• Lucid Dreaming - Dream Views




    Results 1 to 24 of 24
    Like Tree41Likes
    • 9 Post By Rothgar
    • 2 Post By gab
    • 1 Post By JadeGreen
    • 1 Post By dutchraptor
    • 1 Post By Rothgar
    • 1 Post By TwitchLucidity
    • 5 Post By Whatsnext
    • 7 Post By Laurelindo
    • 3 Post By Laurelindo
    • 4 Post By Sibyline
    • 1 Post By FryingMan
    • 2 Post By Laurelindo
    • 2 Post By dutchraptor
    • 1 Post By Sensei
    • 1 Post By Laurelindo

    Thread: non-Acceptance of LD's

    1. #1
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Rothgar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      LD Count
      2/week - 400+
      Gender
      Location
      Matthews, NC
      Posts
      695
      Likes
      347

      non-Acceptance of LD's

      I should have learned by now...I really should keep my mouth shut about my lucid dreaming. Last night i had my longest, best LD ever. I even got to walk on water...been going through various miracles of Jesus...a personal goal of mine. But whenever I share with family and friends they think I am retreating from real life, more interested in fantasy than real things, and "everyone" thinks I should quit. They are very worried about me. Sorry...I know we've threaded this topic before but I have to vent somewhere. There are none so blind as they that will not see.
      gab, Sibyline, Dead and 6 others like this.

    2. #2
      gab
      USA gab is offline
      Administrator Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Stickie King 25000 Hall Points Populated Wall Huge Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points
      gab's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      LD Count
      306 events
      Gender
      Location
      California Republic
      Posts
      9,574
      Likes
      10555
      DJ Entries
      783
      Some people are just not ready.

      And I feel for you. Sometimes I'm almost bursting, wanting to share with my mom, but I know she is scared for me and wishes I stoped.

      Share with us, here on DV. In Lucid experiences, or in a DJ. It's not the same as telling them to your waking life friend, but... Life of a lucid dreamer.

    3. #3
      Hetrochromic Oneironaut Achievements:
      Referrer Bronze Made lots of Friends on DV Huge Dream Journal Populated Wall Tagger First Class 10000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      JadeGreen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      LD Count
      Not a contest
      Gender
      Location
      Here and Now
      Posts
      921
      Likes
      2492
      DJ Entries
      656
      I hate this. I can talk with my friends and family fairly normally about everyday dreams. But whenever I start to harp on things like the induction techniques or my dream guide or something, they start to give me funny looks like I am seven years old and making up stories. The reason this really sucks is if you had a friend that you could talk openly about lucid dreaming in real life, you might have a lot more lucids because you could swap techniques and get each other motivated.
      I actually have two friends that are relatively open to this. My friend S keeps a dream journal and uses his dreams as inspiration for a comic strip that he writes. He also once eluded to being a member of some spiritual community. (Probably similar to Dreamviews.) So I can be fully open about what I am doing.
      My friend C is a very spiritual person, (she's all into meditation and astral projecting) and she often shares her dreams with me. On the days we meet, often the first thing we do is swap stories all of our dreams. C likes to interpret my dreams and often provides an overly-detailed explanation of why I dreamed about x y and z.
      The problem is neither of them actually practice lucid dreaming. My friend S has admitted to LDing here and there, and C actually goes the other way, she tries not to become lucid as she thinks it distorts the meaning of her dreams. But with both these people I can be open about my lucid dreams and not get weird looks.
      Now if I found two people who I can be open about lucid dreaming with, they must be everywhere. And if not, like gab said, there is always the members of this community.
      gab likes this.

      Dreaming Partner: DawnEye11
      Dream guides wiki

    4. #4
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      dutchraptor's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Gender
      Location
      Tranquility
      Posts
      2,913
      Likes
      3042
      DJ Entries
      6
      ya it's a shame you have no lucid dreaming friends or family. Some people just aren't lenient enough to accept another world-view. I also angers me when people assume that an experience is less worthy for having been experienced in a dream.

      Anyways, congrats on the lucid. That is a wonderful achievement
      Sensei likes this.

    5. #5
      Sunshine Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Referrer Bronze Populated Wall Tagger First Class 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      sparkley's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2014
      LD Count
      100+
      Gender
      Location
      canada, ontario
      Posts
      462
      Likes
      295
      DJ Entries
      57
      Maybe don't tell them?

      Lucid dreams make your dreams come true!!

    6. #6
      Twitcher TwitchLucidity's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Gender
      Posts
      213
      Likes
      205
      DJ Entries
      17
      My family, they are starting to get tired to hear it.
      But sorry man, that sucks.

      They just don't know how awesome Lucid Dreaming is.

    7. #7
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Veteran First Class
      Rothgar's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      LD Count
      2/week - 400+
      Gender
      Location
      Matthews, NC
      Posts
      695
      Likes
      347
      Thanks for the verbal support. Unless I find a friend who can LD i am just not going to share, except here. Kinda sad it's this way.
      TwitchLucidity likes this.

    8. #8
      Twitcher TwitchLucidity's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2013
      Gender
      Posts
      213
      Likes
      205
      DJ Entries
      17
      Look bro if you ever want to talk about something lucid dream related you can talk to me about it

      I am the most superstitious person ever so I will believe in anything
      gab likes this.

    9. #9
      Familiar Phantom Achievements:
      Created Dream Journal 1000 Hall Points 3 years registered
      Whatsnext's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2013
      LD Count
      59
      Gender
      Location
      Celephaïs
      Posts
      269
      Likes
      265
      DJ Entries
      4
      I am more interested in fantasy than real things, I see it as one of my better traits

      I've told my dad about LDing, I knew he would find it interesting. I haven't mentioned it to my mom, I know she would have a reaction like your friends & family did.

      Life is a long story of "normal" people trying to pidgeonhole you out of your unusual traits and pursuits, it's a very universal experience. Trying to get the "normal" people to be more open-minded tends to be a wasted effort. I've tried and long since given up. Just remember that only you know who you are and what's best for yourself, others can only take wild shots in the dark, which most are more than eager to do...

    10. #10
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      Laurelindo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      LD Count
      52
      Gender
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      705
      Likes
      623
      Whenever I mention lucid dreaming to someone I feel like Morpheus from The Matrix when he speaks to Neo in the Construct.

      Person - "No...! I don't believe in that...! It's impossible! "
      Me - "I didn't say it would be easy to believe this, my friend - I am just telling you the truth about dreaming. "
      Person - "Stop! "

      ...Yeah, pretty much like that actually. <_<
      Last edited by Laurelindo; 02-18-2014 at 03:50 PM.

    11. #11
      Aeterna Somnia Soulless's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      69
      Likes
      62
      DJ Entries
      3
      I'm unsure why you would feel the need to share such personal experiences with people who could so easily harm you with rejection of those experiences. They're only human, they can't accept all of you so wholly and utterly, especially something so deeply introspective of your self.

      I'm fairly known amongst the few people I tell my dreams to that I have intense, vivid, movie-like dreams. It's often easier to chalk it up to something sciencey sounding like "there is a study going around involving a large amount of brain chemistry that makes sense of more vivid XXX YYY". Lucid Dreaming as far as I understand is a system that can't really be understood, really understood, without having both interest and investment enough to experience it for yourself. Then again, this is as with all things extremely introspective.

    12. #12
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      Laurelindo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      LD Count
      52
      Gender
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      705
      Likes
      623
      Quote Originally Posted by Soulless View Post
      I'm unsure why you would feel the need to share such personal experiences with people who could so easily harm you with rejection of those experiences. They're only human, they can't accept all of you so wholly and utterly, especially something so deeply introspective of your self.

      I'm fairly known amongst the few people I tell my dreams to that I have intense, vivid, movie-like dreams. It's often easier to chalk it up to something sciencey sounding like "there is a study going around involving a large amount of brain chemistry that makes sense of more vivid XXX YYY". Lucid Dreaming as far as I understand is a system that can't really be understood, really understood, without having both interest and investment enough to experience it for yourself. Then again, this is as with all things extremely introspective.
      The thing about lucid dreaming is that it is such a fantastic skill to have that you eagerly want everyone to know about it, because it's something that is too precious to miss out on.
      I sincerely believe that almost anyone would love lucid dreaming if they really got an opportunity to experience it, because I frankly cannot see any reason why anyone would not want to experience lucid dreams, other than that some people might feel that they never "shut down" properly, but personally I think vivid lucid dreams make me feel more invigorated than normal in the mornings, and I have on several occasions woken up laughing like a freak to myself for hours just because the lucid dream I had was so incredibly cool.
      Flying among dream clouds is incredibly beautiful and relaxing, and the fact that lucid dreams give you the potential to experience your wildest desires in stunning realism is an excellent reason to practice lucid dreaming and even make it a part of your lifestyle.
      Last edited by Laurelindo; 02-18-2014 at 04:36 PM.
      gab, dutchraptor and FryingMan like this.

    13. #13
      Member Sibyline's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2013
      LD Count
      5 per month
      Gender
      Posts
      427
      Likes
      884
      DJ Entries
      53
      You have my sympathy and understanding. I get the distinct feeling that lucid dreaming - or dreaming in general - is not to be discussed in civilized conversation. I do tell my dad - specifically to mess with his head because he doesn't believe in lucid dreams but is a DC in a lot of my dreams - but I have given up telling anyone else IRL. Except for my new LD partner, my eldest daughter who has taken up the same hobby and knows exactly what I'm talking about.

      Moral of the story: go forth and procreate! That seems to be easier than converting the non-believers.

    14. #14
      DVA Teacher Achievements:
      Tagger First Class Made lots of Friends on DV Referrer Bronze Huge Dream Journal 10000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class Made Friends on DV
      FryingMan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2013
      LD Count
      252
      Location
      The Present Moment
      Posts
      4,914
      Likes
      6232
      DJ Entries
      703
      Best to keep the enthusiasm on the forums, someone who's never had a LD, or has typical bad/nonexistent dream recall just can't comprehend the joy of an LD or a high vividness / long fun/awesome non-lucid dream.
      Sibyline likes this.
      FryingMan's Unified Theory of Lucid Dreaming: Pay Attention, Reflect, Recall -- Both Day and Night[link]
      FryingMan's Dream Recall Tips -- Awesome Links
      “No amount of security is worth the suffering of a mediocre life chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.”
      "...develop stability in awareness and your dreams will change in extraordinary ways" -- TYoDaS

    15. #15
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      Laurelindo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      LD Count
      52
      Gender
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      705
      Likes
      623
      I sometimes try to kindle other people's interest for lucid dreaming in a more discrete way, by going over to the library at my university and sitting down somewhere so that people can notice me, and then reading "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" (I love reading that book anyway, so what the hell) and making sure to hold it so that people can see the cover.
      I guess I'm hoping that someone will eventually come and tell me that they also practice lucid dreaming and were happy to see someone reading a book about it, but in my country people rarely come up and speak to strangers unless they are at a party or something, so I'm not expecting anyone to come up to me and mention their interest in lucid dreaming anytime soon - but maybe someday.
      Last edited by Laurelindo; 02-18-2014 at 05:42 PM.
      dutchraptor and gab like this.

    16. #16
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      dutchraptor's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Gender
      Location
      Tranquility
      Posts
      2,913
      Likes
      3042
      DJ Entries
      6
      I try to give off lucid dreaming signs all the time, and I've only ever once been approached.

      Though people are extremely open to the concept of lucid dreaming, they won't try it for themselves. Either out of shear laziness or a feeling of shame. It's usually like 1/5 of the people I meet would be very interested in lucid dreaming (and perhaps 1/100 would go on to try).

      No one can grasp the immense potential they hold until they experience one. Most of us here were invigorated by reading accounts or hearing of stories. Other people need more to go on, but there really is nothing else you can show them.
      Laurelindo and FryingMan like this.

    17. #17
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Sensei's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      LD Count
      Some
      Gender
      Location
      The Depths
      Posts
      4,386
      Likes
      5497
      DJ Entries
      115
      It seems like there has to be a big interest in dreams before learning about it in order to spark enough interest. Someone like me that has always had long vivid dreams, or people that have always loved dreams. If you don't have dreams often, then LDing would sound as crazy (not trying to be judgemental) as AP. If you are someone that is always in the dreamworld, the fact that one could realize that he was dreaming doesn't seem far fetched.

    18. #18
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      Laurelindo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      LD Count
      52
      Gender
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      705
      Likes
      623
      Quote Originally Posted by BrandonBoss View Post
      It seems like there has to be a big interest in dreams before learning about it in order to spark enough interest. Someone like me that has always had long vivid dreams, or people that have always loved dreams. If you don't have dreams often, then LDing would sound as crazy (not trying to be judgemental) as AP. If you are someone that is always in the dreamworld, the fact that one could realize that he was dreaming doesn't seem far fetched.
      Could you please explain what AP is?

    19. #19
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV 5000 Hall Points Vivid Dream Journal Referrer Silver Tagger First Class Populated Wall Veteran First Class
      Sensei's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2012
      LD Count
      Some
      Gender
      Location
      The Depths
      Posts
      4,386
      Likes
      5497
      DJ Entries
      115

    20. #20
      Returned Oneironaught Myke Gregory's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2009
      Gender
      Posts
      100
      Likes
      16
      DJ Entries
      18
      You see, when i have talked to friends about LD'ing they were curious to know more.
      Dont think they were interested as such but still.
      Since 7/02/2014
      LD's: 0
      Goals: Talk to a DC | Go lucid again | Look at what I'm wearing | Observe surroundings | Meet Dream Guide
      Discovered Dream Signs: Strange Locations (I think)

    21. #21
      Aeterna Somnia Soulless's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      69
      Likes
      62
      DJ Entries
      3
      Quote Originally Posted by Laurelindo View Post
      The thing about lucid dreaming is that it is such a fantastic skill to have that you eagerly want everyone to know about it, because it's something that is too precious to miss out on.
      I sincerely believe that almost anyone would love lucid dreaming if they really got an opportunity to experience it, because I frankly cannot see any reason why anyone would not want to experience lucid dreams, other than that some people might feel that they never "shut down" properly, but personally I think vivid lucid dreams make me feel more invigorated than normal in the mornings, and I have on several occasions woken up laughing like a freak to myself for hours just because the lucid dream I had was so incredibly cool.
      Flying among dream clouds is incredibly beautiful and relaxing, and the fact that lucid dreams give you the potential to experience your wildest desires in stunning realism is an excellent reason to practice lucid dreaming and even make it a part of your lifestyle.
      This is the part where I feel that we make our disagreements. Whatever you think is wonderful, doesn't mean that it should apply for anyone else. Do you not have the kind of understanding that other's lives may in fact be drastically different from yours? Even if I have no faith in God, I can understand that a Christian may feel the most intense comfort from their prayer, and as such I won't try to shove my personal beliefs onto them in some insistence that I believe absolutely everyone would be happier if they experience what I experience. The kind of pushing "I'm sure you will be better off if you follow my way" is the same trap that obnoxious religious recruiters and street preachers use. Just because you don't have a reason not to love lucid dreams doesn't mean that there isn't one that exists for other people.

      Personally for example, I would never try to fly or act out my desires in dreams, as I feel it is disrespectful to the dreams and the people I meet in them. I feel it is like taking a wild animal and ripping out its teeth to have it heel at your feet. However, I am sure you feel that such dream control is relaxing and wonderful and you are wholly justified in your usage of dream control and what you wish to do with your dreams. I would recommend, at the very least, to maybe allow some understanding for vastly different experiences than yours. I'm sure there are plenty of experiences that justify having no interest in lucid dreams, such as straight up never remembering dreams, or having such an epic and great waking life that they may feel no real need to peruse dreams.

    22. #22
      Member Achievements:
      1000 Hall Points Made lots of Friends on DV Veteran First Class
      Laurelindo's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      LD Count
      52
      Gender
      Location
      Sweden
      Posts
      705
      Likes
      623
      Quote Originally Posted by Soulless View Post
      This is the part where I feel that we make our disagreements. Whatever you think is wonderful, doesn't mean that it should apply for anyone else. Do you not have the kind of understanding that other's lives may in fact be drastically different from yours? Even if I have no faith in God, I can understand that a Christian may feel the most intense comfort from their prayer, and as such I won't try to shove my personal beliefs onto them in some insistence that I believe absolutely everyone would be happier if they experience what I experience. The kind of pushing "I'm sure you will be better off if you follow my way" is the same trap that obnoxious religious recruiters and street preachers use. Just because you don't have a reason not to love lucid dreams doesn't mean that there isn't one that exists for other people.

      Personally for example, I would never try to fly or act out my desires in dreams, as I feel it is disrespectful to the dreams and the people I meet in them. I feel it is like taking a wild animal and ripping out its teeth to have it heel at your feet. However, I am sure you feel that such dream control is relaxing and wonderful and you are wholly justified in your usage of dream control and what you wish to do with your dreams. I would recommend, at the very least, to maybe allow some understanding for vastly different experiences than yours. I'm sure there are plenty of experiences that justify having no interest in lucid dreams, such as straight up never remembering dreams, or having such an epic and great waking life that they may feel no real need to peruse dreams.
      My point was that I cannot see any concrete reason for anyone to have anything against lucid dreaming if they were to start experiencing it themselves;
      even people who are not interested in lucid dreaming in general have told me about their spontaneous lucid dreams and found them very fascinating.
      The only possible negative aspect I can find about lucid dreaming is that some people might feel that they are "too awake" in the lucid dreams and feel like they don't sleep enough, but except for that I can only see great advantages to lucid dreaming.
      You don't even need to control the lucid dreams, if you want to be surprised and explore the unknown then you are free to do that as well, and let the dream go its own ways.

      I also don't understand what you mean by "disrespectful to the dreams".
      That's like saying it is disrespectful to daydream, because daydreaming is technically a form of lucid dreaming, although not nearly as immersive as real lucid dreams.

    23. #23
      Member Achievements:
      Made lots of Friends on DV Created Dream Journal Tagger Second Class Populated Wall 1000 Hall Points Veteran Second Class
      dutchraptor's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2012
      LD Count
      0 since my last
      Gender
      Location
      Tranquility
      Posts
      2,913
      Likes
      3042
      DJ Entries
      6
      I see absolutely no problem here. It's certainly not something you can compare to shoving your ideology down someone else throat.

      We share the experience because we want other to feel the rush of a lucid dream, to witness the potential of the brain. Lucid dreaming is an entirely natural phenomenon not some story from a book.
      We're fond of it because we know it has the ultimate power to change people without conflicting with their views. We've had every sort of lucid dreamer here, Astral Projectors, Muslims, Catholics, spiritual people, atheists, anti-theists, black people, white people, Irish, Americans, scientists, common folk, teenagers and the elderly. Lucid dreaming is merely a state of consciousness, no bells or whistles attached. We are not forcing a cult on anyone, we merely try to show people the possibilities of the brain, it is up to them how they use that knowledge.

    24. #24
      Member Sibyline's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2013
      LD Count
      5 per month
      Gender
      Posts
      427
      Likes
      884
      DJ Entries
      53
      Boy, that escalated quickly.

    Similar Threads

    1. DAPILD (Determination, Acceptance and Peace)
      By Hypertrophy in forum Research
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 01-09-2009, 07:47 AM
    2. DAPILD (Determination, Acceptance and Peace)
      By Hypertrophy in forum Attaining Lucidity
      Replies: 32
      Last Post: 01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
    3. Acceptance and Flying
      By sephiroth clock in forum Lucid Experiences
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 10-05-2004, 01:21 PM
    4. Check it out, dreams are moving up in social acceptance
      By Umbrasquall in forum The Lounge
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: 08-05-2004, 07:01 AM

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •