• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 30
    Like Tree120Likes

    Thread: Lucid dreamers are using unproven tech to hack their sleep

    1. #1
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      DanielLove's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Gender
      Posts
      241
      Likes
      642

      Lucid dreamers are using unproven tech to hack their sleep

      I thought some of you might enjoy the latest article on lucid dream tech in Wired magazine.

      https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lucid-dreaming-tech

      I think it's important that we all do our part to fight the growing misinformation on this topic, If you'd like to join me in doing so, come and get involved here.
      HumbleDreamer likes this.

    2. #2
      Lucid Dreamer Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV Created Dream Journal
      Summerlander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      192
      Likes
      158
      DJ Entries
      4
      Nothing like taking pride in your practice. I love the way I approach the phenomenon which shows to me, time and again, that techniques work and that inducing lucid dreams, unaided by tech, can be easy once you get the hang of it.
      Highlander likes this.
      THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.

    3. #3
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class Vivid Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Highlander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      797
      Likes
      1855
      DJ Entries
      387
      I find the actual article quite interesting on many levels. The majority of what is written is what many of us already know in regard to dubious technology claims and expect as in the resultant introspective escapism during lockdown.

      The Novadreamer was 'state-of-the-art' back in its time, even with its flashing red LEDs. Laberge even promised (a less primitive) version 2, which is yet to see the light of day.

      However, I noticed the Remee got a bit of a kicking; not once, but several times - even to the point where it seemed personal. It should be said (in mitigation) that there are many fakes out there which makes matters even worse. The aforementioned battery safety 'issue' scenario is a totally hypothetical one. It's possible? but unlikely. It's not an electric blanket in an incontinents' bed. (I speak as an engineer - I don't like to use the word 'expert' here. (Perhaps guru might suffice instead.)

      You are more likely to have a problem with your mobile phone and that cheap bootleg charger bought off eBay or Amazon. This is a scenario more likely to cause an explosion or a fire.

      I would be more concerned about Bluetooth devices in sleep tech? Remember eyes and microwaves do not mix!

      I agree where no supplement 'guarantees' lucid dreaming; not even galantamine. (Note however Laberge did try to patent the latter and Yuschak wrote a best seller on the subject).

      It should be pointed out the Remee succeeded because of the slick crowdfunding campaign initially, along with the attention-grabbing 'one liners'. (Note: The film Inception, released two years earlier captured the Zeitgeist back then.)

      These clickbait tactics are still being used today, not only to sell products, but also gain followers, etc. It seems everybody is an 'expert' nowadays, or 'am I just being cynical? (Ok Boomer!)

      I agree that people want 'quick fixes'. It does not help that journalistic online articles, etc. use overly 'sexed-up' language to describe lucid dreaming. For instance "HD", "VR", "The 'Netflix' of Lucid Dreams", ...etc. No wonder the average John (or Jane) Doe expects the same type simulacra type experiences - hence gravitating toward such devices.

      Quote Originally Posted by DanielLove View Post
      I think it's important that we all do our part to fight the growing misinformation on this topic, If you'd like to join me in doing so, come and get involved here.
      I agree there should be community to help point people in the right direction. However, it is not like we just stood here and did nothing when all this 'crap' [tech] started appearing. For example, people like Michael Paul Coder called the makers of Luci out - Remember that one?

      On a personal level I was critical about the iWinks Aurora and the so-called tACS devices - not only on Dreamviews, but elsewhere too.

      My 2 cents.
      Last edited by Highlander; 01-18-2021 at 11:10 PM. Reason: grammar
      "Reject culture..." "Put the Art pedal to the metal!"
      - Terence McKenna

    4. #4
      Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV
      TheUncanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Posts
      678
      Likes
      127
      DJ Entries
      1
      I have a Zmax scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I have optimism for this device, was very impressed with it's technology and talking a bit with Curzio.

      Using JavaScript, I'm planning on piggybacking the devices unmatched ability to detect REM with 40hz Gamma brainwave entrainment (light and audio). Ursula Voss had already had very promising results with transdermal stimulation in this Hertz range, showing 70% of inexperienced participants having lucid dreams.

      https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/...rigger-042342/

      Generally speaking, I wouldn't put it past technology to (eventually) crack the code, we've already accomplished much greater technological feats with common everyday devices.
      Summerlander likes this.

    5. #5
      Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV

      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      2,779
      Likes
      176
      "We're all working together to bring lucid dreaming to a wider audience."

      This actually sounds creepy to me. Like some kind of cult trying to convert the world to their practice. I'm not. So please don't include me in this "we're" trying to bring lucid dreaming to the world thing. I'm not trying to convert the world to anything.

    6. #6
      Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV
      TheUncanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Posts
      678
      Likes
      127
      DJ Entries
      1
      I interpret that statement entirely differently, and really only see it as them trying to make lucid dreaming more accessible.

      While I will admit that there is something appealing about LDing not being a commodity, or so commonplace that there is nothing 'special' about it -- overall, I find the experience just too amazing to, in good conscience, think it should remain something only an exclusive few can do (relatively speaking).


      I'm all for it. People doing more self-discovery, people having a greater sense of wonder and magic in their lives, the general public being more creative and introspective, etc. It all sounds good to me.
      Caradon and Summerlander like this.

    7. #7
      Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV

      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      2,779
      Likes
      176
      Quote Originally Posted by TheUncanny View Post
      I interpret that statement entirely differently, and really only see it as them trying to make lucid dreaming more accessible.

      While I will admit that there is something appealing about LDing not being a commodity, or so commonplace that there is nothing 'special' about it -- overall, I find the experience just too amazing to, in good conscience, think it should remain something only an exclusive few can do (relatively speaking).


      I'm all for it. People doing more self-discovery, people having a greater sense of wonder and magic in their lives, the general public being more creative and introspective, etc. It all sounds good to me.
      I agree people should have that kind of magic and wonder in their life, I'm not saying they shouldn't. I'm saying it's not up to me to be on some mission to try and convince the people of the world that they should. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what dreams are, people are either interested in them or they are not. That's on the individual.

    8. #8
      Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV
      TheUncanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Posts
      678
      Likes
      127
      DJ Entries
      1
      Ah, I see what you mean. Totally agree with that 👍
      Caradon likes this.

    9. #9
      Member Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze 1 year registered 10000 Hall Points 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV

      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Gender
      Posts
      2,779
      Likes
      176
      Quote Originally Posted by TheUncanny View Post
      Ah, I see what you mean. Totally agree with that ��
      Just out of curiosity I simply typed in the word dreams into my Bing search engine. The first thing that came up was an article describing what a lucid dream is... Anyone with even the slightest interest or curiosity about their dreams can do the same thing.
      Last edited by Caradon; 01-19-2021 at 11:40 PM.
      Highlander and Summerlander like this.

    10. #10
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class Vivid Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Highlander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      797
      Likes
      1855
      DJ Entries
      387
      Quote Originally Posted by MoonageDaydream View Post
      Yes, I see that. I was talking about our forum. I'd be more keen to subscribe if he posted here. Right now, it just feels like spam. You know?
      Agreed.

      Quote Originally Posted by MoonageDaydream View Post
      Thing is, it does seem like most of your posts these days (if not all) include a link to subscribe to your channel. As if that's the goal, to get us to subscribe. On my end, it feels like we're a resource of potential subscribers for you to tap, not actual people to get to know. I hope this makes sense.
      This is where the unfollow button comes in handy I find. We are just numbers after all.

      Quote Originally Posted by Caradon View Post
      Just out of curiosity I simply typed in the word dreams into my Bing search engine. The first thing that came up was an article describing what a lucid dream is...
      I get a place that makes beds.
      Caradon and MoonageDaydream like this.
      "Reject culture..." "Put the Art pedal to the metal!"
      - Terence McKenna

    11. #11
      Lucid Natural Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Eonnn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      LD Count
      1000+
      Gender
      Location
      The Aether
      Posts
      850
      Likes
      328
      DJ Entries
      36
      Hate to burst everyone's love bubble, I don't know about validity of the nova dreamer but it's known that the pineal gland detects light through closed eyelids and devices have been made which stimulate it in such a way that it enables the brain to produce DMT. I can't remember the name of that particular device, but people rave on about it a lot because it works and they experience equivalent of ingesting DMT when using it. All this just from some flashing lights over the eyes, sounds crazy but it does in fact work. With this in mind, I see no reason why Nova Dreamer wouldn't work, and as Stephen Laberge described, it works more like a DILD technique in that you need to recognize the light sequence while sleeping for it to induce a lucid dream.

      I would read the article in the link, but unfortunately a warning message pops up asking to accept cookies. And while I do love a good cookie every now and then, when you ingest this one it can scan precise geo-location and obtain your identification from your computer. Thanks, but no thanks.

      Spoiler for warning:
      Last edited by Eonnn; 01-20-2021 at 03:45 PM.
      Caradon, Highlander and michael79 like this.

    12. #12
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class Vivid Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Highlander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      797
      Likes
      1855
      DJ Entries
      387
      Quote Originally Posted by Eonnn View Post
      I can't remember the name of that particular device, ...
      It's a Lucia N°03 Hypnagogic Light.
      Last edited by Highlander; 01-20-2021 at 06:03 PM.
      Eonnn and Summerlander like this.
      "Reject culture..." "Put the Art pedal to the metal!"
      - Terence McKenna

    13. #13
      Achievements:
      1 year registered Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made Friends on DV
      TheUncanny's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2007
      Posts
      678
      Likes
      127
      DJ Entries
      1
      Just got the zMax from Hypnodyne

      Eonnn, Caradon, Highlander and 1 others like this.

    14. #14
      Lucid Natural Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Eonnn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      LD Count
      1000+
      Gender
      Location
      The Aether
      Posts
      850
      Likes
      328
      DJ Entries
      36
      Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
      It's a Lucia N°03 Hypnagogic Light.
      I can't remember, might have been it not sure. My mate showed me one time, would have to ask him again.
      Highlander and Summerlander like this.

    15. #15
      Lucid Natural Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Eonnn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      LD Count
      1000+
      Gender
      Location
      The Aether
      Posts
      850
      Likes
      328
      DJ Entries
      36
      Quote Originally Posted by DanielLove View Post
      I'm not sure anyone's bubble would be burst with such an astounding display of lack of scientific understanding. It appears you've been spending a little too much time on pseudo-science and conspiracy websites
      Quite the contrary my friend, if anything not enough time! and you need to spend more time on them! Just because you fail to see it and have an open mind doesn't make it unreal, only those with eyes to see will see it. We have 2 for vision, and one to see.

      Just because science hasn't advanced enough to understand it yet, doesn't make it untrue. Can't base entire life on science when science doesn't even fully understand consciousness or our place in reality and how it works. Many great scientists like Einstein and Tesla, believed in more than just science, there are many quotes from both of them which go beyond science into a more philosophical nature. They both used science as a means to understand everything, because they knew there is more to everything than what science understand or accepted as fact at the time, and wanted to prove it using science as the method for validation.
      Last edited by Eonnn; 01-21-2021 at 03:11 PM.
      MoonageDaydream and michael79 like this.

    16. #16
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      DanielLove's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Gender
      Posts
      241
      Likes
      642
      Quote Originally Posted by Eonnn View Post
      Quite the contrary my friend, if anything not enough time! and you need to spend more time on them! Just because you fail to see it and have an open mind doesn't make it unreal, only those with eyes to see will see it. We have 2 for vision, and one to see.

      Just because science hasn't advanced enough to understand it yet, doesn't make it untrue. Can't base entire life on science when science doesn't even fully understand consciousness or our place in reality and how it works. Many great scientists like Einstein and Tesla, believed in more than just science, there are many quotes from both of them which go beyond science into a more philosophical nature. They both used science as a means to understand everything, because they knew there is more to everything than what science understand or accepted as fact at the time, and wanted to prove it using science as the method for validation.

      "don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Einstein.


      (In other words, most of the quotes you believe are likely made by these people are fakes posted on new-age Instagram pages that don't check their sources)

      Anyway, if Dreamviews is anything like it used to be, I think you'll find you'll need to take these beliefs to the "beyond dreaming" section.

      But no, neither DMT or the pineal glad work as you claim they do, you're basically regurgitating misinformation that is easily disproven, but popular among the pseudo-science crowd. I'm sorry but I just don't have the time to argue this with you, but the information is all easily available. But here's a video that covers a few points.
      Last edited by DanielLove; 01-21-2021 at 03:27 PM.

    17. #17
      Lucid Natural Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Eonnn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      LD Count
      1000+
      Gender
      Location
      The Aether
      Posts
      850
      Likes
      328
      DJ Entries
      36
      uh huh, nice assumption there, don't assume because it makes an ass of u and me.
      "Assumptions are made, and most assumptions are wrong" ~Einstein

      So we don't produce DMT when we are born or die? when we sleep each night? people don't experience common themes when taking DMT? we should just ignore this and consider it all hallucination or delusion? correct me if I'm wrong but if it's a delusion then why the common shared similarities between multiple accounts from different people... surely if it was pure hallucinatory the experience would differ from person to person with only slight commonalities randomly here and there. Also, consider the fact we don't experience reality directly, it's all just a perception created inside our brain of what our senses tell us reality to be. The image you see right now of reality is actually a mental representation in your brain and not the actual reality. If you don't question things, or question reality, you will struggle with lucid dreaming and many other things too.

      But I digress...

      Yes Einstein was very wise indeed, hence why I don't believe everything I read on the internet (which includes your posts), and instead I learn from my own experiences and experiments and study sources not limited to just the internet.
      Last edited by Eonnn; 01-21-2021 at 04:31 PM.
      michael79 likes this.

    18. #18
      Dream Guide Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV
      MoonageDaydream's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Gender
      Location
      Tropical South Florida
      Posts
      1,094
      Likes
      1313
      DJ Entries
      74
      Quote Originally Posted by DanielLove View Post
      [B]Anyway, if Dreamviews is anything like it used to be, I think you'll find you'll need to take these beliefs to the "beyond dreaming" section.
      I don't think we're not allowed to talk about pseudo-sceience or spirituality outside of beyond dreaming. I just think posts that get created around those subjects are supposed to be there. Heck, I talk about spirituality all the time.... haven't gotten in trouble yet

      Daniel and Eonnn, it's okay to have a different views on the issue. It's important that we accept that others are going to disagree (and be respectful). And, we need to accept that they may not base their ideas on mainstream science, and that's OK. We all have brains, and we can judge for ourselves what to believe. What one sees as misinformation, another sees as subjective truth.
      Last edited by MoonageDaydream; 01-21-2021 at 11:16 PM.
      Eonnn, Sivason, Highlander and 4 others like this.
      Check out the Lucid Dreaming Book Club: May-June
      Have a suggestion? Book Club Suggestion Thread

    19. #19
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class
      DanielLove's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2014
      Gender
      Posts
      241
      Likes
      642
      Ah, I see Dreamviews has considerably lowered it's standards over the years. It used to have a very strict policy to keep speculative spirituality confined to beyond dreaming, in order to not fall into the trap that almost all dream forums fall into, namely being overrun with vague assumptions and "spiritual" debates over unprovable assertions.

      Anyway, this thread is being derailed considerably, as is often the case when pseudo-science gets involved. Which is why, I'd imagine, those rules were originally implemented.
      Either way, if DV is becoming one of "those" spaces, I can see why it's lost its popularity among the more rational minded dreamers. It certainly doesn't appeal to me.

      The simple fact regarding DMT is that what Eonn is saying is easily proven to be entirely out of touch with evidence. It's not a case of "all subjective truths are equal", that's just a wonderful way to build a space where nothing of value is discussed, and it becomes just some kind of hierarchical in-group where everyone sycophantically agrees with whatever is said. Personally, I think if someone's argument can't stand a little criticism, it's not a valid argument. And to take that personally is a very odd.

      As someone who has been a part of this community since the very start, it really is apparent that there is an air of sugar-coated hostility going on in these forums recently. It's very unpleasant from the perspective of someone just popping back in to share a few thoughts.

      I'll say, thanks but no thanks, to you MoonageDaydream, I don't buy into happy-clappy let's all agree with everyone all the time mentality. It's a sure-fire way to sit on the fence so hard that you split yourself in two. It also leads to this kind of bubbling poorly hidden resentment that comes across as passive-aggressive, that is just bubbling under the surface of the "try to be nice to everyone" posts.

      I remember now why I stopped getting involved in conversations here. I'll stick with occasionally sharing posts relevant to the subject for those lurkers here who are more interested in the subject than the politics of the forum and the personal beliefs of individual members.
      Last edited by DanielLove; 01-22-2021 at 02:38 PM.
      Sivason and Summerlander like this.

    20. #20
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class Vivid Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Highlander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      797
      Likes
      1855
      DJ Entries
      387
      I don't know about current Dreamviews policy as such. However the moderators should consider adding a post 'dislike' button in future.

      Daniel, not everybody is going to agree, period. That's how forums work. All this is in my opinion is a mountain made from a molehill. It's not like Eonnn wrote a dissertation on DMT and the role of the pineal gland. He was not trying to indoctrinate, convert or spam anybody by adding links to a website selling mp3s or ayahuasca.

      Rather than use virtue signalling and apply the fanboi science crusade, you could have just answered 'Melatonin' for starters.

      I think it was unfair that you singled out MoonageDaydream for criticism either. She tried to unify the situation. Indeed at the start of this thread she called you out, rather than sit on the fence.

      Maybe we can all agree to disagree. Good luck.
      Last edited by Highlander; 01-22-2021 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling
      "Reject culture..." "Put the Art pedal to the metal!"
      - Terence McKenna

    21. #21
      Rebellious scientist Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Voldmer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2013
      LD Count
      534
      Gender
      Location
      Denmark
      Posts
      642
      Likes
      671
      Quote Originally Posted by DanielLove View Post
      As someone who has been a part of this community since the very start, it really is apparent that there is an air of sugar-coated hostility going on in these forums recently.
      You mean, people politely disagreeing? Personally, I don't think either of the alternatives, swearing and cursing at one another, or forcing oneself to agree with something one does not agree with, are in any way attractive.

      In this world, and in this forum, there are hard-core materialism fanboys*, and there are equally hard-core spiritual seekers, and there are those who haven't been swayed by either side yet. We're all entitled to speak our minds, and if we are such inclined, and able to do so, we may prove that we are right. We may also abstain from providing such proof, and that is obviously what all of us, your self included, practically do.

      *Whether or not this is polite is admittedly open for debate; it was not meant to be sugar-coated.
      Last edited by Voldmer; 01-22-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Footnote for clarification (I love footnotes)
      Eonnn, Sivason, Highlander and 5 others like this.
      So ... is this the real universe, or is it just a preliminary study?

    22. #22
      Dream Guide Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class Made lots of Friends on DV
      MoonageDaydream's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Gender
      Location
      Tropical South Florida
      Posts
      1,094
      Likes
      1313
      DJ Entries
      74
      Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
      I think it was unfair that you singled out MoonageDaydream for criticism either. She tried to unify the situation. Indeed at the start of this thread she called you out, rather than sit on the fence.
      Thank you, I appreciate this comment.

      Quote Originally Posted by DanielLove View Post
      Ah, I see Dreamviews has considerably lowered it's standards over the years. It used to have a very strict policy to keep speculative spirituality confined to beyond dreaming, in order to not fall into the trap that almost all dream forums fall into, namely being overrun with vague assumptions and "spiritual" debates over unprovable assertions.

      Anyway, this thread is being derailed considerably, as is often the case when pseudo-science gets involved. Which is why, I'd imagine, those rules were originally implemented.
      Either way, if DV is becoming one of "those" spaces, I can see why it's lost its popularity among the more rational minded dreamers. It certainly doesn't appeal to me.

      The simple fact regarding DMT is that what Eonn is saying is easily proven to be entirely out of touch with evidence. It's not a case of "all subjective truths are equal", that's just a wonderful way to build a space where nothing of value is discussed, and it becomes just some kind of hierarchical in-group where everyone sycophantically agrees with whatever is said. Personally, I think if someone's argument can't stand a little criticism, it's not a valid argument. And to take that personally is a very odd.

      As someone who has been a part of this community since the very start, it really is apparent that there is an air of sugar-coated hostility going on in these forums recently. It's very unpleasant from the perspective of someone just popping back in to share a few thoughts.

      I'll say, thanks but no thanks, to you MoonageDaydream, I don't buy into happy-clappy let's all agree with everyone all the time mentality. It's a sure-fire way to sit on the fence so hard that you split yourself in two. It also leads to this kind of bubbling poorly hidden resentment that comes across as passive-aggressive, that is just bubbling under the surface of the "try to be nice to everyone" posts.

      I remember now why I stopped getting involved in conversations here. I'll stick with occasionally sharing posts relevant to the subject for those lurkers here who are more interested in the subject than the politics of the forum and the personal beliefs of individual members.
      Daniel, I am not saying you should agree with everything and everyone. Let me be clear: I am saying that you should disagree respectfully. That means not attacking another person's character or using aggressive speech. It means allowing them to have the space to be different from you, while maintaining your own opinion.
      Eonnn, Sivason, Highlander and 4 others like this.
      Check out the Lucid Dreaming Book Club: May-June
      Have a suggestion? Book Club Suggestion Thread

    23. #23
      Lucid Dreamer Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV Created Dream Journal
      Summerlander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Gender
      Posts
      192
      Likes
      158
      DJ Entries
      4
      Not to escalate the situation, but there are demonstrable truths that apparently manifest in objective reality regardless of subjective interpretations.

      To bring some clarity here, as I see it—take it or leave it—and I do see the point about staying neutral at all costs being unhelpful (but), is that I see in this particular case valid points as well as perhaps prematurely jumping the gun on both sides.

      The rigour to ascertain what the facts are should always remain, hence science and reason, regardless of what we would like to be true about reality—otherwise we are lost and won't progress. Science is not a reservoir of complete knowledge; it is only a method of enquiry in our attempt to determine what is true and empirically verifiable.

      We can verify that, for example, Einstein never lived long enough to witness Internet domination, ergo, Einstein never said 'Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.' In a similar vein, I have a collection of essays by Einstein proving that he was actually an atheist despite the fact that he did say, 'God does not play dice.' (Only he was not talking about any sort of religious god at all, he poetically meant the laws of physics.)

      We should also remember Karl Popper's rule: If a theory is not falsifiable, it remains hypothetical. Yes, it could be true that the universe is made of tiny little strings, but if you can never show this to be the case, it is worth jack. Daniel Love's strongest point resides here.

      Now, I have read Rick Strassman's DMT: The Spirit Molecule and there are indeed some parallels between lucid dreaming and DMT trips as reported by numerous subjects in the lab. There is good evidence suggesting that endogenous DMT from the pineal gland is involved in constructing our entire perception of this world and who knows what else. More research is required and we shouldn't jump the gun here either way.

      If we start going down a stringent epistemological path—questioning what we can claim to know with the senses, then we are forced into a humble corner. We don't see the world directly. This is Eonnn's strongest point. We see a mental model.

