real life. Because your subconscious would understand how your totem work and that would render it unreliable.
      As children we believe anything is possible. As adults, we need to remember it.

Dream Walker
      United Kingdom
      It could work, but the opposite way.

Take something that you haven't a clue how it works. Then when dreaming and it's there, see if it starts working. You know dreams have a funny way of doing things like that.

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      but if you think it will work ex. not stop spinning wont it do as you think it will
      Don't take the laws from the movie word for word, take them then expand on their idea
      Lucid goals
      Fly [ ] Run very fast [ ] destroy death star [ ] hover board [ ] super powers [ ] become lucid and stay so for longer than 5 secounds [X]

San Antonio, TX
      DJ Entries
      I think a totem could work if you use it as a reality check

In this case you need a totem that has enough details for you to double check. Every time you stare/touch your totem you should as though you were examining it for the first time. It should be small enough for you to carry with you. Or, you could just use your totem when you're sleeping to help you with false awakenings. In that case you'd have to thoroughly examine your totem before you sleep and every time you wake up.

Don't expect your totem to magically work different in a dream, just use it as a tool to reality check.

I loved the film and definately think a totem could work. I've made an origami crane out of a bit of magazine page and then weighted the body and the wings of it with coins placed inside the folds. Hopefully through holding it and observing it enough in waking life, i'll look for it in a dream. As soon as i notice that the writing on its changed or its weight is altered that should take me into a lucid state, i think these could make good reality checks as long you observe its behaviour enough, i think the writing on it will help because this often changes from one moment to another in a dream. I only made it yesterday but i'll hopefully look for it in a dream and see results.
      Its a cool concept and a brilliant film!

Lucid Dream Enthusiast novellucidity5's Avatar
      USA
      I think it actually (almost) worked for me last night. Ever since I saw Inception, I've been carrying around this small rock with RC (Reality Check) carved into one side and GC (my initials) carved into the other. I can't remember it that well, but I do remember pulling the rock out of my pocket and looking at it in a dream last night. However... whether or not I actually gained lucidity I can't remember.

Member Achievements:
      1 year registered 1000 Hall Points Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class
      DJ Entries
      I placed a penny below my pillow last night while falling asleep and told myself that I would dream about the penny and realize I was dreaming. In my dream, I met a guy and a girl who told me they dreamed that I had put a penny under my pillow. I remember thinking how funny it was that other people dreamed about the penny instead of me. I failed to realize I was dreaming.
      All that we see or seem
      Is but a dream within a dream. ~Edgar Allen Poe

Dreaming is an act of pure imagination, attesting in all men a creative power, which if it were available in waking, would make every man a Dante or Shakespeare. ~H.F. Hedge

DJ Entries
      I used to wear blue rubber bands around my wrist all the time. As my "totem" they worked pretty good, because if I was dreaming, I would look at my wrists and they wouldn't be there.

LD Count
      South Africa
      DJ Entries
      People use digital watches like that, I heard of someone only starting to wear a digital watch so that he could use it as a RC.
      DILD = 4 DEILD = 1 FILD = 1
      Basic TOTM = 1 Advanced TOTM = 0
      Dreams Recalled since joining = 57

Goals:
      Have a LD [X] Have a really clear LD [ ] Fly [ ] Fly into a black-hole [ ] See the big bang [ ] See God create light [ ] Be in an episode of Big Bang Theory [ ]

So I saw something today at It's Your Move that I went ahead and bought because it might actually work as a reality check. It's these buzzing magnet things that are basically two pill-like metal ovals with magnets inside that always line up the same way no matter how you try to spin or position them, and when they meet while you are holding them they make a very distinct sound but when they meet on a surface without being held they make a completely different but very distinct sound. I figure something that behaves so "magically" but also so consistently in so many different ways and something that is heavy-enough to always be felt in a pocket (constantly aware of it's presence or lack thereof) but completely innocuous and portable might the be the best tool see if things are behaving strangely. I figure that basic idea behind a reality check is that you are trying to catch your brain getting something wrong so you can catch it dreaming, and this would provide more opportunities for that. Really like the totem.

Bird Brain Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Populated Wall 10000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Vivid Dream Journal
      LD Count
      Lost count.
      DJ Entries
      Yes, but you won't always have the totem on you; it's just the nature of dreams. As you wear different clothes in dreams and end up in different locations, you won't always have the same items on you. You'd have to summon it like a DC or pull it from a pocket, which can be difficult for beginners at dream control. A simple nose-plug or finger-count reality check is twice as effective.
      We all live in a kind of continuous dream. When we wake, it is because something,
      some event, some pinprick even, disturbs the edges of what we have taken as reality.

Vandermeer

SAT (Sporadic Awareness Technique) Guide
      Have questions about lucid dreaming? DM me.

Canada, Quebec
      Your mind could trick you too well with a totem...
      You would always wake up and figure that your totem RC didn't work.
      Find your own RC but be sure to have effective ones.

“Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.”
      LD's: 171 (133 DILD, 2 WILD, 36 DEILD)
      Nights in a row with atleast 1 Lucid Dream: 3
      Most dreams remembered in 1 night: 16
      Dreams recalled: 1308

A "totem" could work. I liked the idea of it when I saw the movie. But of course.... It's going to work nothing like it does in the movie... It just won't. In order for a "totem" to work for us, it would, like everyone else said, have to be a reality check. It needs to be something very specific and something that you see very often.

I have a dice that has my name on it. I used to carry this around and look at it while I did my reality checks. In my dreams, when I saw this die I would begin to examine it. Sometimes it didn't have my name on it. Sometimes it had the wrong numbers on it, wrong color. Anything like that.

If you have something very specific like this. Use it as a reality check. It works great.
      zwishenzug likes this.

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Does anyone have any ideas for what might make a good totem?

LD Count
      Tons
      Bay Area, California
      DJ Entries
      Carrying something around with you to remind you of lucid dreaming is a cool idea. Every time you feel it in your pocket, or see it in your purse, you could reality check. Obviously, it couldn't work exactly like the movie version. It would be cool if it did something mechanical, though. Something like the wristwatch reality check.

Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Right now, I'm thinking of a plain necklace with a something hanging from it. I can't decide what, though...

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States, 106057819434480, Salt Lake City, Utah
      The "Totem" is actually a rather good idea however the way it works in the movie and the way it would actually work in a dream are different. I think the best "totems" are digital watches, watches in general, something that works in reality, but has a very different effect/appearance in a dream.

For instance digital watches will never read the same time twice in a dream or even read out numbers same goes for a watch. Or a piece of paper with something written on which you observe in reality, will not read the same or might not even be eligible. If you choose to go this route you should take these things into consideration.

Lurker
      I made a necklace with a bullet caseing that I carved numbers my name and "READ ME" on the side of, I haven't had it long enough to make it a very effective reality check but I hope later on it might be a little bit helpful

LD Count
      DJ Entries
      I think that the digital watch idea for a totem would work if they were not used so often because it is usually on your wrist you get used to it being in plain sight that is why i think a totem should be something you have in you pocket or maybe since you do not see it as often as a watch, your wallet.
      Lucid goals

Canada, Quebec
      Digital watch is a well known reality check. Time on it will be weird and never the same twice.

“Don't believe what your eyes are telling you. All they show is limitation. Look with your understanding, find out what you already know, and you'll see the way to fly.”
      LD's: 171 (133 DILD, 2 WILD, 36 DEILD)
      Nights in a row with atleast 1 Lucid Dream: 3
      Most dreams remembered in 1 night: 16
      Dreams recalled: 1308

Arizona
      Quote Originally Posted by Robot_Butler View Post
      Carrying something around with you to remind you of lucid dreaming is a cool idea. Every time you feel it in your pocket, or see it in your purse, you could reality check.
      This is exactly what I was thinking. I have a habit of putting my hands in my pockets (which are often empty) a lot - maybe I could put something special in there and reality check whenever I touch it.
      DILD: 9 | WILD: 0
      [x] Chat with a DC [ ] Duel someone [x] Fly [ ] Ride a dragon [ ] Rule the world [ ] Scream really, really loud [ ] Walk on water [x] Eat

The One
      LD Count
      ?
      I haven't been on here in a few years, but after seeing Inception a second time, I was inspired a little bit to get back into exploring my dreams. I've only had 3 LDs, although in one of them I woke up very quickly at the shock of realizing I was dreaming. In another I flew for maybe 5 minutes, and in the last, I had at least two hours of doing random stuff. I tend to remember my dreams fairly often, and recently have been trying to write down the details I can remember clearly just after waking up. My normal dreams range in how vivid they are, and I don't have nightmares too often. I'm still deciding how to start getting into the habit of reality checking, and think I may carry around a small object in my pocket (like the totems in Inception) and RC whenever I touch it.
      LDs Before Joining: 2 (Both by accident without knowing what LDs were)

LDs After Joining: ? (I have had 10+ easily but none this year so far)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast