• 1 Post By Hilary
    • 2 Post By RavenOfShadow
    • 3 Post By robertcox88

Thread: Love in your dreams

LD Count
      n/a
      DJ Entries

Love in your dreams

I don't check DV often, usually I am called back but I want to discuss love in your dreams.
      That special kind of love you reserve for your guides, and your reflections of yourself.
      The strongest kind of love in my opinion.
      Post here your experiences or tell us how you feel against it.
      I can't promise I'll admin this thread if it gets big but...
      all is welcome.

Nine Lives in Theory Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      DJ Entries
      I suppose having "love" for dream projections is a bit narcissistic, by definition. But I think you can find symbols of the divine in dreams, and treat these as objects of devotion. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

I havent had a GF in a few years (im 19) and i once had a dream where i had gotten a GF and the love i felt in the dream was really strong and when i woke up i had this sadness that she had left me because i woke up. That feeling just lasted a few minutes though.

Oneironaut Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      <span class='glow_9400D3'>OneUp</span>'s Avatar
      LD Count
      1+ Every Night
      Here
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by LiquidNitrogen View Post
      I havent had a GF in a few years (im 19) and i once had a dream where i had gotten a GF and the love i felt in the dream was really strong and when i woke up i had this sadness that she had left me because i woke up. That feeling just lasted a few minutes though.
      As embarrassing as it is for me to say, I haven't had one in a few years either and I too have had more than 1 dream where I had gotten a GF. The love feels amazing man. Then once I wake up from those dreams I was left with a strong feeling to go back. I don't know what it is, but every time I have those dreams I get a really strong feeling of love for the girl even though its just a dream. I think its about time for me to break the single pringle streak- I'm not desperate though hahaha, its just nice to have a gf.
      I wouldn't say these love experiences are unhealthy, unless you take them to a certain degree. Some people really fall in love with Dream Characters and always find themselves going back to see them every night. As long as you aren't doing that I'd say you are good.

"If we doubted our fears instead of doubting our dreams, imagine how much in life we'd accomplish." ~Joel Brown
      "Your background and circumstances may have influenced who you are, but you are responsible for who you become." ~Darren Hardy

Goals:
      -Become Lucid in every dream every night
      -Perfect the time dilation watch
      -Continue to have a dream plan for most of my lucid dreams

LD Count
      n/a
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by ThreeCat View Post
      I suppose having "love" for dream projections is a bit narcissistic, by definition. But I think you can find symbols of the divine in dreams, and treat these as objects of devotion. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
      Well, of course its narcissistic, but it stems from an understanding of the self, and that's easily the simplest reason anybody gets into lucid dreaming.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      A few
      DJ Entries
      I would love to fall in love with a dream character. Poetic. No? '

Anything to motivate me to actually try and sleep. It actually never really surfaced in dreams but I do dabble in self-love once in a while.

Nine Lives in Theory Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Nhuc View Post
      Well, of course its narcissistic, but it stems from an understanding of the self, and that's easily the simplest reason anybody gets into lucid dreaming.
      How does falling in love with a DC stem from an understanding of the self?

Dreamer Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points
      Zone 10b
      DJ Entries
      I wouldn't be surprised if the love you feel for DCs in your dreams could be manifestations of your anima/animus. If you believe in Jungian archetypes, anyways. If so, it could be helpful for understanding the missing half of your personality, so that that you can become more whole/happy in waking life.
      Dthoughts likes this.

Banned
      LD Count
      I don't really think that falling in love with a DC is narcissistic, because the feeling in itself is based on something that you feel for "someone else" - in this case, a person in one of your dreams.
      This will make you feel as if that dream character were a completely different person, so those feelings are "aimed" at someone else, in a way, even if it is technically your own subconscious self.

But in any case, I have had a few dreams like this - the last one was when I was sitting next to a very cute girl in some kind of auditorium (it looked kind of like a cinema, where the front seats were very low and then each line of seats was slightly higher up) and I was kissing her and holding her hands while a beautiful melody played in the background - then I met her in another dream scene shortly after that, and she smiled shyly at me.
      Needless to say, that was a very pleasant dream and it pretty much made my day.
      Dthoughts, Hilary and maus like this.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Made lots of Friends on DV 1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      A few
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by MoonageDaydream View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised if the love you feel for DCs in your dreams could be manifestations of your anima/animus. If you believe in Jungian archetypes, anyways. If so, it could be helpful for understanding the missing half of your personality, so that that you can become more whole/happy in waking life.
      My thoughts exactly!
      Hilary likes this.

LD Count
      n/a
      DJ Entries
      I'm going to try to reply to you all best I can in one post

that's less your dg and more a longing feeling, I hope you find somebody you can share things with, if not, well I doubt you'd be any less happy.

As embarrassing as it is for me to say, I haven't had one in a few years either and I too have had more than 1 dream where I had gotten a GF. The love feels amazing man. Then once I wake up from those dreams I was left with a strong feeling to go back. I don't know what it is, but every time I have those dreams I get a really strong feeling of love for the girl even though its just a dream. I think its about time for me to break the single pringle streak- I'm not desperate though hahaha, its just nice to have a gf.
      I wouldn't say these love experiences are unhealthy, unless you take them to a certain degree. Some people really fall in love with Dream Characters and always find themselves going back to see them every night. As long as you aren't doing that I'd say you are good.

Your mind is just showing you want you want right now, so regardless of how often you see that kind of "love" its all your mind just communicating with itself.

I at least believe that our dreams are a experience for the self, since every dream character is someone we've seen, but I pinpoint the love of a dream guide, because those are the manifestations of our own mind, we create our dreams and we create our guides, not on purpose but because in our own minds that's what makes sense for us. Much like the next guy said, anima. Knowing what you want in a partner is the beginning step of a dream guide, because they are your equal in your own mind.

That's pretty much what it is, your mind is just guiding you on the path you know is best, which is why dream guides are such strong personalities in your dreams. They never really change, you can pinpoint them, because your mind is throwing up flags for you to notice when you see them. When I went through the kabbalistic gates I remember my happiest dream was when I met my first guide. And even now they call me sufi, they call me teacher because when they ask me a question It is through knowledge I answer.

I don't really think that falling in love with a DC is narcissistic, because the feeling in itself is based on something that you feel for "someone else" - in this case, a person in one of your dreams.
      This will make you feel as if that dream character were a completely different person, so those feelings are "aimed" at someone else, in a way, even if it is technically your own subconscious self.

As it stems from the love and knowledge of the self it is based of narcissism although healthy. you might see them as "someone else" while you are dreaming, but you made them for a purpose and that was to get through your barriers to reason and talk with yourself. The easiest and first gate is knowledge of your sexuality and how you feel love. So our real dream guides are usually, if not always a manifestation of the fact. It's what allows you to search them out and find them immediately.
      I've had times where I was searching for seconds and when I asked to see it I was immediately rewarded and could not control myself. Of course whether it was a wasted opportunity to learn more about myself is up for debate, because that kind of raunchy sexuality is an experience in itself. And I've been living with the same girl for 4 years now. Your guides are you, in the deepest and shallowest sense, they are a path you made for yourself to better understand yourself. Honestly, not treating them like the best of you imho is a waste of dreaming, and a waste of your time.

Member Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      UK
      I don't believe that all DC's are made by out mind, and don't treat them so (although there are some obvious ones), so I like to think that my situation is slightly different. You see, there is a DC that I love and even have some kind of relationship with in the dreamworld, but the difference is that this is the DC of someone I know in waking life and whom I love. I am not in a relationship with this person in waking life, other than being friends, although it all begun with a mutual attraction... So yeah, the dreams I have with her are just the best! I would even go so far as to say that these dreams experiences allowed me to understand and experience unconditional love. Sometimes she clearly seems like a projection, but often enough not. I like to think there's a true connection and perhaps that she even dreams it all too

I do occasionally have dreams where I am in love and in a relationship with a random DC, but it feels quite different for some reason.
      Hilary and JadeGreen like this.
      "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving."

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

Lurker
      You know what I've always wondered? If you can actually fall in love with a dream character. Like, every lucid dream you would talk to the same person, and form a friendship/relationship with them. Of course it's really just in your mind, but considering how real they act I'm sure it's happened before, haha.
      JadeGreen likes this.

Hetrochromic Oneironaut Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Made lots of Friends on DV Huge Dream Journal Populated Wall Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      LD Count
      Not a contest
      Here and Now
      DJ Entries
      I do occasionally have dreams where I am in love and in a relationship with a random DC, but it feels quite different for some reason.
      You know what I've always wondered? If you can actually fall in love with a dream character. Like, every lucid dream you would talk to the same person, and form a friendship/relationship with them. Of course it's really just in your mind, but considering how real they act I'm sure it's happened before, haha.
      I've seen a couple of threads of this nature before and I think that it is VERY possible to fall in love with a dream character. But I believe in a dream, love takes on a vastly different nature than it does in the waking world. I do know that a couple of my lucid dreaming friends (not members of this website) have admitted to having crushes on or even dating dream characters.

In dreams, I think that there is the distinction between love and desire. (Love being an emotional connection to the person and desire being a urge to pleasure yourself with that person.) And like in the waking world, you can have either one, or both in within a single dream character. Although I don't think desire is all that different in dreams, I think that emotional love is different than the love you may feel for someone you love in waking life, or a member of your family that you care for.

But, because this character is either a projection of your subconscious or a spiritual entity depending upon your point of view, the love that you have for them will be different than the love you feel for a crush or your family. Exactly how it is different, I can't exactly say.

Though it brings up the question of 'is it right'. Most of modern society would say that it is not socially acceptable to be in love with a dream character. It is no more socially acceptable than having an imaginary boyfriend/girlfriend or pretending to date a fictional character.
      Rodrodrod likes this.

South Carolina
      I've met crushes and stuff in my dreams. But I remember having a strong feeling of love once. I it was a non LD, and I had a newborn in my hands. I loved him/her so much. When I woke up I had this huge feeling of loss.
      Hilary likes this.

Returned Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Tagger First Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      LD Count
      Irrelevant
      Colorado
      DJ Entries
      My dream's emotions are usually amplified to an extreme, no matter what it is.

With that said, love is so easy to come by and experience for me in dreams that it's sort of lost it's feelings within that world. Only when I am lucid and have control over my feelings does it hold any meaning to me.

Yet, in non-lucids, I always feel the emotion in the moment, and when I wake up, I don't really care.
      The bird breaks free of the egg.
      The egg is the world.
      Who would to be born must first destroy a world.

Member Achievements:
      Tagger Second Class 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      UK
      Quote Originally Posted by JadeGreen View Post
      I've seen a couple of threads of this nature before and I think that it is VERY possible to fall in love with a dream character. But I believe in a dream, love takes on a vastly different nature than it does in the waking world. I do know that a couple of my lucid dreaming friends (not members of this website) have admitted to having crushes on or even dating dream characters.

In dreams, I think that there is the distinction between love and desire. (Love being an emotional connection to the person and desire being a urge to pleasure yourself with that person.) And like in the waking world, you can have either one, or both in within a single dream character. Although I don't think desire is all that different in dreams, I think that emotional love is different than the love you may feel for someone you love in waking life, or a member of your family that you care for.

But, because this character is either a projection of your subconscious or a spiritual entity depending upon your point of view, the love that you have for them will be different than the love you feel for a crush or your family. Exactly how it is different, I can't exactly say.

Though it brings up the question of 'is it right'. Most of modern society would say that it is not socially acceptable to be in love with a dream character. It is no more socially acceptable than having an imaginary boyfriend/girlfriend or pretending to date a fictional character.
      I see what you mean. Sometimes I wonder if I'm actually in love with this girl or just the idea I may have of her in my dreams. I've also thought of that question of right or wrong many times, and have even tried to end whatever ties I have with this person in my dreams only to find her returning... It's weird because in the dreamworld she really does seem to love me, but in waking life I can never tell. Also, I have realized that love in itself is very selfish, considering how one person usually has to make someone else "fall in love with them" (not in all situations of course). So, in my case I hope it's not wrong for me to dream of this person, even with the slight possibility of them even dreaming it too. In regards to being acceptable to society at large, I'm sure it would be "sick" or something; considering people already find it weird just talking about lucid dreams a lot of the time. They don't seem to understand how real it actually feels I guess.
      "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving."

The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho

Dreamer Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Veteran First Class Made Friends on DV Vivid Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points
      Zone 10b
      DJ Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by alanaelease View Post
      I've met crushes and stuff in my dreams. But I remember having a strong feeling of love once. I it was a non LD, and I had a newborn in my hands. I loved him/her so much. When I woke up I had this huge feeling of loss.
      Oh, I had something like that happen once, too. I was lucid, wandering through a hotel. I went inside someone's bathroom, and an elderly man was taking a bath. I decided to hop into the tub with him, and asked him some questions. He just stared at me with a huge smile on his face. I could tell something about him was off mentally - but there was this strong feeling of love. When I awoke, I felt like it was my son as an adult (my son is autistic). I cried for a good hour after I awoke.
      GetDreaming likes this.

Hermit Achievements:
      1 year registered
      LD Count
      The Woods
      I think i fell in love (feelings in dreams might be tricky) with a DC a when i was young (15-16 yo). It felt really amazing. We had gotten our own place and everything and were so happy. Then she started throwing up worms and suffocated in my arms. I was bummed out the whole day...

Member Achievements:
      3 years registered 1000 Hall Points

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidNitrogen View Post
      Same here I wake up sad when I have one of those dreams cause I'm they can't be real

LD Count
      n/a
      DJ Entries
      not attemping to necro this thread but, your DC's are a reflection of your self. so you naturally feel a strong belonging to them, and when you understand them its a very loving feeling.

Member Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal Tagger First Class Referrer Bronze Veteran Second Class 1000 Hall Points
      LD Count
      ~250
      Boston, MA
      DJ Entries
      Dream love is like the song of the sirens. Beautiful and all encompassing in the moment, but actually false, distracting, and often times hurtful. The amount of posts I've seen here about "help, I am in love with a dream character" is impressive. Love like that just serves to derail you from your ultimate goal of obtaining and retaining lucidity. Perhaps you fall in love with a guide, but even still it is simply a figment of the imagination; and once you realize that you will never be able to truly touch them or know them, the sadness will be greater than any joy gained.

Avoid it and focus on honing your craft.
      ResamVi and Nhuc like this.

LD Count
      Sacramento, California, United States
      This is interesting to me. I feel like I could only pat myself on the back for creating something actually provided me with a lot of emotional connection... I mean you are unconscious for God's sake creating somebody that you actually have feelings for. That to me should only be celebrated. That is incredible. I see what Raven of Shadow is saying though and I can imagine some people's strife when it's something they can't sustain. Hey we can't be high forever though...
      RavenOfShadow, Rodrodrod and Nhuc like this.