      If we ask, 'What does the world really look like?', we must logically 'answer' with 'To whom?' The bat perceives a world of echolocation. The bumblebee detects frequencies of light which are invisible to us. A dog's world is, according to the conic receptors in his eyes, virtually colourless—albeit rich in smells.

      Einstein's strongest argument: It is all relative.

      There is also, a way in which to disagree, indeed. And show the person why. I don't think the truth is that hidden. MoonageDaydream's brilliant point. And we must also seek to be honest with ourselves. How much can we really claim to know?
      Last edited by Summerlander; 01-22-2021 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Additional
      Eonnn, Highlander, Voldmer and 3 others like this.
      THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.

    24. #24
      Lucid Natural Achievements:
      1 year registered Created Dream Journal Veteran First Class 5000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Tagger First Class
      Eonnn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2005
      LD Count
      1000+
      Gender
      Location
      The Aether
      Posts
      850
      Likes
      328
      DJ Entries
      36
      Hi Summerlander,

      I wouldn't mind seeing those Einstein essays proving him to be atheist.
      I've heard someone quote him once saying when asked the meaning of life or nature of reality he said "I'm not sure... ask Tesla"
      The poster was implying Einstein gained much of his knowledge from Tesla, and that Tesla is the real genius here not Einstein.
      They both lived around the same period of time, so it's not completely unfathomable.
      So if you have essays to share, please do! Perhaps in a completely new topic though or a PM.

      Anyway, I have moved on from this topic nothing more to say, and it would be pointless to continue any further discussion with Daniel as he seems unable to understand from another's perspective. Not worth wasting time trying to convince people that aren't ready to hear this type of thing or willing to entertain the idea. What Voldmer, Highlander and Moonage Dream have said, I can agree with and are totally valid points.

    25. #25
      Administrator Achievements:
      1 year registered Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class 10000 Hall Points Stickie King Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze
      Sivason's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2007
      LD Count
      2500ish
      Gender
      Location
      Idaho
      Posts
      4,507
      Likes
      5339
      DJ Entries
      399
      Daniel Love is more than welcome here. If the owners minded the linking they would deal with it. It seems like at least three of you were casting bad vibes on him for making a thread, something I wish more people would do (make threads).
      Eonnn, I think your claim about the DMT device would need a link to some sort of article to be considered much. In this case you did come across as claiming knowledge in a subject that needs some sort of supportive info. That is ok. I have no problem that you bring it up, but am just trying to break down what happened here.
      Daniel Love, Thanks for posting a new thread, sorry I did not realize what was going on to derail it. To clarify, Beyond Dreaming is there for topics that are in the mystic/ new age category, but members can certainly bring up such topics in other threads IF it is not off-topic. Eonnn was talking about some sort of dream device and then responding to related comments, so I am not calling those off topic. What was off topic and not ok was all the stuff about spamming directed at you. I assume that is the source of your aggressive responses, not so much the fact that it got kind of far from science.

      I am moving the posts about spamming out of Daniel's thread to the lounge. https://www.dreamviews.com/senseless...ml#post2240690
      Last edited by Sivason; 01-25-2021 at 02:04 AM.
      gab, Summerlander and Venryx like this.
      Peace Be With You. Oh, and sure, The Force too, why not.



      "Instruction in Dream Yoga"

    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Lucid Mind Hack - How to Use Coincidence for Lucidity
      By DanielLove in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: 05-23-2017, 03:26 AM
    2. DO NOT READ THIS THREAD (Lucid Dreaming Mind Hack)
      By DanielLove in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 12
      Last Post: 02-08-2017, 07:02 AM
    3. Replies: 17
      Last Post: 12-12-2013, 09:57 PM
    4. Why is lucid dreaming so closely related to unproven phenomena
      By GangsterPanda in forum General Lucid Discussion
      Replies: 15
      Last Post: 12-20-2012, 06:09 AM
    5. Sleep music deprivation a hour tech, with wild
      By wendylove in forum Attaining Lucidity
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 06-26-2007, 07:58 PM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •